Sponsored

Winter Beater

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a winter beater so I don't have to drive my 1320 in the white stuff and salt in NW Ohio. I don't want to spend more than about 6k and really want a Jeep like a Classic Cherokee or maybe a Grand Cherokee. I don't know a lot about them, but heard they were really good in the snow. I like the looks of the older Cherokees (I know a little boxy) and they are smaller since I don't need something big for just me. But I'm finding its hard to find one that isn't beaten up or rusted out being that old. I'm also considering a slightly newer Grand Cherokee or maybe a Wrangler. Just wondering what you guys think that have had or driven one of these or what else I should consider.
Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
The older 4.0 straight six Cherokee sports were great, but good luck finding one of those in decent shape. Personally I would stay far away from an older Grand Cherokee. Everyone I've known with one has regretted it due to a vast number of issues - mostly electrical. Wranglers are ok, but the $6k range is typically the project range for pricing. Personally, I'm partial to Toyota 4Runners. If you can find one that's not rusted out the 4th gens are damn near unstoppable. My 05 V8 has >200k and has been nothing short of amazing. I've yet to find an on or off road situation that gives it even the slightest of hesitation. Bonus is that its also damn near unbreakable with rock solid reliability.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know what you mean about finding a classic Cherokee in good shape. Every time I find a decent looking one on the marketplace it sells before I can even look at it. There are a couple up in Michigan that may be worth a look, but not sure about doing a private sale that far away. I was going to check out a 98 Sport at a dealership which looks to be in excellent original condition, but its red and almost 3 hours away. But they are asking 9k for it and say they won't budge on the price. He did say they could possibly work something out for delivery though. I also just noticed an 02 Grand Cherokee that doesn't look bad not too far away. It only has 135k miles on it and has the 4L which I hear is a very reliable motor. I hadn't heard much about electric issues with them, but haven't been looking for one for that long either. I'll have to keep my eye out for a 4runner, but haven't seen very many pop up. I'm thinking I better at least look at that GC because they usually go quick if they are any good at all.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Any of them with the 4.0 would be a good buy if the rest of the vehicle is in decent shape, but again, be very cautious with the Grand Cherokee's. Another great winter beater would be a CR-V. Definitely not the sexiest vehicle, but they're plentiful and cheap.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I didn't like the looks of that one. They always look worse in person than the pics. It had a broken off antennae and a rust hole on the rear quarter. I didn't even want to drive it. There is an 05 Grand Cherokee I may look at tomorrow. Nothing special, but he says its rust free. It has 136k miles on it for 5k. I'm not sure how good those 3.7's are? A little more power and better mileage than the 4L, but I hear they don't last as long. But then again I will probably only drive it for maybe 2 to 3k miles a year tops.

Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a Cherokee.. but I picked up a 2006 Commander (3.7L) for winter duty for $3,000.., I threw some tires, alternator and battery on it and its been a beast.. haven't gotten much snow this year, but when we did, it handled it like a tank. I am sure the Cherokee is the same.

Mine has 187K miles on it.. still runs good and a beast off the line.. haha

Last edited:
OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I took the road trip up to Ann Arbor today to look at that 05 Cherokee and it was a nightmare! My GPS kept going out so a 90 mile trip took me well over 2 hours. The salesman lied to me about the vehicle condition and location of the vehicle in his emails. It wasn't at the main dealership as it was down the road at the "budget" outlet. It was supposedly rust free according to the internet salesman, but had at least 3 major rust areas and multiple scratches. I don't know why I couldn't see it in the pics as I studied them close. Then the outlet sales guy was rude. He didn't even come out to meet me and knew I was coming. He then informed me there was a check engine light on, but said a $30 part and $300 or so in labor should fix it up. I commented on the condition of the car not being what was advertised (not to mention no check engine light in the ad) and then asked if he had anything in better condition with four wheel drive and he said whatever you see out there. This is a buy as is place with no warranty and if you want something nicer go down to the main dealership and be ready so spend in the teens at least.

I passed on even driving it like the one I looked at yesterday. I'm not as upset over the misinformation than the waste of my time and putting over 250 miles on my car for nothing. The irony is just when I get home I see a post from a guy with a private sale of a 98 Grand Cherokee in which he reduced his price to 3k and I was just in his town about an hour ago. I totally forgot about that one as I figured he would have sold it since it was listed almost 2 months ago. It doesn't look too bad and it supposedly only has one rust spot on the rear hatch, the interior is really nice for the age and he has a lot of new parts on it including brakes and tires. But it has 211k miles on it and when talking to him again, he now mentions it will need the front axle joints done, but has them. I have no idea what that entails, but from a quick search looks like it could cost anywhere from $75 each to over a grand in labor if you have the parts. He says it runs fine in 2wd now, but those will need fixed to use the 4wd. IDK, it may be worth a look as it is pretty cheap, but I don't really want a project. It would be different if I knew how to work on cars. My dad does, but I hate to ask him as he turns 80 in a couple days. I'm thinking it may be better to just drive my Challenger the rest of the winter again this year and take my time looking for a jeep in the spring or summer or wait until one pops up close by.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I love when sellers say "it's an easy, cheap, simple, quick, etc. repair..." If it was any of those they'd of done it themselves...

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I hear ya. Another guy has an 01 Cherokee Classic with 127k miles that looks pretty nice, but needs a few "minor" things. He's asking 8.5k for it now which is way too high IMO. He was asking about 3 grand less a few weeks ago, but it started overheating so he put a new radiator, water pump and battery in it. I don't understand the huge bump in price. He says he's got almost 11k in it as he replaced the brake lines and put a new radio, back up camera, sound system with custom enclosure in it. He also sprayed the floorboards with rust converter and sealant, redid the carpet and sound deadening material and added LED headlights and air intake. But it still needs brakes soon and he says could use some suspension work as its a little "creaky", but thinks some new bushings may fix it.

IDK, it may be a pretty nice ride for what it is, but you can't go by what somebody put into it. KBB is saying its only worth about 5.5k tops. Of course it does have those upgrades he did to it. I'm thinking of offering him 6k tops and see what he says. I probably won't be able to find one that nice at a dealership from my recent experience unless I have one shipped from the South or something, but most likely won't go that route as I like to actually see what I'm getting in person. It looks like some of the nicer ones are going for around 10k and up at dealerships.

I've been pretty much focusing on Jeeps, but did notice a 2007 BMW X3 in supposedly excellent condition with 140k miles for 4.6k. I don't know too much about them. It has the straight six which I hear can sometimes have oil leaks. It does have more creature comforts that I'm used to though like heated seats and remote start and also has a big sunroof.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
One of my coworkers bought an older Jeep wagoneer I believe. He went down to Texas or Arizona or something to find a clean one. I know he had to do quite a bit when he first got it, but I noticed he's been driving it for a year or two now - so I believe it's working for him. You might consider looking in the south if that interests you.

I used to own a 2002 Explorer. That thing was great in the snow and it was extremely reliable. I paid $2k for it and another $2,500 for various maintenance when I first bought it. I used it winters only. I bought it with about 220,000 miles on it. I was surprised that not only did it not use any oil, it didn't even drip any oil. It was boring, but always worked just fine. It took me a while to find one with no rust, but it actually had almost none. It had the V6 engine. Great value for the money in my opinion.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah may be an option, but I don't think I want something that big. Its just me right now and I don't see that changing anytime soon and my my Challenger just barely fits on the other side of the garage where I would park the 2nd vehicle d/t my pool filter system in the floor. I know its a long car though so most likely anything would fit if I'm careful. Finding one with no or minimal rust looks to be the main issue. A few have popped up in the past, but any good one is gone within hours or days at the most. I messaged a place in FL and also out East that have a lot of them in good condition to see if they would ship one to me, but they have not replied. I'm thinking they want to focus on somebody closer and I'm not sure about purchasing something without seeing and maybe driving it first. I have already realized that pics are deceiving and they always seem to have issues you can't see in the photo's. There is a guy that has one up in MI that is supposedly rust free, but it is white and he wants almost 7k for it. It may be worth a look, but I'm a little leery about another road trip over 2 hours and it will be difficult to get it home without finding somebody to go with me and I would have to get the loan approved beforehand also if I didn't want to make 2 trips and not sure I want to do that either. That is why I shifted to looking mainly at dealerships, but I'm finding I most likely won't find as nice of one for the money going that route. Maybe I will have to up my budget a bit, but I don't have to get one. I would just be nice to have something easier to drive when we get bad weather and also to keep the mileage and wear and tear down on the 1320 as I know it could be worth a lot more when the time comes to trade in or sell if I don't end up keeping it that is.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The guy with the 01 Cherokee dropped the price back down to 7.5k, but says its negotiable. IDK, its tempting as its just what I wanted and has those upgrades. I guess brakes and bushings aren't that big of a deal. I also found an 08 Grand Cherokee Limited with 100k miles for 6k. It has the V8 in it, which he says has been rebuilt and new brakes. Another idea is a 07 Volvo XC9 which looks pretty nice and much more of a luxury ride. But its got 185k miles and he is asking 6.8k. The guy with the 98 Grand Cherokee for 3k is expecting me to come by too, but IDK if I want a project of replacing the front axle joints and fixing the rear hatch at some point. Plus I was planning on going with lightstream for the loan because of it sounds like they don't ask a lot of questions and you get the funds quick, but you have to borrow a min of 5k. I don't know if you are allowed to borrow more than the cars purchase price and use the funds for repairs or updates or not?

Last edited:

Paul_Toombes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2012 Raptor
If you aren't allergic to Foreign vehicles, Subarus are incredible in this climate. I've always had some kind of Subaru since I started driving here in Ohio and they are monsters in the snow. Never gotten stuck or stranded with a set of good snow tires like Nokians. They can also be had in the price range you are looking at if you get something a little older and not the highest spec, I've always had early 00's WRX's.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I've always wanted a WRX. But don't like the looks of the new ones as much. I really want something you can haul stuff in with the 2nd car too. Like a pickup or SUV so something like a forester would work.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Yeah, I've always wanted a WRX. But don't like the looks of the new ones as much. I really want something you can haul stuff in with the 2nd car too. Like a pickup or SUV so something like a forester would work.
I had a 2004 Forester XT. The turbo engines don't last well and mine had some upgrades, so I replaced it at 93k miles. I gave it to my son-in-law who gave it to my grandson and it now has over 200k miles. Brakes and struts were replaced and a window motor went bad. Otherwise, it is sill going. The interior was always pretty basic and it has held up well. Foresters only weigh 3200 lbs, so they are quite nimble. Very utilitarian, nothing fancy to worry about damaging.

Another over-looked gem is the 2007 Saturn Vue AWD. It has a plastic body and bullet-proof Honda V6 running gear. It's not heavy, so it's a strong runner. My wife has had one since new and it now has 150k miles. It has needed very little other than standard wear items; easily the most economical vehicle I have ever owned by a long shot. My wife will keep it until she dies. It still looks just fine inside and out and performs better than the new SUVs.

In 2008, they rebadged a Chevy SUV, so the 2005 -2007 models are the only ones you want.
Sponsored