Sponsored

Apple CarPlay

twisted42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Guard PP
Ok, so probably a dumb question, but I recently bought a 2016 GT Premium PP and was told it had apple carplay. Now I am reading that the update with carpal is "coming soon"

So is it there or not? If so, how do I access it?
Sponsored

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
It's coming soon. Last I heard Ford was hoping for end of 2016 to release it. I think you might have Siri in your car though. Try connecting via USB and long pressing the voice button.

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
You have to get the ios device and plug it into the usb in the trunk.

OP
OP
twisted42

twisted42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Guard PP
It's coming soon. Last I heard Ford was hoping for end of 2016 to release it. I think you might have Siri in your car though. Try connecting via USB and long pressing the voice button.
Thanks for the info. So I will just wait... lol

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That is what I call "user friendly"
There are two USB ports in the '16, both incredibly convenient: one under the center stack, one in the armrest console.

I have _zero_ idea what USB in the trunk means ...

Anyway, they will allow a nice level of integration with an iOS device, Siri, and specially developed Ford apps (using AppLink) will let you extend the functionality of the Sync3 system without Car Play.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
App Catalog, additional info:

http://owner.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-applink-catalog-sync.html

To answer your question, Ford has indicated they're going to release a software update for Car Play (and Android Play), and the current thinking is it will be after '17s start landing at dealers, so folks are thinking maybe July.

There was a recent document that circulated that said something about additional hardware for Car Play (specifically), so if that's the case, it might be a USB control interface upgrade to accommodate the lightning specification - nobody knows the details yet, if it's for sure, if so, cost, or if it's something that can be installed by a user (the hardware, not the software).

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
when I took delivery of my 16 last Thursday, the tech guy at the dealership told me the Android Auto and Car Play update will hit approximately 3 months after the 17 Escapes hit dealerships

dconfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I was looking at a 17 escape yesterday. The salesman told me the change of hardware will be the usb port. He also said it will cost 100 bucks. Take this for what it is worth thou.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I was looking at a 17 escape yesterday. The salesman told me the change of hardware will be the usb port. He also said it will cost 100 bucks. Take this for what it is worth thou.
This is what I was thinking. So I think he is probably correct.. but again.. with Ford we never know until they tell us..

Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I also have 2016 GT. Siri works fine over Bluetooth. just long hold buttom. I believe all 2016 are Sync 2.
negative, the 16's are indeed Sync 3 :headbang:
Sponsored