Not impressed with BMR parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmustangx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GT
So I had my first outing tonight in my 17 GT Base with 6spd manual. Car is stock with just a MBRP catback and the following suspension mods.
BMR Stuff
Steel Vertical Links
Cradle Bushing kit
and a CB005 Kit
Eiback Sportlines
19x10 wheel with Ohtsu Tires (manufacture of Falken)

NOT IMPRESSED with the BMR parts. I am on stock axles and in fear of breaking one(daily driver) I rug her up to 3k and slipped the clutch. Very minimal spin and then BAM pretty bad wheel hop. I couldn't imagine what it would do if i full on dumped the clutch. Was still able to pull a 13.32 but with a 2.14 60ft.
Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Who installed the BMR parts? What did BMR recommend when you called them?

OP
OP

xmustangx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GT
I did. All torqued to spec. Didn't call. Kinda wondering if my Eibach base shock combo is killing me.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I would say the Sportlines on base shocks/struts is what is ruining your attempts to drag. Get a real shock strut combo in there and some better springs and I could see you getting the 60ft times down. I know the drop from the Sportlines is great, but if you're going for better performance you need a real performance spring.

I stick with Steeda because of how well each of their parts has done for me and the support they provide is amazing. Their Sport springs have a 1" drop all around which is a bit less than Sportlines, but more than what you get from BMR's offerings. They pair well with even the fixed Pro Actions. Not sure what exactly they run for the "Silver Bullet".

If you want to try BMR's combo, I believe Kelly recommends Viking for the shocks.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'm not completely on board with BMR stuff for my own small reasons but before you put them on blast you should work with some of their techs to figure out "your cars" issues. ..which I know they'd be happy to do. (At least before you started a thread like this about them.) There could literally be a dozen variables that's not BMR's fault here. Give them a call, be professional and talk to them about your issues, what you expect from their products to solve and what realistically they can do for you.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So I had my first outing tonight in my 17 GT Base with 6spd manual. Car is stock with just a MBRP catback and the following suspension mods.
BMR Stuff
Steel Vertical Links
Cradle Bushing kit
and a CB005 Kit
Eiback Sportlines
19x10 wheel with Ohtsu Tires (manufacture of Falken)
My money is mostly on the choice of tire (as shown on the Mavis tire site, Ohtsu tires are either all-season or touring types, and none of them show more than 3 stars out of 5 from customer feedback).

Some $ goes on the choice of springs, and pairing those with base shocks sure isn't helping things. I don't offhand know what a Sportline amount of lowering does to the car's SVIC and antisquat, but I'm not seeing it being in the right direction for suppressing wheelhop.

And engine & transmission mount bushing material/stiffness plays a part.

Norm

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Norm hit the nail on the head. You cannot expect to not have any wheel hop with tires like that. 80% or so of hop IS tires, and 80-90% of the remaining 20% is subframe/IRS deflection.

Also, before bashing BMR, what about your alignment settings, tire pressures? Next time call them or message them before falsely bashing because you didn't control many important variables.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Change out those shocks. The stocks are garbage. I went to the Koni orange and it’s night and day difference. Haven’t switched out the struts yet since I don’t want to take the whole fronts end apart and get another alignment.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
+ 1 to Norm and BmacIL. The tires, springs, and shocks are the meat of your suspension. Don't expect miracles from secondary braces and supporting parts.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Eibach Sportlines (or any equivalent rated spring) are not going to give the proper balance for rear to front launch ratio, period. Meaning, those springs are NOT allowing the car to properly squat at the rear and transition the weight off the front end.

Tires are another problem, but more so it’s the springs.

Eibach had a drag launch spring kit for the earlier Mustangs - I haven’t been following their products for a bit, but does anyone know if they have a similar drag kit for the S550’s?

I also don’t think it’s fair to call out ANY Vendor before you have factually determined what exactly is the concern or problem... you in your own words in Post 3, nearly immediately after your call out, are even doubting your own parts decision... seems like you jumped too soon to place blame.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Check the mods in my sig.
Even with all of that under the car, I can produce wheelhop on the strip with a street tyre.
It will NOT hop on the street, no matter the conditions.
Slide a bias ply under there, hit the strip, no hop whatsoever.
It’s the tyres, for sure.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
+ 1 to Norm and BmacIL. The tires, springs, and shocks are the meat of your suspension. Don't expect miracles from secondary braces and supporting parts.
Agreed.

I suspect that the budget for bushings should have included BMR's differential bushings and possibly rear control arm bearings as well as the cradle bushings.

Solving IRS wheel hop sometimes involves different-stiffness half shafts in order to intentionally mismatch right side vs left side frequencies (so the right and left sides don't feed vibrations to each other in sync with a common natural frequency). Engine & transmission mount bushing stiffnesses matter in that when they are allowed to vibrate too much the torque arriving at the pinion gear is further away from being steady (the harmonic or vibration component helps keep a bad vibration going).

Norm

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
@xmustangx

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with some of our best selling products here at BMR.

It has been mentioned above and I think it is very important to point out that tires play a major role in combating wheel-hop and inducing traction.

Wheel-Hop is simply a combination of traction loss and suspension instability. If you have full traction then you will typically not have any wheel-hop, and if you have all suspension components stabilized and keyword ,controlled, then you should not have wheel-hop. Of course, combining the two is the ultimate way to eliminate wheel-hop and improve overall performance.

Tires serve primary and sometimes secondary purposes. In your car, an Ohtsu tire's primary nor secondary purpose is to perform well at a drag strip.

Coil springs are also part of the equation. Sportline springs are also not conducive to meeting your apparent goals.

If you would like to discuss, feel free to shoot me a call at the office. :thumbsup:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
They probably aren't all that bad for what they are (all-season and/or touring). But that doesn't make them a good choice for high performance use. You have to do a little 'reading between the lines' . . .

When the advertising for a tire stresses pricing with phrases such as "exceptional affordability" and "a value tire" (1010tires, for the FP7000) and when most sizes seem to be in taller profiles than 45, it's apparent that the tire is aimed at the price-conscious consumer rather than those looking for performance. You'll find plenty of negative reviews at 1010tires as well

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.