Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My UOA came back. I dont know how to add a picture or file so ill copy paste the comments. Copper and Manganese levels were at 32ppm and 19ppm respectively. Silica was at 47ppm the only "moderate" level. Again it was only 1250 miles on the sample so i wasnt expecting a ton of material in it, BUT if i had way way higher then normal break in of Iron or Aluminum then id worry more about the piston slap. as it is i had 28ppm and 5ppm which doesnt even flag in normal broken in engine. granted my last UOA from my last car had 22ppm iron and 4ppm aluminum at 14k miles. Just a FYI for those wondering.

Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor
equipment and fluid conditions. Silicon is at a MODERATE LEVEL; SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica), seals
and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or environmental contaminant; Copper is at a MINOR LEVEL;
Manganese sources in engines include manganese/bronze valve guides and/or a fuel additive; Please provide missing FLUID
PRODUCT NAME to compare data to the correct standards. Lubricant and filter change acknowledged. Your note was taken into
consideration.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Well they said they could recreate the noise but everything is fine. I doubt they did any real diagnostic work. I'll talk to the service manager tomorrow and tell him about the transmission TSB. After that I'm done.
The transmission TSB has nothing to do with your sound. Why would bringing that up make a difference.

You live in the Bay Area - a huge place- and if the many Ford dealers there consider it normal then most likely it is. My service dept tested other new GTs and they had the same exact sound. They had me drive one and I heard it. When they asked what I wanted next - I said my car back. I'm not having them dig into my car to figure out why they all sound like that. And I call bullshit on anyone who says they don't hear it or have it.

57 pages and this thread hasn't delivered anything.

It is huge that the Bay Area Ford dealers say this is normal.

If it is really an issue like posters here suggest then the micron thin liners will fail very quickly and your engine will fail. Then you can get a new motor. You might as well put some miles on it.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had 4th gear lock out 4 times and it popped out of 4th once. Obviously you haven't been paying attention.
Why the hell would I pay attention to your transmission problem crap? It has nothing to do with this issue. Get your self together man!

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why are you even in this thread? Didnt you say you were done with it? I'm glad you're ok with Ford selling you a car that sounds like shit. Good job fan boy.
Haaahhhha. Your read my posts. I posted that in another thread and you are right- I didn't want to post to this shit show of a thread.

This is a very damaging thread that hasn't produced anything other than paranoia.

The car doesn't sound like shit. You folks are exaggerating the noise beyond reason.

Losing 8lbs from an absence of pressed in liners is bound to affect engine noise to some degree. To expect the motor to sound exactly the same as a gen 1 or gen 2 Coyote is a faulty assumption.

I'm a huge Ford Fanboy. I'm also a Technics Fanboy as well (been called one as well)

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The transmission TSB has nothing to do with your sound. Why would bringing that up make a difference.

You live in the Bay Area - a huge place- and if the many Ford dealers there consider it normal then most likely it is. My service dept tested other new GTs and they had the same exact sound. They had me drive one and I heard it. When they asked what I wanted next - I said my car back. I'm not having them dig into my car to figure out why they all sound like that. And I call bullshit on anyone who says they don't hear it or have it.

57 pages and this thread hasn't delivered anything.

It is huge that the Bay Area Ford dealers say this is normal.

If it is really an issue like posters here suggest then the micron thin liners will fail very quickly and your engine will fail. Then you can get a new motor. You might as well put some miles on it.
He has the 3rd to 4th gear change issue, as covered in the TSB. He wasn't stating that the TSB was related to his engine rattle. He is one of the unlucky folks with multiple issues.
As an engineer who sees parts back from dealers all the time, I wouldn't trust anything they say that isn't backed in writing by Ford. I agree that all cars have the rattle, though some definitely have it more than others. I am honestly not sure what you want this thread to deliver. It's just a place for owners to post their experiences for now. It's interesting to hear what different dealerships are saying.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Haaahhhha. Your read my posts. I posted that in another thread and you are right- I didn't want to post to this shit show of a thread.

This is a very damaging thread that hasn't produced anything other than paranoia.

The car doesn't sound like shit. You folks are exaggerating the noise beyond reason.

Losing 8lbs from an absence of pressed in liners is bound to affect engine noise to some degree. To expect the motor to sound exactly the same as a gen 1 or gen 2 Coyote is a faulty assumption.

I'm a huge Ford Fanboy. I'm also a Technics Fanboy as well (been called one as well)
What is this thread damaging? Unless you have the issue, or have been hearing strange noises, it is unlikely you will even open this thread. One very important purpose it has served, is to show how common the noise is among 2018 vehicles. If it were only present in a couple cars, it is unlikely we would ever see a TSB.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I disagree. My bbq tick wasn't as bad as the rattle and other ticks people have posted here, but I knew that something was wrong when my gf pointed it out when I was driving away one morning. This is someone who doesn't know the first thing about cars and only started paying attention to vibrations and other nuisances when we started dating. If she can hear it, any other car enthusiast can hear it. I sure as hell didn't enjoy driving the car anymore.

Saying that this is a damaging thread is ridiculous. If these noises were 100% normal, Ford would say so and wouldn't be authorizing short blocks, long blocks, and buybacks due to it. Telling people that the noise is normal is what's damaging. They're gonna go out make bunch of mods and possibly be SOL with warranty even though it was a defective part.

You really sound like someone who has this issue but is trying to avoid the truth and is running away to hide from the problem. I bet you cringe every time you hear it too.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I disagree. My bbq tick wasn't as bad as the rattle and other ticks people have posted here, but I knew that something was wrong when my gf pointed it out when I was driving away one morning. This is someone who doesn't know the first thing about cars and only started paying attention to vibrations and other nuisances when we started dating. If she can hear it, any other car enthusiast can hear it. I sure as hell didn't enjoy driving the car anymore.

Saying that this is a damaging thread is ridiculous. If these noises were 100% normal, Ford would say so and wouldn't be authorizing short blocks, long blocks, and buybacks due to it. Telling people that the noise is normal is what's damaging. They're gonna go out make bunch of mods and possibly be SOL with warranty even though it was a defective part.

You really sound like someone who has this issue but is trying to avoid the truth and is running away to hide from the problem. I bet you cringe every time you hear it too.
Everyone keeps bringing up that ford has replaced a few short blocks. How many? 5 at the most? Hardly anything to set a precedent. Ford has sent more people home telling them the noise is normal. Personally, I don't know if its normal or not. I'm not arguing that. Half the people that post in this thread say it is and half say it isn't. I'm just saying that we don't have enough info either way. Slamming our cars and Ford at this point isn't helping anyone.

Sponsored

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
The solution to check and see is simple and cheap and is the same process as removing spark plugs. Just avoid the uncertainty and check it out for yourself IMO. Although I am a hypocrite because I've dropped my car off at the dealer because I am not unpacked and can't do it at my place right now. This is such a simple issue to diagnose now that there's no reason not to double check the dealership's work which is what I intend fully on doing.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Update from dealership, "Ford did not want to continue to find the source of the rattle". Ford has approved a Long block and will replace it once the engine comes in.
Did they mention what steps they followed? I mean, it should be pretty straight forward and non invasive standard trouble shooting. Leak down test, compression test, borescope, stethescoping, etc. These motors are 10k a piece. I don't know how much it is for Ford to make them but I am surprised they would just throw another in without a catch.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Now that's not cool

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Did they mention what steps they followed? I mean, it should be pretty straight forward and non invasive standard trouble shooting. Leak down test, compression test, borescope, stethescoping, etc. These motors are 10k a piece. I don't know how much it is for Ford to make them but I am surprised they would just throw another in without a catch.
If they are approving long blocks (5 in this thread alone?), they have to be feeling it in the warranty system. I just want to know what is up.
Sponsored