Sponsored

Go catless with boost

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Rob while you're in there do ARP head studs. seen a few guys stretch the stock headbolts around 14-16psi
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Take the cats off!!!! Y take the chance???.$2000 short block or a couple 100 bucks to take cats off ummm??? If you keep them on..... stay out of boost. Drive it like a old lady
Are you talking Kooks green Cats? Anything can fail but they those are well made an have very few failures.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I may park my car until my Mak cat deletes come in after seeing this.

@Roh92cp I am with you 100% on not making the car too loud. I've spent more that what would be considered a sane amount of time looking for ways to mitigate the extra volume. If I had a 2.5" system I would have went with the magnaflow tru x resonator. All the clips and feedback I came across point to the fact that is would get the sound reasonably close to pre delete.

Since I have a 3" system and the 2.5 to 3.0 to 2.5 to 3.0 stuff makes me crazy I went with Magnaflow bullet resonators, and I am swapping out my MBRP mufflers with Magnaflow units as well.

I don't think that will be a net zero transaction but hopefully close enough.
I dropped my car off this morning to have a Magnaflow 12469 resonated muffler/X pipe put in place of the current X-pipe. I currently have 3 inch from the hollowed out cats all the way back ( cut out the 2.5 connection and had 3 inch pipes welded in). I chose this Magnaflow 12469 after receiving very positive reviews from other forum members. I'll report back this afternoon when pick the car up with how I made out.

As it sits, car is way too loud for a daily. Sounds great at idle, but anything above 3k RPM sounds shitty/raspy

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Thanks Boduke2020. Take the cats off!!!! Roh92cp. Green cats, yellow cats, blue cats, polka dot cats... if you have boost take them off. You will have the one with "very few failures". I wish the shop put as much pressure on me about my cats as they did my oil pump and crank sprocket gears. Take them off I cant stress it anymore unless u want my problems

Sponsored

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I dropped my car off this morning to have a Magnaflow 12469 resonated muffler/X pipe put in place of the current X-pipe. I currently have 3 inch from the hollowed out cats all the way back ( cut out the 2.5 connection and had 3 inch pipes welded in). I chose this Magnaflow 12469 after receiving very positive reviews from other forum members. I'll report back this afternoon when pick the car up with how I made out.

As it sits, car is way too loud for a daily. Sounds great at idle, but anything above 3k RPM sounds shitty/raspy
Interested to see how this turns out . I got catless SP headers about to go on with my 3 inch magnaflow street catback . Worried I will to to loud and drone.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is louder but its not obnoxious at all, i get a little more smell but i don't mind it, i'm used to it from my last car that was boosted and catless...

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Anyone have failures with stock cats and unmodified Whipple tune (with plugs properly gapped)? Removing cats isn't an option for some of us in states with strict emissions laws.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Anyone have failures with stock cats and unmodified Whipple tune (with plugs properly gapped)? Removing cats isn't an option for some of us in states with strict emissions laws.
the standard kooks high flow cats started fail within a few hundred miles on stock whipple tune 93 octane when plugs were gapped at .028

stock cats were FUBAR after about 7,000ish miles but plugs weren't gapped correctly at that time

In the thread about the "whipple tune issues", several members reported stocks cats failing with the base whipple tune.
'

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
the standard kooks high flow cats started fail within a few hundred miles on stock whipple tune 93 octane when plugs were gapped at .028

stock cats were FUBAR after about 7,000ish miles but plugs weren't gapped correctly at that time

In the thread about the "whipple tune issues", several members reported stocks cats failing with the base whipple tune.
'
FWIW, I have 15k miles on my Whipple tune with stock cats. I don't see "several" members reporting failed cats in that thread. I see you, but you mentioned that plugs were not properly gapped, and one other member who was having hesitation and possibly misfire issues. The only reported cat failures in this thread were aftermarket cats and/or non-whipple tune. I would think a proper tune with cat protection could keep the cats alive. I also have not heard of any Roush tune cat failures with the same stock cats. I don't think it's fair to say that all boosted cars will eventually have issues with cats. This seems to be an aftermarket part quality and tuning issue.

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

I looked at doing the 12469, the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger is that it's a dual Y verse a true X. Wasn't sure how it would flow.
MUFFLER503-2.png

COStang777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT
Was waiting forever on a set of Kooks headers with green cats but went ahead and dropped the car off today for a set of their catless headers to be installed instead. I’ll be happy knowing those damn cats are off. Sorry to the OP for your bad luck. Your story helped change my mind on going catless.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
FWIW, I have 15k miles on my Whipple tune with stock cats. I don't see "several" members reporting failed cats in that thread. I see you, but you mentioned that plugs were not properly gapped, and one other member who was having hesitation and possibly misfire issues. The only reported cat failures in this thread were aftermarket cats and/or non-whipple tune. I would think a proper tune with cat protection could keep the cats alive. I also have not heard of any Roush tune cat failures with the same stock cats. I don't think it's fair to say that all boosted cars will eventually have issues with cats. This seems to be an aftermarket part quality and tuning issue.
You had me thinking I was crazy because I could have sworn I saw more more than 1 post in that thread where someone mentioned their stock cats failed on whipple tune. I went back through and found post #1 and post #294 were actually from the same individual who had 3 total cats fail on whipple tune. BTW, I was referring to more than 1 when I said several; not employing a ton.

I hope I'm not coming off as against whipple, because that is farrrrrrr from the case....Whipple Fan boy here for life. Dustin has helped me out tremendously and I stand behind whipple 100%. It has just been my experience that the tune for my particular car did not fair well with the cats.

I 100% agree boosted cars can have cats and not run into any issues with the proper tune. It's a matter of fact and not opinion that cars can have slight variances from one to another. I may have just been one, along with JGEDDE, that had a variance which caused the tune not to play nice with the cats.

However, just like when I replaced the OPG, CS, and ATI balance; eliminating the cats was for piece of mind. I'm also fortunate to have a driving situation that allows me to be emissions exempt.

Hell, I ordered my Kooks with cats because I wanted to have cats to keep the sound down.

My current tune is basically 90% the base whipple tune with just some minor tweaks. Car has always run great and now runs just a bit better and smoother.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I looked at doing the 12469, the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger is that it's a dual Y verse a true X. Wasn't sure how it would flow.

I've have 2 buddies who have Kooks LT on, one with cats, and the other without and both have tried the magnaflow resonator and the Borla and both say the Borla is quieter and has less rasp.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Thought I would add some pics of mine. These are stainless works High flow cats. Just had these pulled off and some delete pipes made. Not horrible but one of them is obviously worse and it might not have been long before it became a real problem. I feel better now that they are off, especially with all the track days and WOT running. Just a piece of mind thing like others have said.
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
Sponsored