honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
2:00 in a stock GT350 is fucking fast at VIR. Hell of an engineer to have developing the car! Dude could drive! I only managed a 2:03 with HB. I got a long list of excuses, but I'll keep those myself.

Sigh

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
He only won 3 SCCA World Challenge GT championships. I am sure you are better than him.
A little more than that, he's one hell of an accomplished driver...

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Pobst

"Pobst was the 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2010 SCCA World Challenge GT champion, the 1996 North American Touring Car Championship title winner, and the 2005, 2006 and 2007 SCCA World Challenge TC vice-champion. He is also a two-time class winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona, in 2001 and 2006. Randy Pobst has more than 90 pro wins."

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
To me GM sees more of the Camaro front engine/Rear drive car competing with the likes of Porsche 911, MB AMG GT, Nissan GTR/Z.... that should retain the manual for the foreseeable future.

If the platform was a hot seller (and Cadillac saw success, rather than discontinuation) Alpha would have got its $$$ for a major update , but being pragmatic and seeing the success FCA has had on now the aging LX cars they probably see the current Alpha going on a reduced strategic update plan.

I think we got the near term decision on the Camaro nameplate when we saw the C8 intro'd and the lack of the manual. The min I saw the official specs I knew this was a way to buy 1-3 more MYs for Alpha based Camaro.

The game ain't over yet; however I also get the feeling we may have hit peak early 21st cent with cars like the GT500 , HC Red Eye... and the events of year 2020. :cwl::cwl:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
2:00 in a stock GT350 is fucking fast at VIR. Hell of an engineer to have developing the car! Dude could drive! I only managed a 2:03 with HB. I got a long list of excuses, but I'll keep those myself.

Sigh
Were you on the Cup 2s when you were there?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Were you on the Cup 2s when you were there?
Half the time were on Cup2s and half on Hoosiers. I was fighting that loose MR sensor that kept freaking the car out, so I wasn't pushing that hard. I had 2:01s predicted with clean laps. 2:00 flat would have been really hard for me I think. That's properly fast. He was carrying so much more speed into rollercoaster than I would have dared. That part of VIR is bloody scary! Over a blind hill at 140 and into a off camber, slanted braking zone. YIKES

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Half the time were on Cup2s and half on Hoosiers. I was fighting that loose MR sensor that kept freaking the car out, so I wasn't pushing that hard. I had 2:01s predicted with clean laps. 2:00 flat would have been really hard for me I think. That's properly fast. He was carrying so much more speed into rollercoaster than I would have dared. That part of VIR is bloody scary! Over a blind hill at 140 and into a off camber, slanted braking zone. YIKES
Thanks for the info. I noticed something similar on my local road course in my GT350. The track I go to doesn't have anything remotely as scary as what you are describing, but I still found it unpleasant to push the car hard in the high speed areas. The track is rough and it feels like the penalty for a mistake might be too big. I have a lot more fun stretching my limits at 60 mph and below. I realize I could really get hurt crashing at 30 mph, but it seems safer to me. It's hard not to push at times because I'm a competitive guy, but I think the high speed areas of the track are where I could make up the most time.

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Its been a long time since I drove VIR. I did it with the BMW guys with my 97. They had me with an instructor. Came in to the portion of the track and the instructor was screaming at me "you cant do that, you cant do that!!" As we exited the corner he says "I guess you can"
Sponsored