Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
My 18 sounds exactly like CJ's F150 at the same 2300 RPM. It's also in the dealership right now.
I never noticed it on my F150 till I had my Mustang.. Reason being, the auto in my truck would change gears instead of holding at 2300rpm.. When I hold it in gear, I can make it do it when cold as well..
Sponsored

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I never noticed it on my F150 till I had my Mustang.. Reason being, the auto in my truck would change gears instead of holding at 2300rpm.. When I hold it in gear, I can make it do it when cold as well..
I have an MT82 car so I don't think it's drive train related. 2300RPM seems to be the magical number for this issue, but I am crossing my fingers hoping it's something else.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
@Nabush Are you saying you scoped the car yourself, saw cylinder wall damage and decided to trade it in instead of taking it to the dealer?

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
I managed to get rid of all the noises of my cars, the cylinder walls scratching I saw with my borescope (not a lot of you guys did it BTW).
How ? I sold it then bought a Camaro SS 1LE...Bye Ford...:brokenheart:
Sucks it had to happen, but good choice.:like: What color BTW?

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
I forgot to mention that my car also burned off 1 quart of oil in 1886 miles. It may be normal for a coyote or not. Or it may be oil bypassing the rings since the cylinder is either out of round or scored.
I think you know what do to at this point:devil:......
image.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I forgot to mention that my car also burned off 1 quart of oil in 1886 miles. It may be normal for a coyote or not. Or it may be oil bypassing the rings since the cylinder is either out of round or scored.
That's abnormal oil use IMO . Should be more like a quart every 4 to 5K miles. If you take it in, definately mention that to the deslership.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Second dealer is the one that told me. I check my oil weekly and noticed it was all the way at the bottom of the hash mark cold. They said 1 quart every 1000 miles is considered normal by Ford.
That's the typical BS answer they always give. Any new car that uses a quart every 1000 miles has major issues. If a car used a quart every 1000 miles, there'd be no reason to ever change the oil! Most cars in good shape with 200K miles use less than a quart every 1000 miles.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Yea kinda sucks for me. It seemed to have stayed the same level until about 1000 miles then the last 900 miles it was dropping a MM here and there.

Ok now we'll wait for the fanboys to tell us we're stupid and oil consumption is normal for a high performance engine that isn't meant to be driven fast or hard because then you're over the legal speed limit but then to get a hold of our selves and what's the point of this thread and we're stupid and Ford is the best and if all engines with the rattle were defective Ford would go out of business then what car company would they suck up to etc.
Just ask them what an oil control ring's job is and why is it not doing it.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
That's the typical BS answer they always give. Any new car that uses a quart every 1000 miles has major issues. If a car used a quart every 1000 miles, there'd be no reason to ever change the oil! Most cars in good shape with 200K miles use less than a quart every 1000 miles.
My 2004 Pathfinder is leaking oil out the heads and main seal, yet still uses less than a quart per 1k miles. I am at about 2 quarts per 5k miles.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Those of you with the rattle at 2000 rpm or thereabouts - do you notice it in Normal mode as well as sport? I have it very slight but only Sport.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Those of you with the rattle at 2000 rpm or thereabouts - do you notice it in Normal mode as well as sport? I have it very slight but only Sport.
I have it in all modes.

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I have it in all modes.
I also have it in all modes

Mine is at the dealership now for probable driveshaft imbalance and rattle

I have no updates currently

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
All I can really gather from reading through this thread is if you have either the infamous BBQ tick or the 2k rpm rattle or both have a dealer document the issue and enjoy the car until a TSB has been issued identifying the source of either issue. Perhaps borescope it if you have the equipment or notice abnormal oil consumption. Did I miss something?

92 Couper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - Competition Orange

Mine started doing it (random idle/knock/tick) last week at just under 3400 miles. I cant here if it does it at low RPM/under light throttle when moving because of my loud as hell Roush exhaust, but the video shows what it does when is at operating temperature at idle. Will be pulling off the JLT and removing tune shortly (as soon as SCT fixes a bug with the BDX that will not allow it to return to stock) and taking it to the dealer to see what they say.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP

Mine started doing it (random idle/knock/tick) last week at just under 3400 miles. I cant here if it does it at low RPM/under light throttle when moving because of my loud as hell Roush exhaust, but the video shows what it does when is at operating temperature at idle. Will be pulling off the JLT and removing tune shortly (as soon as SCT fixes a bug with the BDX that will not allow it to return to stock) and taking it to the dealer to see what they say.
Yup, had this and the rattle. The tick became even worse after first OEM oil change.
Sponsored