Sponsored

TrackSpec S550 Hood Vents

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Just showing off my recent install of these vents. A little background; I found them by accident looking for an alternative to what I had which was gutted Roush vents along with some under hood cutting to let it breath better. Any of us that track or hit high speeds know of the hood lift as air is trying to get out which also creates lift on the front end as well. I wasn't looking to do hood pins as this obviously doesn't correct the problem. Well, my Roush mod did well and took out significant hood lift which had to help also with front end lift and heat extraction. Last time I was at the track, I saw my passenger side Roush vent flopping around and noticed that it had separated with it's lower section to half of it which I glued down again at the minimal contact spots that keep it together. So, fixed for now but for how long so I started surfing and looking for an alternative.

This brings me to finding a new vent design for our cars (15-17) that is the best looking and most functional we can get without going to a new hood design. The company is called TRACKSPEC and their website is http://trackspecmotorsports.com which you can then navigate to our section.

This modification requires a bit of cutting to the under hood side and a little trimming of the upper supports for the stock or Roush vents so it may not be for everyone but the results are awesome in my opinion both physically and I can't see how not functionally as well.

Here is a completed picture of the top and then I'll show my process which for the most part followed their instructions but I added a couple steps myself which I will point out.

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Let me start by saying the quality of materials and finish are topnotch on this product. The main parts consist of the top vent, under mount bracket, and bolts with washers and nuts. Packaging was also something considered for problem free delivery.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

So here is where I started even before this. I took my Roush vents and gutted them like in this picture and then did some minor trimming of the hood to let better airflow out. That small hole in the uncut Roush vent is what is stock on this and our stock vents. I truly believe they are more more water draining than anything else as they are just worthless for venting. Please excuse the pics from going one side to the other but wanted to show the difference.

IMG_0047.jpg

Stock

IMG_0570.jpg

Cut section

IMG_0065.jpg

Old new hole

IMG_0064.jpg

And with the gutted Roush vent installed for better air flow

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Ok, so I said this was helping but not as much as needed to be so here is the next process with the TRACKSPEC vents.

This is what I cut out now.....Boom.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

You can see in the above pic I chose to drill holes in the two corner sections that line up with the holes in the vent. In the instructions they just have you grind those out but I liked how I could set the vent and knew where it laid perfectly and center punched the area and drilled. This worked very well but their way would have been fine to.

Now mounted

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

And then I added some door trim to finish off the underside which was my own doing.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. If anyone chooses to do this, TAKE YOUR TIME. I had to remind myself this 20 thousand times. I did mine with the hood attached and if you want an excellent core workout, this is for you. I would say that it would be easier to take the hood off just so you don't have to contort yourself but not everyone wants to remove the hood. The cutting will make a mess so if you decide to do it with the hood on, use long sleeves, eye protection and cover the engine compartment with a sheet or whatever as tons of aluminum shavings will be everywhere.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I have plenty more pics if there is something specific you'd like to see or I can take any of the completed setup. These things are rigid and can't move at all. The amount of air and heat plus preventing lift will be extremely welcome and the looks of them couldn't be better. Thanks for looking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rumbloki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mach 1
What upper grille?

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Wow thanks for posting these look awesome and very functional !

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
These look legit. I was planning on modifying my Roush vents but maybe Iā€™ll just sell them and by these.

Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
What upper grille?
What?

Wow thanks for posting these look awesome and very functional !
Thanks and I know they will work great. On track Iā€™m hitting speeds over 150mph and these will help a million times better for air/heat extraction and prevent lift.

These look legit. I was planning on modifying my Roush vents but maybe Iā€™ll just sell them and by these.
A couple days ago I would have said thatā€™s a great idea and it still is a better idea than doing nothing but these are just ridiculous in what they will accomplish. This is a no going back scenario but Iā€™d do it again.

Looks good.
Thanks sir.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Can you take pictures of the 4 corners, somewhat up close, so I can see how they contour to the hood depression from above?
Here ya go. This is the passenger side but the drivers side is identical. They fit perfectly.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
These look great. So basically they fit on top like stock but wonā€™t be attached unless you gut the area on the stock hood so they can be properly attached. Doesnā€™t look bad with the trim you added either.

Sponsored
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Much appreciated!!!! Look very good.
No problem and thanks.

These look great. So basically they fit on top like stock but wonā€™t be attached unless you gut the area on the stock hood so they can be properly attached. Doesnā€™t look bad with the trim you added either.
They fit on top exactly to the form of the stock shape. The hood basically has two layers; the under side must be cut out enough to expose the area for the under mount support bracket to fit. The only parts that are trimmed away on the top section are the supports wth attachment points and another smaller piece. You can see the three smaller sections that were cut off in the first post picture of the cutout section. The rubber trim adds a nice finishing touch. It seems they are going to start including it in their kits in the near future. Thanks for the compliments as well.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
That would be nice if the included it. Did it come with a template for cutting or you trace out the design and go a little wider? At the cost of these and what the roush are going for and the airflow gain of these its kind of a no brainer on these. I mean honestly I wont be getting rid of this car anytime soon and seeing your pics it looks like a very clean look even under the hood.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
That would be nice if the included it. Did it come with a template for cutting or you trace out the design and go a little wider? At the cost of these and what the roush are going for and the airflow gain of these its kind of a no brainer on these. I mean honestly I wont be getting rid of this car anytime soon and seeing your pics it looks like a very clean look even under the hood.
They liked what I did with the trim addition and that seems to be their plan but regardless you can get it no matter what.

No template. My first under hood cutting started narrower and I worked my way out and also forward. You arenā€™t running into any joints so no hood integrity is lost. I had to continue more forward cutting because the spine of the vent was still hitting underneath. You could probably go a little narrower than I ended up but I tried to maintain straight lines forward to back with areas that were already factory cut. The quality and perfection of design has to be seen in person as the pics donā€™t give it justice.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. I purchased a set during black Friday and have not gotten around to install them. Would you say there is a way to cut out enough for these to fit and be able to switch back to a stock setup? Or is it a one way ticket to full venting? And have you made or plan to make a shield/deflector for water when not needing the venting? Like to prevent water on the fuse box and filter area?

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Awesome. I purchased a set during black Friday and have not gotten around to install them. Would you say there is a way to cut out enough for these to fit and be able to switch back to a stock setup? Or is it a one way ticket to full venting? And have you made or plan to make a shield/deflector for water when not needing the venting? Like to prevent water on the fuse box and filter area?
This mod is pretty much a one way ticket. However, you could tack weld in a custom piece making new attachment points so it is ā€˜possibleā€™ to go back.
Sponsored