Sponsored

Engine randomly shuts off

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I drive a 2016 Mustang GT PP 6 Speed manual.
I have never tuned the car, or done any bolt on mods.
Only cosmetic changes.

The engine randomly shuts off with no pattern. Sometimes it won't shut off for 2 months, then sometimes it'll shut off twice in a day. Once it shuts off, I can simply push the clutch in and start it normally. And then it'll drive without issues.

I've took it to Ford to have a look at, but unfortunately they weren't able to replicate the problem I have.

Please let me know if there's a solution for this. I've checked the recalls and their is nothing out there for my VIN.

I know there's already another thread on this but no one has provided any updates or solutions since mid 2016.

This is driving me nuts lol :headbonk:
Sponsored

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
there's an issue with the throttle position sensor causing the engine to shut off randomly. not sure if it affects 2016's but i do believe it did on 2015's. fix is to update ecm and/or replace the throttle body/throttle position sensor.

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
bump

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
there's an issue with the throttle position sensor causing the engine to shut off randomly. not sure if it affects 2016's but i do believe it did on 2015's. fix is to update ecm and/or replace the throttle body/throttle position sensor.
I took it to ford and they said they could not find any issues.. Is there anything else? Not throwing any codes or anything.

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Bump

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
tell the dealer to look at this service bulletin if your car was built before May 31st, 2016

TSB 16-0139

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
It is the throttle positioning sensor. Had this same issue on my Infiniti G35, not fun losing steering on a curvy highway off ramp. Had to keep the rpms high to keep the engine from turning off, but this could of blew the engine of course.

Mikegig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 3 Mustang
Did you get a "Run Power Active" message on your dash? Same thing happened to me the other day while clutch was depressed and coasting through a parking lot. Looked down and saw the message and the tach was at 0. My dealer wants to reflash my ECM, but it has to be done by Roush. Have to call Roush on Monday. They were closed on Good Friday..............lol..........

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Did you get a "Run Power Active" message on your dash? Same thing happened to me the other day while clutch was depressed and coasting through a parking lot. Looked down and saw the message and the tach was at 0. My dealer wants to reflash my ECM, but it has to be done by Roush. Have to call Roush on Monday. They were closed on Good Friday..............lol..........
Yea lol, hasn't happened in a while now. I don't know what it is, it happens at random and can't be replicated. I've stopped worrying about it now since my car is Lund tuned. They reflashed mine too but it happened after again.

My car hasn't had this issue at all since it's been tuned, don't think it fixed it; Just hasn't happened yet.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
This happened to me twice, once right after filling up at this budget priced ARCO station down the road. Since I thought the problem could be shitty gas I stopped filling my car there and problem hasn't occured since then, well over a year ago. Just a thought.....

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's either throttle body related OR the IMRC's... Both of those are known issues with the GT's and that type of "stall".

GTMesteno_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've been having the exact same issue with mine :frusty:.
Will be heading to the dealer this week.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
mine has done it twice now please let me know if anyone gets a fix. Both times I was leaving a gas station (didnt just fill up) and the car was on a substantial down slope (front lower than the rear) leaving the parking area. Today's it stalled and started right back up then I drove about 1/10th mile to a stop sign. When I pushed in the clutch and stopped it stalled and took a long time before it actually caught and started. All the times it just said "full power active" on the display like I had pressed the start button without pushing in the clutch and went into "accessory" mode

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
Bump

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
This happened to my 2018 GT A10, it's now on day 2 of sitting at the service center, with less than 3k miles on it, and no word from the dealer about updates on it. I'll let you know if they find anything.
Sponsored