Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Nice review, thanks for posting.

So you have 2 sets of resonators and its still too loud? If so there is no hope for me. I still haven't installed my cat delete....may have to switch it up.
Deleting the cats added at least 25% more volume but mostly in heavy throttle. The sound stayed the same didn’t add rasp just volume.
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
FWIW, I have 15k miles on my Whipple tune with stock cats. I don't see "several" members reporting failed cats in that thread. I see you, but you mentioned that plugs were not properly gapped, and one other member who was having hesitation and possibly misfire issues. The only reported cat failures in this thread were aftermarket cats and/or non-whipple tune. I would think a proper tune with cat protection could keep the cats alive. I also have not heard of any Roush tune cat failures with the same stock cats. I don't think it's fair to say that all boosted cars will eventually have issues with cats. This seems to be an aftermarket part quality and tuning issue.

yeah im stock cats roush tune 670hp with 25k miles and i just replaced my plugs last month gapped to .028. replaced my exhaust at the same time, took a flash light up there my cats looked good . granted i dont beat the crap out of my car no track days either i drive very spirited with the long drive here and there to let her breath a bit

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The op was tuned by lund and no one tunes more cars then lund. They know what they’re doing when it comes to tuning. These failures are not tune related, its a simple matter of physics. Aftermarket cats were never designed to handle the heat that boost brings...its just a matter of time before they fail. The op’s failed relatively quickly and he lost a motor to it. Its your money...

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The op was tuned by lund and no one tunes more cars then lund. They know what they’re doing when it comes to tuning. These failures are not tune related, its a simple matter of physics. Aftermarket cats were never designed to handle the heat that boost brings...its just a matter of time before they fail. The op’s failed relatively quickly and he lost a motor to it. Its your money...
True Dat!

Boost makes power, and power makes heat, and heat kills cats. I had my head up my ass running 14-15 psi at times with stock headers and Cats for too long. Fortunately nothing happened and my stock cats still looked good when I removed them. Whipple cal has cat protection, but that only goes so far at higher power levels. Nothing is gonna cool them enough at 750 wheel.

NotAFordEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue PP GT
So, why does no one use the Roush tune? 727HP and I haven’t heard any complaints about melted cats. I also know they did extensive testing for that calibration.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
So, why does no one use the Roush tune? 727HP and I haven’t heard any complaints about melted cats. I also know they did extensive testing for that calibration.
Because its a turd. I ran one a few weeks ago I beat so badly, I thought it was N/A until he opened his hood. :shrug:

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
Nice review, thanks for posting.

So you have 2 sets of resonators and its still too loud? If so there is no hope for me. I still haven't installed my cat delete....may have to switch it up.
Resonators aren't going to tone a header/catless car very much. They're not only straight through, but early in the exhaust stream, where exhaust speed is still really high. The closer to the header the muffler is, the less volume it reduces (also reduces flow more than later in the stream). Silencers are a great cheap option. One screw and you can putt the car around. Remove it when you know you're going to blast around.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Resonators aren't going to tone a header/catless car very much. They're not only straight through, but early in the exhaust stream, where exhaust speed is still really high. The closer to the header the muffler is, the less volume it reduces (also reduces flow more than later in the stream). Silencers are a great cheap option. One screw and you can putt the car around. Remove it when you know you're going to blast around.
What are these silencers?

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
The car is put back together but running into some issues. Car cranks and sounds good but everytime they give it gas, it throws a wrench code. Hit the throttle rpms don't move at all. They re loaded the tune... still no throttle response. Has anybody ever came across a issue like this? They're not able to to a crank reset either. Throttle isn't climbing at all

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The car is put back together but running into some issues. Car cranks and sounds good but everytime they give it gas, it throws a wrench code. Hit the throttle rpms don't move at all. They re loaded the tune... still no throttle response. Has anybody ever came across a issue like this? They're not able to to a crank reset either. Throttle isn't climbing at all
+1 what codes? Wrench light will produce a DTC just like a CEL will.

My guess is the Throttle position sensor in the gas pedal, or maybe the sensor/motor in the throttle body.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Car starts but has zero throttle response. Throwing random codes that aren't true, low oil pressure generator code etc. They traced every wire and made sure every connection was tight. No pinched wires or loose connections. Only thing he can think of is a bad CPU. My question is.. do you think maybe when they put everything together a wire might've touched something blew a circuit in the cpu? Has anybody had any cpu issues before? They checked every ground wire as well. What else can cause no throttle? It won't rev. Car idles perfectly. Starts up without a problem.Thanks for your help

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Kindly disagree, volume does not equate to quality or "the best".

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Kindly disagree, volume does not equate to quality or "the best".
That’s true, but the logs I’ve seen show that Lund are pretty conservative on their Whipple tuning. Possibly even more conservative than the Whipple tune. :shrug:
Sponsored