Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ohtsu Tires:

â—Ź ST5000: all-season touring tire

â—Ź FP7000: high performance all-season tire

â—Ź FP8000: high mileage summer touring tire for coupes and sedans

â—Ź AT4000: a robust all-terrain / highway tire for SUVs, pickups and Jeeps

None of those, even the FP8000, are going to be remotely focused on launching or even handling performance. They're comfort and cost-focused.
Sponsored

OP
OP

xmustangx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GT
I am running the FP8000 tires(WAY BETTER THAN JUNK ASS PIRELLI). And to get things straight, I was not BASHING BMR at all. Their parts are VERY GOOD QUALITY and priced AWESOME.
And to elaborate I was running car up to 3k and slipping the clutch as not to launch the car resulting in TERRIBLE tire spin/hop (I have been drag racing manual cars for 19 years)
The tires maybe made 1 revolution and and hooked, that is when I experienced the wheel hop. I am attributing this to my choice of springs and the junk base shocks.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
LMAO. not impressed with some of the best suspension parts in the market but running nankangs.. oh boy.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good meaning what? Michelin grand touring AS tires have fabulous reviews too, but certainly aren't going to be good for getting a launch without hop.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I am running the FP8000 tires(WAY BETTER THAN JUNK ASS PIRELLI).
At the very best, it's a re-branded Falken FK452, which is still more oriented toward the luxury side. Quite possibly, it's the FK452 tread pattern and compound combined with a less-capable tire structure.

I've had a range of experience with Falken. Their RT615 series really is a pretty good tire (it was once the tire to have in some autocross classes). But the performance capabilities of their more consumer-oriented tires have been overstated at times - I'm particularly looking at the now-discontinued Ziex ZE512 here. As in to the point that Falken actually rewrote their own description (downward as far as the relative importance of performance was concerned).

The tires maybe made 1 revolution and and hooked, that is when I experienced the wheel hop.
What probably happened was that when it hooked you'd landed right at peak grip, so it felt hooked until the bushings you didn't swap out all unloaded and pushed the tires over onto the back side of their mu-slip curve.

And to get things straight, I was not BASHING BMR at all.
Your title for this thread (Not impressed with BMR parts!) suggests otherwise . . .

Get the title changed, which may require an admin, and I will edit this post accordingly.

Norm

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Get the title changed, which may require an admin, and I will edit this post accordingly.
Just checked and if you click "Thread Tools" at the top right of the thread, there is an "Edit Title" button. No admin needed.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Just wanted to share some very typical results with IRS mods and 'street' tires.

I just took a quick trip to the store in the BMR Flogmobile, one of several BMR S550 cars. This one is a 2016 GT PP car that has over 35k miles of heavy abuse.

Stock Pirellis at 36psi and just sending it on some normal crappy back roads.

Now that said, I have made many 12-second drag strip passes on these cars with nothing other than some IRS mods. I will admit though, I have experienced pretty drastic wheel hop at the track in both stock form and with IRS modifications. There is definitely a method to driving a car successfully on the drag strip with tires that are the furthest thing from being designed for that use.

I have run 12's on Nexen tires, stock Pirellis and MT Street Comps on cars with no power mods and cut sub 2.0 sixty-foot times with little to no wheel hop, but it did take a little effort to get to that point.

If I had your car and experienced what you have, I would work on adjusting tire pressures and driving to see how it helps. Past that point, if you really want to focus on drag strip performance I suggest changing the springs out and possibly getting a new set of tires that are engineered for drag strip surfaces.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When the summary of customer reviews is only three stars out of a possible five for several of a tire mfr's products, that tells me that there's nothing exceptional about any of them. I've since found one 4-star summarized rating, so maybe it's three and a fraction out of five overall. Kind of like getting a C, maybe a C+, on an exam . . .

Ohtsu tires are focused more on luxury and mass-market attributes than performance, so choosing them for a Mustang would make more sense if that Mustang is being driven like a traditional luxury car instead of at least occasionally like a muscle car. Tires really should be fit to the way(s) a car is likely to be driven as much as they need to be fit to the car and its wheels.

Keep in mind that I have had some direct personal experience with Falken tires, which given that "Falken was created as the flagship high performance radial brand under Ohtsu Tire" does more than hint that Ohtsu tire models are positioned lower than Falken tire models as far as performance is concerned. Since OP's concern in this thread is related solely to performance, all those other attributes are meaningless here. Even if they were better than any other tire you could find in every other respect.

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.