Sponsored

Would really appreciate help in diagnosing an electrical problem

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has some time, if they could measure the voltage between the rightmost pin on this connector and ground with engine off, ignition on on a 2015 or later EcoBoost.

I’m getting 5.6 volts and I believe this is a short circuit but it might be normal so I’m just wasting my time looking for it. Would really appreciate if someone could check on their car for me.

Thanks.

91DA1724-7DF9-4E75-9D2F-C68BCE5821D6.jpeg

There’s a ground point behind the engine or you can connect to the strut tower nuts.
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has some time, if they could measure the voltage between the rightmost pin on this connector and ground with engine off, ignition on on a 2015 or later EcoBoost.

I’m getting 5.6 volts and I believe this is a short circuit but it might be normal so I’m just wasting my time looking for it. Would really appreciate if someone could check on their car for me.

Thanks.

There’s a ground point behind the engine or you can connect to the strut tower nuts.
Shorts would normally trip a breaker or blow a fuse.our cars run on 12v so it's weird to get 5,6v anywhere outside the computer.sorry can't help
Are there any symptoms or codes being thrown.

elrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EcoBoost Prem Vert Pony Pkg TY
Hey guys,

Thanks.

I made an unsuccessful try. I chose not to puncture the wire insultation or the contact environmental seal so I could not measure the voltage on that wire. My installation (2017 EB) does not have any access to contacts in the location of your red arrow. If you have a suggestion, I can try again.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'd have to ask what that connector and specific wire are for? What are you chasing and why? If it's 5.6V it could be a signal wire and exactly what it's supposed to be. If you're hunting for an electrical gremlin I'd strongly suggest getting yourself a service manual and a wiring diagram. Between the two they may very well tell you what to expect at any given connection without hoping that someone is willing to risk damaging their car probing random wires.

OP
OP
Ardy

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
I made an unsuccessful try. I chose not to puncture the wire insultation or the contact environmental seal so I could not measure the voltage on that wire. My installation (2017 EB) does not have any access to contacts in the location of your red arrow. If you have a suggestion, I can try again.
Thanks for trying. I measured it by disconnecting the connector from the sensor and used a thin piece of wire to probe the female socket.

I'd have to ask what that connector and specific wire are for? What are you chasing and why? If it's 5.6V it could be a signal wire and exactly what it's supposed to be. If you're hunting for an electrical gremlin I'd strongly suggest getting yourself a service manual and a wiring diagram. Between the two they may very well tell you what to expect at any given connection without hoping that someone is willing to risk damaging their car probing random wires.
Thanks for the reply.
Crankcase ventilation pressure sensor.

What are you chasing and why?
I have a check engine light with code P051B - crankcase pressure sensor unexpected range

it could be a signal wire and exactly what it's supposed to be.
But I'm getting 5.6V when the sensor is disconnected.

I'd strongly suggest getting yourself a service manual and a wiring diagram
willing to risk damaging their car probing random wires
Taking a voltage reading is never harmful and I don't expect anybody to try something they're not comfortable doing. Only if it's easy for them and know what they're doing.
I am following the shop manual "pinpoint test HG" and the steps are to measure voltage between that pin and ground.

Sponsored

elrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EcoBoost Prem Vert Pony Pkg TY
Sorry. I did not know that you wanted open-circuit voltage measured. I measured 5.54 volts just now. Therefore, I believe that your measurement of 5.6 volts is nominal and normal.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Here's a Google search result on your code.id bring it to dealer.anything with word crankcase in a code would make me head to dealer,so many bad things could be happening

https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p051b/

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hey guys,

Thanks.

Looking at your image - and your profile, you have a 2019 EB S550.

That added Ford Performance catch can in your image was not a factory installed part - and since you're having a Crank Case code popping (P051B), I'd be looking at the installation of the CC and checking for any issues with it or surrounding PCV components. I don't believe the issue is the electric current you're chasing.

Check also:
  1. PCV valve clogged or in need of replacement
  2. Collapsed, damaged, chafed, breached PCV hoses/lines or hoses/lines that may have come loose
  3. Oil is not overfilled
  4. Clogged PCV system - Sludgy oil, carbon buildup, or moisture/condensation in the crankcase
  5. Moisture or water intrusion into crankcase

OP
OP
Ardy

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
Sorry. I did not know that you wanted open-circuit voltage measured. I measured 5.54 volts just now. Therefore, I believe that your measurement of 5.6 volts is nominal and normal.
Thanks mate I really appreciate it.

This is a screenshot from the ford service manual.

1637189328410.png

Which is why I've been looking for a short that doesn't exist!!!

Edit: and sorry the picture had the connecter still plugged in so my bad for making that confusing.

OP
OP
Ardy

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
Looking at your image - and your profile, you have a 2019 EB S550.

That added Ford Performance catch can in your image was not a factory installed part - and since you're having a Crank Case code popping (P051B), I'd be looking at the installation of the CC and checking for any issues with it or surrounding PCV components. I don't believe the issue is the electric current you're chasing.

Check also:
  1. PCV valve clogged or in need of replacement
  2. Collapsed, damaged, chafed, breached PCV hoses/lines or hoses/lines that may have come loose
  3. Oil is not overfilled
  4. Clogged PCV system - Sludgy oil, carbon buildup, or moisture/condensation in the crankcase
  5. Moisture or water intrusion into crankcase
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was looking for electrical issues because of this from the ford service manual which says there should be no voltage between that pin and ground. But both our cars have voltage present there so it's definitely normal.

1637189489850.png
Sponsored