Sponsored

I hate 1st to 2nd Gear

KCStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT 6 Speed Premium
Alright fellas, I love my new car, 2015 GT Premium 6speed manual transmission.

I bought the car with 20k miles on it, it would seem from bumper to bumper the car had been treated gently.

1st to 2nd shifts fine, no notchiness like I have read others complain about. If it is there, it isnt anything that is bothering me.

But when I release the clutch on 2nd gear in normal non-performance driving it, for lack of a better term, "Bounces" the motor and jerks the car enough to be unpleasant.

I have daily driven manuals before, and I have never had issues. I find myself clutching the steering wheel tight and full of anxiety trying to ease the clutch off into 2nd and not have the car "bounce" the motor before it settles and pulls.

I may sound like a buffoon describing this, maybe I should just be accelerating more with each shift. But, I can toss the car from 2nd to third letting off the clutch with no assist from the throttle needed, or worry about the bouncy motor an unpleasant ride quality of the car torquing thrusting while the engine settles down.

All other gears are great, smooth, no issues. I can take a video tomorrow, because I am about to go back to the dealer and grab a tech and make him drive the car just to take me out of the equation.

Again, under hard acceleration where I am obviously looking to add throttle to each gear it works great from 1st to 2nd.

Admittedly, this is the highest HP and Torque manual I have ever driven. The last manual I had was an 83 Datsun 280zx that had a beautiful manual tranny and clutch in it, it was so smooth that it was effortless. Admittedly it had NO HP or Torque and I am wondering if that is what is throwing me off here. Could it be that torque and low gearing of 2nd gear are what is throwing me off? Should I just be skipping 2nd and going to strait to third since 2nd is such a bullshit short lived gear anyway?

Any help or advice, constructive criticism, would be welcomed. This car is a daily driver fair weather toy. I didnt want an auto for a toy, I wanted a manual if I was going to have something to play with. I just hate this one aspect of the driving experience currently.:headbonk:
Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Just let the revs drop to around 2000-2200 and it'll take second without the jerk. l had the same issue at first, the more you drive it it'll become second nature to you.

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
try removing the stock clutch assist spring or swap out to the steeda one & see if it helps?

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I have a very long drive way "750 feet" and leave for work very early morning. So I don't wake my wife up I really nurse it. I had same problem. I just shift into 2nd gear soon as I start rolling or just start in 2nd. I have the PP so the 3.73 gears it's easy to do. Kinda wierd though my Shelby , same rear gears,doesn't do it at all? It's smooth as can be.

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT
I also hate this 1st to 2nd jerk, but have since just shifted earlier, or skip 1st gear when possible.

Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Don't just remove spring you will ruin clutch. Replace spring with steeda 35lb spring google steeda autosports. I changed mine and I never had the problem you are describing again.

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT
Don't just remove spring you will ruin clutch. Replace spring with steeda 35lb spring google steeda autosports. I changed mine and I never had the problem you are describing again.
An aftermarket spring can fix this? I wish I knew about this earlier.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
This.
It's a $10 part, change it and you will have a great feeling for the clutch :headbang:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Removing the spring ,,,,, I repeat " will not ruin your clutch!! " mine has been gone over 7k miles on a 600rwhp car. The spring is only an assist, it works on the same principle as a compound bow. It has no other purpose.

Sorry for all the !!!!! But you don't need a spring and in fact most like the feel better, as it's a steady more consistent feel.
Also I didn't even make it out of the dealership parking lot and pulled the one from my Shelby,,,
Again sorry but been in this discussion before, taking the spring out will not in any way hurt your clutch.

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
When i bought my '16 Gt, i thought maybe i had forgotten how to drive a manual car even though i had a '95 modded GT. I could not get smooth shifts consistently. I swapped to the steeda clutch spring and all my troubles are gone. Dollar for dollar one of the best mods you can do.

Sponsored

Mt-82 whine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' 5.0
Normal. Mt82 likes 1st to 2nd waaaay early or fairly aggressively with a little clutch feed. It doesn't like it in the middle

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Alright fellas, I love my new car, 2015 GT Premium 6speed manual transmission.

I bought the car with 20k miles on it, it would seem from bumper to bumper the car had been treated gently.

1st to 2nd shifts fine, no notchiness like I have read others complain about. If it is there, it isnt anything that is bothering me.

But when I release the clutch on 2nd gear in normal non-performance driving it, for lack of a better term, "Bounces" the motor and jerks the car enough to be unpleasant.

I have daily driven manuals before, and I have never had issues. I find myself clutching the steering wheel tight and full of anxiety trying to ease the clutch off into 2nd and not have the car "bounce" the motor before it settles and pulls.

I may sound like a buffoon describing this, maybe I should just be accelerating more with each shift. But, I can toss the car from 2nd to third letting off the clutch with no assist from the throttle needed, or worry about the bouncy motor an unpleasant ride quality of the car torquing thrusting while the engine settles down.

All other gears are great, smooth, no issues. I can take a video tomorrow, because I am about to go back to the dealer and grab a tech and make him drive the car just to take me out of the equation.

Again, under hard acceleration where I am obviously looking to add throttle to each gear it works great from 1st to 2nd.

Admittedly, this is the highest HP and Torque manual I have ever driven. The last manual I had was an 83 Datsun 280zx that had a beautiful manual tranny and clutch in it, it was so smooth that it was effortless. Admittedly it had NO HP or Torque and I am wondering if that is what is throwing me off here. Could it be that torque and low gearing of 2nd gear are what is throwing me off? Should I just be skipping 2nd and going to strait to third since 2nd is such a bullshit short lived gear anyway?

Any help or advice, constructive criticism, would be welcomed. This car is a daily driver fair weather toy. I didnt want an auto for a toy, I wanted a manual if I was going to have something to play with. I just hate this one aspect of the driving experience currently.:headbonk:
Just slow down the shift process and shift like a granny You'll notice if you depress the clutch and take your foot off the gas, the RPMs will drop and hold at the speed they need to be to engage the next gear. If the revs match, the shift will be smooth. It just takes more time than I'd like for the RPMs to fall.

The S550 is NOT the easiest manual to drive. In fact, I think it's the most difficult to drive smoothly of any car I've owned.

John

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the clutch system is pressurized, removing the spring wont damage it. S197 guys have been doing it for a long time already. Remove the clutch spring to get much better clutch feel

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Removing the spring ,,,,, I repeat " will not ruin your clutch!! " mine has been gone over 7k miles on a 600rwhp car. The spring is only an assist, it works on the same principle as a compound bow. It has no other purpose.

Sorry for all the !!!!! But you don't need a spring and in fact most like the feel better, as it's a steady more consistent feel.
Also I didn't even make it out of the dealership parking lot and pulled the one from my Shelby,,,
Again sorry but been in this discussion before, taking the spring out will not in any way hurt your clutch.
Not the clutch per se, the throwout bearing; and on some cars only. On some the pedal doesn't fully return (on mine it does when I had the spring out). This leaves the clutch fork lightly riding the throwout bearing. Failure won't happen in 7000 miles but it is possible that life will be reduced somewhat. The Steeda spring will fix this concern.

I put my OEM spring back in. While I like the feel with it out, it made the clutch much heavier which I didn't like. I sit in way too much traffic.

John

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
1st to 2nd is always tricky on manuals but when the drive train has tons of slop like the S550, it makes it even harder.
The trick is give it some gas before letting out the clutch pedal at the engagement point.
Sponsored