Sponsored

Power difference in catted vs cat less LTH?

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
How much power difference is there in a catted vs non catted long tube set up in a full bolt on car?

Is the catted going to be loud anyways and not worth it? My inspection is close to 2 years away (bought the car brand new)
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have actual data for you, but I’ve heard the power difference is miniscule and nothing to stress over. In regards to sound, if you’re getting headers and you’re worried about being too loud, give this protential purchase some more thought.

As for emissions, high flow cats will definitely help, but they’re not guaranteed. You’ll have to ask your tuner for an emissions tune. Plenty of guys on here have passed emissions with longtubes, both catted and catless.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
The key is the fact that even catted headers use high flow cats that do not restrict much power or sound. Catted headers will be just about as loud and make very close power as well. The stock cats are what quiets things down (aside from adding resonators or chambered mufflers) and restricts power. I dynoed before and after adding high flow cats specifically to quiet things down and only lost 1whp. It also did not quiet things down hardly at all. I ended up switching catbacks to a chambered muffler design to get the sound under control. This was on my 15 BTW.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
for what its worth my 14 1LE made 801/646 through HF cats and 801/640 same day no cats so its very minor if at all

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy went cat/res/muff delete w/ x-pipe and slowed by almost .5 sec on his NA '15.

Sponsored

Deep Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - (A10) Magnetic Gray/ Mustang #7
How much power difference is there in a catted vs non catted long tube set up in a full bolt on car?

Is the catted going to be loud anyways and not worth it? My inspection is close to 2 years away (bought the car brand new)
I've dynoed a few of my cars before and after high flow cats, I believe it was 3 hp or less difference on a typical bolt on car or heads/cam LS1. Not smelling like gasoline is also a great reason to get cats. No girl wants to go out on a date and smell like she just left Shell. :)

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Not smelling like gasoline is also a great reason to get cats. No girl wants to go out on a date and smell like she just left Shell. :)
That's why you run E85 and she smells like she just left the movies lol.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
🤔
Sponsored