1st to 2nd manual shift - Rough?

PortlandTate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Black on Black
Hey fellow manual drivers, anyone notice the 1st to 2nd shift is almost impossible to do without the car giving a nice jerk? I drive it in sports mode mostly and no matter what I do I seem to either over rev and get a surge when releasing clutch, under rev and get a nice jerk.... or get close to perfect but still get a little jerk on release.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Hey fellow manual drivers, anyone notice the 1st to 2nd shift is almost impossible to do without the car giving a nice jerk? I drive it in sports mode mostly and no matter what I do I seem to either over rev and get a surge when releasing clutch, under rev and get a nice jerk.... or get close to perfect but still get a little jerk on release.

Any thoughts?
Jonathan, have you had a chance to go through the archives with regards to manual transmission issues yet (technical sub forum under transmission and drive trains)? There is an entire segment of this forum dedicated to MT82 Getrag gearbox issues to include hard shifts from first to second especially when cold soaked. Your problem sounds typical of some MT82 owners that have posted previously and the solutions have varied widely to include everything from swapping gearbox fluid to full on transmission replacements. I suggest reviewing those postings but also alerting your Ford service representative as additional piece of mind

OP
OP

PortlandTate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Vehicle(s)
Not that I've seen so far. Lots of posts regarding thuds and grinding, but nothing about 1st to 2nd jerkiness that I can find... at least not so far.

Herr Squid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost Premium
I had a bear of a time getting the revs right on 1-2 and 3-2 shifts (EB in my case) at first. It took me about 2 months to really get the feel for it, mind you I hadn't driven a manual in about 12 years... It helped a lot to take the "assist" spring off the clutch pedal.

Now it's pretty smooth. I think I just had to get used to it.

OP
OP

PortlandTate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Vehicle(s)
I think the clutch assist spring will do the trick. I'll take it out and let you know. Thanks!

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Once you get used to it, it'll be smooth. Try shifting before hitting 2,000 rpm. Unless you are unable to make the adjustment, in which case many people have removed their spring like mentioned above.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

Any thoughts?
Remove your clutch assist spring.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
get off the clutch easier

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Ease off into second when cruising. If I'm going 20-30 where I'm at, I'll skip second and hit third.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I think the clutch assist spring will do the trick. I'll take it out and let you know. Thanks!
I think you'll find that the jerky motion is more related to engine revs than the gearbox. I've noticed that the jerking only happens when the engine has not fully warmed up and when you depress the clutch for the shift the RPMs seems to hang at a higher level than is actually needed. I have started to get in the habit of not driving the car until it has settled to it's normal idle speed of around 600 RPM before driving it, that seems to help a lot.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed.^

If you keep the clutch pressed in and the car is warmed up, the tach will hang it at the perfect RPM. Just let the clutch out after the tach settles between shifts. If that's not working, let it out slower.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The clutch assist spring will reduce that herky jerky 1-2 shift.

OP
OP

PortlandTate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Vehicle(s)
Removing the clutch assist spring solved all of my issues and I love the more natural clutch feel. Thanks everyone.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
The MT82 officially sucks. I experience the thud on all gear changes. It doesnt matter warm or cold. When cold the 2-3 upshift is rough and the 1-2 could be better. No problems on any downshift though.
Sponsored