Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I'm a bit "deflated" after getting the news that the 2018 R allocation I paid a deposit on wasn't a real order in the system. Since then, I have found other deals (not msrp) so I am still not out of luck on the purchase.

The frustration of the buying process has me reconsidering/ cross shopping. I'm just not as enthusiastic as I was, and have fallen into a "paradox of choice." First world problems, for sure.

Did you seriously cross-shop with other models?

Would you buy another R again?

Thanks!

-Spencer
Spencer,

Did you speak with Don? If so did he mention anything about a 2019, or potentially getting one? That obviously wouldn't be a RIGHT NOW solution but if it's what you want....

I would buy an R again, I didn't cross shop the R but I did cross shop the 350 against the m2, used m3, 996tt, used GT-R etc. I obviously chose to move to the R over all of those. I honestly don't feel I'd go any other direction except a GT3 or GT3RS.. which are both significantly more expensive and above my price range at the moment. I would potentially choose a gt4, but it would have to be a specific option group and even then, I'm not sure I could do it.. but possibly.

Regardless of it's capability over the base 350, I just think you'd feel like you were settling if you truly had your heart set on an R. There is nothing wrong with the base model and honestly if you were to put the base on the same tire on a light wheel such as a Forgeline, that's within a lb or 2 of the carbon wheel, I feel like a lot of the "street" capability would be there. Yes there are things about the R that feel different and are different, but in terms of capability, stock for stock, the biggest difference is in the tire. Period.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'm a bit "deflated" after getting the news that the 2018 R allocation I paid a deposit on wasn't a real order in the system. Since then, I have found other deals (not msrp) so I am still not out of luck on the purchase.

The frustration of the buying process has me reconsidering/ cross shopping. I'm just not as enthusiastic as I was, and have fallen into a "paradox of choice." First world problems, for sure.

Did you seriously cross-shop with other models?

Would you buy another R again?

Thanks!

-Spencer
Since you are asking for our opinions I would like to know what first drew you to the GT350R in the first place?

Was it the outstanding driving experience, the sound of the FPC engine at ~8000 RPM, all of the many press and automobile awards that the R model has received over the last few years, the exclusivity of the car, the terrific looks of the car or are you just a long time Mustang enthusiast that wants the best Mustang out there?

Have you had the opportunity to drive a GT350/GT350R and if not I would suggest that you would be somewhat more enthusiastic towards either car if you had the opportunity to drive one as they are simply outstanding driving automobiles.

Prior to making a decision on whether to purchase an R model or any other car for that matter I would suggest that you test drive or find someone who will let you drive an R model or any other HP vehicle that you have interest in after which time your decision will be made much easier subject to your driving experience and what amount of money that you want to spend on a HP car.

Even with a small ADM there is not a vehicle that comes close to the looks and performance value of a GT350R at least from my standpoint.

Buy whatever car brings the biggest smile to your face and don't give a second thought to those who suggest that every R model or any other HP automobile has to be tracked in order to be enjoyed and justified by your ownership. Of course if you are buying an R model to track then have a terrific time and be safe out there.

My track days started some 50 years ago and I have no intentions of heading back to the track with one of my cars as I am more than happy to enjoy these GT350's on drives with my wife, children and grandchildren on various other events.

Good luck with your decision!

;)

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
With laterals such as the Ferrari 458, 911GT3, Cayman GT4, GTR and the M4 GTS, the R has outstanding relative and absolute value even with ADM! Absolutely would do it again.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have the regular GT350, and would still get it again. There isn’t anything in the price range that has the combination of great looks, great street capability, and great track capability, along with the sound and feel of the high revving V8.

At some point I would like to get a 911 GT3, but am not ready to make that step yet. Also intruigied by the mid engine vette, but even if I someday get one of those, I won’t be getting rid of the GT350.

-T

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
LOL! I owned a track pack and just driving on back roads the difference is night and day. So you don't really need to take it to the limits to experience the performance gap. Additionally, I can argue that the GT350 is overbuying vs an Ecoboost. No comparison.
I am not trying to defend my choice but while the R is definitely more fun (hell I am shopping for one finally :) ) I would not call the difference night and day vs a track pack. Put a set lightweight wheels and Cup2s with FP springs on a track pack and the difference is quite small. But I am willing to take the hit and upgrade still :D

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I am not trying to defend my choice but while the R is definitely more fun (hell I am shopping for one finally :) ) I would not call the difference night and day vs a track pack. Put a set lightweight wheels and Cup2s with FP springs on a track pack and the difference is quite small. But I am willing to take the hit and upgrade still :D
I agree with Zitro, the difference is night and day.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
....and resonator delete as it adds to the aural sensation of being more raw.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Ok. I did not modify my track pack nor have I modified my R. Speaking solely of the stock OEM configuration of both cars, the difference is night and day.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Ok. I did not modify my track pack nor have I modified my R. Speaking solely of the stock OEM configuration of both cars, the difference is night and day.
I could take that I guess ;) Stock track packs GT350, IMO come very softly sprung (the front that is). Combine that with a rear subframe that has too soft of a bushing and a dimensionally big car. It was good but not what I liked exactly. Springs helped a lot but lightweight wheels with proper tires helped even more. When I did the springs I got a ‘yeah, this is so much better’ but after the wheels and tires I was like ‘holly smokes this feels like a different car’. Add whatever you fancy to limit the movement of the rear subframe (which the R needs as well) and you get a hell of car to play with.

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I could take that I guess ;) Stock track packs GT350, IMO come very softly sprung. Combine that with a rear subframe that has too soft of a bushing and a dimensionally big car. It was good but not what I liked exactly. Springs helped a lot but lightweight wheels with proper tires helped even more. When I did the springs I got a ‘yeah, this is so much better’ but after the wheels and tires I was like ‘holly smokes this feels like a different car’. Add whatever you fancy to limit the movement of the rear subframe (which the R needs as well) and you get a hell of car to play with.
I was going to go down that rabbit hole. You know! Modifying the TP to be close to R performance. First the cost, Fudge that! Second, why? The TP is exactly what it was intended to be. A compromise of street and track. So instead I got an R. The R compromises as well. It could be better but it also is a street car. IMO it bridges the two perfectly. I do not believe the car needs anything. I do not want a full in race car. I'm building one and they ride like shit (Champ Car). Take for example the ZL1 1LE that goes further in to track capability, it rides like shit. And so is the case for most cars that take a hard line to track prowess.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Harold, totally agree with your comments when comparing OEM to OEM configurations.

While at Sebring in October 2015 I was able to get some extra laps in on both a Track Pack car and then 2 different R models and after coming out of the Track Pack and into the R models it was as you say like day and night.

Of course bigger and lighter wheels along with stickier and larger tires were a big factor but so was the stiffer springs and lower ride height along with a car that was somewhat lighter to throw around in some very tight turns.

;)

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I was going to go down that rabbit hole. You know! Modifying the TP to be close to R performance. First the cost, Fudge that! Second, why? The TP is exactly what it was intended to be. A compromise of street and track. So instead I got an R. The R compromises as well. It could be better but it also is a street car. IMO it bridges the two perfectly. I do not believe the car needs anything. I do not want a full in race car. I'm building one and they ride like shit (Champ Car). Take for example the ZL1 1LE that goes further in to track capability, it rides like shit. And so is the case for most cars that take a hard line to track prowess.
It is was not a rabbit hole ;) Since I already got what I wanted out of my car. BTW, I was not chasing R performance, I wanted a car that suits my needs better. And I got exactly that - I am done now and I am very happy with it. Now I realize the R is very close to what I want with no changes but no car is perfect in the end so if I end up finding the R that I am looking for I will modify that too to fit me better - albeit a lot less :)

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If I had the cash, 720S (or the coming LT), GT3RS, GT2RS, Pista, or TDF. Wish list, for sure, but short of those cars, the R is a fantastic DD that does not embarrass when beat on at the track. And, though beating a dead horse, the almost constant attention it gets is ridiculous.

So, yeah, I would buy it again.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I do not even have an R but I wold buy a base GT350 again so I’m sure the feeling of buying an R would be even greater.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
yes, been there done that. The real question at this point is will I be keeping them both....
Sponsored