would like info / Help

Alerotaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My wife was driving the 2015 GT Convertible. She had been gone for a day or two.. on the way home the car ran rough and died. I show up and the battery is dead. I put a new battery in and the car still will not start or boot up.. Now hear is the real?? It acts like it not fully reading the fob.. all new batteries in all FOBs and.. when you push the button on or off all the inside lights stay on.. the Dash screen does not do a full boot up but is on as well.... you press the start button twice it will then let you shift car into neutral. press again it locks the shifter back.. Anyone else seen or dealt with this? I have quickly read it could be , starter bad, push start bad, Alternator bad.. LOL so before I dig for days.. wanted a better understanding.. wife did tell me she thought she noticed the car power stayed on as well so i assume that killed the battery... .. I hope this is clear what I'm trying to tell. Any and all help would be great.. but was hoping someone actually had to deal with this and what they found out as well.
Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
If it's not reading the FOB, it would tell you "No Key Found" on the dash. If this is the case, place the fob in the cup holder and try starting it. Even if the battery is removed from FOB, the cup holder will read the chip and allow it to start.

OP
OP

Alerotaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If it's not reading the FOB, it would tell you "No Key Found" on the dash. If this is the case, place the fob in the cup holder and try starting it. Even if the battery is removed from FOB, the cup holder will read the chip and allow it to start.
Nothing is booting up at all on the dash, other than i think if i rememeber right.. the odometor.. but also if i rmemebr right when you get in the car i think the horse boots up on the dash... something does.. but not now

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like your battery is no good. Did you try starting the car with another one jump starting it ? So with cables on the battery I mean ?

OP
OP

Alerotaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sounds like your battery is no good. Did you try starting the car with another one jump starting it ? So with cables on the battery I mean ?
I put a whole new battery in the car and it would not start, but that is how i noticed that none of the lights turn off. I think that is what drained the first battery. When I had the car towed i realized if we hit the start button it will unlock and re-lock the shifter. so to me that means it is reading the fob... but i could be wrong. Part two is.. if the car was draining the battery when sitting then when she started the car I would think the Alt. would be recharging the battery and so it would not of shut the car off.. unless it was the Alternator making all the problems. That is where I am stuck.. is it the Alt? Is it the push start system? and I am reading it could be the starter due to all the wires that flow through it. That is why am asking if anyone else has had this issue.. before i dig in, un-bolt stuff.. Swap out stuff that doesn't need replacing to just see what happens. LOL Most shops will say when it comes to electrical gremlins they charge 125 and hour... so I would like to do a little trail and error before i have to take it to a shop.. I have worked on cars for years but this one has me a little Leary before i dig in.. I am starting the think this is not a common problem..

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Dood.....chill......

You have a bad/not fully charged replacement battery. Go get another new battery, let it charge to 100%, then put it in.

OP
OP

Alerotaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Dood.....chill......

You have a bad/not fully charged replacement battery. Go get another new battery, let it charge to 100%, then put it in.
Sorry if i came across wrong.. was not upset.. was just trying to follow up.. and type in details

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sorry if i came across wrong.. was not upset.. was just trying to follow up.. and type in details
Just pull the battery, take it back to wherever you bought it, ask for another one that is 100% charged. If that means letting them charge it over night or whatever, that's what you'll have to do. Maybe call first and have them put the new battery on the charger, so it's ready when you get there.

These cars are incredibly sensitive to battery condition. It's got to be perfect.

The first rule of automotive repair, is to start with the simple/obvious first. And the simple/obvious answer is the new battery you got is either a dud, or it wasn't charged 100%.

Back in the day you could grab a battery off the shelf at an auto parts store, stick it in the car, and as long as it had enough juice to turn the engine and get it to fire, you were good. The alternator would take care of the rest.

Those days are long gone. Replacement batteries need to be 100% good-to-go when installed. There's too many sensitive electronics now.

Last edited:

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Wouldn't hurt to throw a volt meter on it...

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
And all you guys that say throw a battery at it , what about a bms reset ? Just saying .

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I put a whole new battery in the car and it would not start, but that is how i noticed that none of the lights turn off. I think that is what drained the first battery. When I had the car towed i realized if we hit the start button it will unlock and re-lock the shifter. so to me that means it is reading the fob... but i could be wrong. Part two is.. if the car was draining the battery when sitting then when she started the car I would think the Alt. would be recharging the battery and so it would not of shut the car off.. unless it was the Alternator making all the problems. That is where I am stuck.. is it the Alt? Is it the push start system? and I am reading it could be the starter due to all the wires that flow through it. That is why am asking if anyone else has had this issue.. before i dig in, un-bolt stuff.. Swap out stuff that doesn't need replacing to just see what happens. LOL Most shops will say when it comes to electrical gremlins they charge 125 and hour... so I would like to do a little trail and error before i have to take it to a shop.. I have worked on cars for years but this one has me a little Leary before i dig in.. I am starting the think this is not a common problem..
I would try to jump start it with power from other car as this is the only way to be sure you have enough power in the car. If this doesn't help then we can start chasing other issues. My friend have a 2018 with dead battery he couldn't even unlock the car with the key. So he used the actual key to open it and put a new battery lucky the new battery made the car start. Just try to jump start the car.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I would try to jump start it with power from other car as this is the only way to be sure you have enough power in the car. If this doesn't help then we can start chasing other issues. My friend have a 2018 with dead battery he couldn't even unlock the car with the key. So he used the actual key to open it and put a new battery lucky the new battery made the car start. Just try to jump start the car.
I disagree. I hate jump starting modern autos, especially with another vehicle. N my opinion that option is only for true emergencies. There are just too many electronics that can be damaged by voltage spikes, both on the jumper and jumpie vehicles.
The absolute best option here is to put that new battery on a charger for several hours then start testing. Doing otherwise will always leave the battery in question.
As someone said above, a volt meter is your friend. And if you want to work on your own cars a battery charger is a must have. In fact, given that the lights stayed on running down the original battery I'd be willing to bet a charger would have saved the OP the cost of a new battery.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Everyone should have a cheap voltmeter. They remove a lot of doubt about anything that requires batteries. Especially if you have a lot of rechargeable batteries.

OP
OP

Alerotaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just letting you know between Work and Weather I have not been able to get to work on the car yet..

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Stupid question, and I've seen it at least 10x, you did take BOTH plastic caps off of the battery posts?
Sponsored