Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
If they are approving long blocks (5 in this thread alone?), they have to be feeling it in the warranty system. I just want to know what is up.
My dealer confirmed the rattle at 2300 rpms as not normal and is waiting on the tech to bore scope it. It's hard for me to say this is an isolated case now...I very much so hope I am wrong. I've been a very aggressive proponent for this platform as of MY18 and this would not bode well for my disposition towards the brand. I gave Ford another chance after the focusRS and this is not looking good.

Without a TSB I have no way of knowing they fixed the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I wish dealerships were more consistent. Jet is running dealer to dealer while others are getting blocks much easier.

I don't even know how I would feel about a long block, I would need to know Ford fixed the rattle with the new motors 1st. What happens if the 2nd motor rattles as well? At least its nice to know to some extent Ford is acknowledging there is an issue while Mr. Rebel yells at us for being damaging to his fanboyism.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Welp....I know im doing the buy back but I was relieved to find out the noise was gone. Of course that was short lived as now the noise is back. Started happening during the ride back home from work. Just cruising at 2k rpms and then a flutter like rattle suddenly happened and then after that the rattle is back. fml lol

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
Welp....I know im doing the buy back but I was relieved to find out the noise was gone. Of course that was short lived as now the noise is back. Started happening during the ride back home from work. Just cruising at 2k rpms and then a flutter like rattle suddenly happened and then after that the rattle is back. fml lol

You have the same piston rattle noise on the new longblock Ford just replace under warranty in you car!!!??

How much mileage on the new engine it took before you hear it again ?

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Haaahhhha. Your read my posts. I posted that in another thread and you are right- I didn't want to post to this shit show of a thread.

This is a very damaging thread that hasn't produced anything other than paranoia.

The car doesn't sound like shit. You folks are exaggerating the noise beyond reason.

Losing 8lbs from an absence of pressed in liners is bound to affect engine noise to some degree. To expect the motor to sound exactly the same as a gen 1 or gen 2 Coyote is a faulty assumption.

I'm a huge Ford Fanboy. I'm also a Technics Fanboy as well (been called one as well)
This guy is on his 3rd engine... reckon he is just paranoid...

Sponsored

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
This guy is on his 3rd engine... reckon he is just paranoid...

I heard the noise on one of is other vid.

Just want to note thats it's not the same type of noise that the OP got and we are discussing here!

Never less not a lucky guy!!

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
I managed to get rid of all the noises of my cars, the cylinder walls scratching I saw with my borescope (not a lot of you guys did it BTW).
How ? I sold it then bought a Camaro SS 1LE...Bye Ford...:brokenheart:

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I managed to get rid of all the noises of my cars, the cylinder walls scratching I saw with my borescope (not a lot of you guys did it BTW).
How ? I sold it then bought a Camaro SS 1LE...Bye Ford...:brokenheart:
What's a reliable WHP for the LT1?

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
So, is this just been specific to the 18's?

My 17 does it for sure.. Saw some of you on the other thread a while back.. Just wondering if ok the only pre 18 with the issue still..

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So, is this just been specific to the 18's?

My 17 does it for sure.. Saw some of you on the other thread a while back.. Just wondering if ok the only pre 18 with the issue still..
I think the typewriter tick is a common 17 issue. The 2000-3000 rpm rattle seems to be specific to the 18.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
My 17 sounds like this..

My 13 F-150 with 80k miles sounds like this..

Same noise?

Interesting, when I took my salesman for a ride, he told me he heard it in his 17 as well. I thought he was insane. I can hear it in both of your videos, although I think the 18s have it worse off (louder).

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It's much louder in person..
I'm assuming you guys have noticed that the sound is diminished when you pull up on the reverse lockout on the manual transmissions. Not saying it is the transmission as it happens on autos as well, but does lead to where maybe the noise is coming from..

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
My 18 sounds exactly like CJ's F150 at the same 2300 RPM. It's also in the dealership right now.
Sponsored