Sponsored

Wireless Apple CarPlay

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
CarPlay does not function in the port below the HVAC controls, only the center console (can only speak for GT350). This is what I meant about CarPlay port. Granted, that port is not limited to the CarPlay function.
Weird. They both work with CarPlay on the 17 GT. But I do recall reading somewhere on here that older model S550 and possibly even 17/18(?) GT350s needed to have one of the usb port/hub swapped out for CarPlay to work on both.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Weird. They both work with CarPlay on the 17 GT. But I do recall reading somewhere on here that older model S550 and possibly even 17/18(?) GT350s needed to have one of the usb port/hub swapped out for CarPlay to work on both.
Works fine in either port on my 18 Eco. I can’t imagine it’s an option on an Eco and not the GT350, especially considering the wiring and USB hardware is the same.
You're right. Found out it does work on the center port for post-2016s. The 16's came with three ports--two in the arm rest and the one under the radio. To use CarPlay you had to change out the arm rest port and update Sync 3.

Two CarPlay-capable ports would be even less reason for me to use wireless.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Any update guys?
Any updates. Is it sluggish? I really hope this works, because I want this a lot. Just want to make sure it works well with Sync3

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Any update guys?
Still waiting for mine.

Chinese tracking today says they’re preparing shipment 12/11/19. That was Wednesday last week. Hoping I didn’t throw $160 away ?

Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am circling back on the wireless carplay dongle. DO NOT BUY IT!!! IT IS JUNK!

I received it on Sat, Dec 14th. Between my order on Dec 3rd and receipt of the device, I received several emails from the merchant about firmware updates, etc. All technical stuff about getting the device to work. That made me nervous that I purchased this hoopty thing way too early in development. So once I received it, I tried it without doing the firmware update. It did not work, I could pair and activate but the display of the Sync3 was stuck on the dongle's connecting screen. That is the known issue in the emails I had received. I then proceeded to update the firmware per their instructions. No issues there. Re-attached the unit to Sync3 and I have the same issues, I can pair and activate but the screen is stuck on 'Connecting'. Music from my phone is playing over carplay while the connecting screen is shown. Google Maps and Waze function like they are not connected to carplay. I do get the Carplay prompt and screen on my phone but the Sync3 is stuck with there overriding screen. Carplay still works perfect via USB/Lightning cable.

Since Saturday, I have sent the merchant roughly 15 emails, at first asking questions but the last 10 have been twice a day, 'Have you received my emails?' email.... NO RESPONSE!

This morning I called AmEx, which I used to pay for it. They quickly 'suspended the charge' and opened a case with the merchant. The closure date on the case is Feb 7, 2020. By that date, the merchant can send me a new working unit and I have to verify with AmEx I have and it works. If by Feb 7, the merchant has not produced a working unit or voluntarily refunded the money, AmEx will make the chargeback official with the merchant. On the AmEx site I already see the charge removed from my balance. This is exactly why I use AmEx for most purchases, they protect their customers from this BS.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

I received it on Sat, Dec 14th. Between my order on Dec 3rd and receipt of the device, I received several emails from the merchant about firmware updates, etc. All technical stuff about getting the device to work. That made me nervous that I purchased this hoopty thing way too early in development. So once I received it, I tried it without doing the firmware update. It did not work, I could pair and activate but the display of the Sync3 was stuck on the dongle's connecting screen. That is the known issue in the emails I had received. I then proceeded to update the firmware per their instructions. No issues there. Re-attached the unit to Sync3 and I have the same issues, I can pair and activate but the screen is stuck on 'Connecting'. Music from my phone is playing over carplay while the connecting screen is shown. Google Maps and Waze function like they are not connected to carplay. I do get the Carplay prompt and screen on my phone but the Sync3 is stuck with there overriding screen. Carplay still works perfect via USB/Lightning cable.

Since Saturday, I have sent the merchant roughly 15 emails, at first asking questions but the last 10 have been twice a day, 'Have you received my emails?' email.... NO RESPONSE!

This morning I called AmEx, which I used to pay for it. They quickly 'suspended the charge' and opened a case with the merchant. The closure date on the case is Feb 7, 2020. By that date, the merchant can send me a new working unit and I have to verify with AmEx I have and it works. If by Feb 7, the merchant has not produced a working unit or voluntarily refunded the money, AmEx will make the chargeback official with the merchant. On the AmEx site I already see the charge removed from my balance. This is exactly why I use AmEx for most purchases, they protect their customers from this BS.
Thanks for the update. Let's see if they ever respond again.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. Let's see if they ever respond again.
It's funny I have 8 emails from them Dec8 - Dec13, which is day of order through the day before I received. But zero email since.....

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy

I hate waisting money dam this sucks :angry:

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for the update, sorry for your frustration.

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack

Did you buy it from car2play or from ebay that they are a lot of dongle half the price ?

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
another quick update... i did receive an reply email from carplay2air on saturday night, from an email i sent on monday. it said they were aware of on-going issues and to be patient that their engineers were working on the issues. i told them to pound sand and refund my $$ then provide a mechanism to send their paperweight back.

Odox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
The eBay ones I keep finding are for Android-based third party infotainment units.
This android based unit works with no problems, truly plug and play.
Sponsored