Sponsored

Hood Struts - Which Ones?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
After doing some searching I like the Redline and the MRT units. The two have different angles for the struts. The MRT installation video shows using the two hood bolts for the upper mount, but the installation instructions show only using one. Redline has lengthened the upper bracket to reduce hood flexing but the MRT is long as well.

Anybody have any experience with both or prefer one over the other?
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Same here, have the redlines and love them, they work awesome and open the hood about as far as it can go. One has to notch out the rubber battery cover to get the one strut hinge clearance but it's no big deal. Also if your hood didn't have proper alignment from the factory and some don't you may have to loosen the second set of nuts of the main hood hinges to get the struts installed, then you sort have to realign the hood which took me like 30 minutes but maybe that's just me being dopey, lol.

Terry :cheers:

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Redline Tuning, all day every day!

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Glad they updated the hood support. Going to order those form the site since I have the original 2015 kit. Is the only difference between the Plus and Elite the finish on the struts? I can't find anything else different from looking at their site.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
redline. even work on aftermarket hoods...oh and my car will be at their booth at mustang week!

27589580814_efb38fe583_b.jpg
20160709_180944 by Threefiddie, on Flickr

OP
OP
tom_sprecher

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
These are interesting in that they use both hood hinge bolts, have some good section and extend quite far along the hood to reduce hood flex.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-black-hoodstrut-2015.html
I was torn between the Redline and the MMD's.
I ended up going with the MMD's and installed them today for 2 reasons, rather minor reasons:

1) They sit back farther than the Redline and I like being able to have less of an obstruction toward the firewall, not like there is a need to do much that far back.
2) They cost me less :)

Downside:

Since you are loosening BOTH bolts on the brace I advise that you carefully mark and measure your gaps and even mark the brace location with a Sharpee or a scribe so that you can match it back up later. It took me 30-40 minutes to get it back to where it was. Other than that it's a vast improvement over the prop rod!
Prop Rod.jpg

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
That's nice looking. Whatever you do OP, don't get the Scott Drake hood struts. That was a mistake on my part. Spent hours trying to adjust the hood but it wound never close right. It would bulge up on the sides where the struts were. I had high hopes of this solving the hood shake. I ended up having to drill out one of their soft ass screws that stripped even though I used a 4mm Allen wrench like the instructions said. I ended up putting my redlines from the wrecked car on. All is well now.

DarkHorse850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6-spd DIB
I've got the RedLine on mine too. Very awesome..! Quick and easy install as well.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
I purchased the black Redline struts. They went on smoothly and operate well.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Love my Steeda hood struts. They have extra metal at the mounting points to support the hood. Better system to secure the fender side as well.