Overlanding Build - Picked up a GX470 as a winter beater

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Just picked up a '08 GX470 to use as my new daily/winter beater. Only had it two weeks so far but I've already started building it (because I cannot let any car I own stay stock lol).

Imgur Album of Build: https://imgur.com/a/BtAkEvY

Build Progress:

Purchased Stock (3/7/20) vs. Now (3/19/20)
vbXigbS.jpg

Purchased - Bone Stock:
Q5OGHRx.jpg

XTOdJj0.jpg

Fixing the Headlights:
LWiV7Tv.jpg

fomhmo0.jpg

Running Boards Deleted:
j52uI8B.jpg

TRD Pro Wheels and Wildpeak AT3 Tires Installed + Prepping to Cut the Front Bumper:
IyShWZ8.jpg

Bumper Chopped, Lamin-x Film on Fogs, Plastidipped Grille and Badges:
ehke7MJ.jpg

Lift Kit Arrived (Dobinsons 2" w/ Air Bag Delete Kit):
Z5D13Yc.jpg

Lifted:
pRng9wh.jpg

Still coming is a Victory 4x4 roof rack to replace the OEM rails/rack. Hopefully that shows up soon.

After that I'm planning on RSG angled sliders and a steel front bumper soon after.
Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! How do you like the Dobinson’s suspension so far?? I had an ‘07 4Runner and loved that thing. Same chassis and all as the gx’s, but mine had the 1gr instead of the 2uz. Some of the most reliable 4x4’s ever. I had the same wheels too actually
6CEB4DE4-5BF7-4132-93B3-B8A656443FFF.jpeg

OP
OP
TheSnowmanMafia

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Awesome! How do you like the Dobinson’s suspension so far?? I had an ‘07 4Runner and loved that thing. Same chassis and all as the gx’s, but mine had the 1gr instead of the 2uz. Some of the most reliable 4x4’s ever. I had the same wheels too actually
I cannot say enough good things about the suspension setup. I went with medium springs up front and stock weight in the rear since I'll be adding a front bumper soon.

The shocks/struts ride similar to sport mode for the original air bag suspension. Feels very OEM in terms of refinement. Not overly stiff or soft, just tight and comfortable.

Price wise I can't complain either. The entire setup was 1200 bucks plus install but I don't think the 4Runner had airbags so you can take 300 dollars off that price since you wouldn't need to do a coil conversion.

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
That looks great. Removing those running boards really changes the look.

How much increased road noise was there moving from the stock tires to those A/T's? I'm not an offroad guy, but I do want to get into it eventually.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot say enough good things about the suspension setup. I went with medium springs up front and stock weight in the rear since I'll be adding a front bumper soon.

The shocks/struts ride similar to sport mode for the original air bag suspension. Feels very OEM in terms of refinement. Not overly stiff or soft, just tight and comfortable.

Price wise I can't complain either. The entire setup was 1200 bucks plus install but I don't think the 4Runner had airbags so you can take 300 dollars off that price since you wouldn't need to do a coil conversion.
Good to hear. May have to try those out when I get back into the Toyota 4x4 game again. Did you go with 265/70’s? P or LT? If LT, what load range?

How much increased road noise was there moving from the stock tires to those A/T's? I'm not an offroad guy, but I do want to get into it eventually.
The Wild peak’s are known for being one of, if not the, quietest all terrains you can buy. I had the ko2’s on my 4Runner and they were very quiet as well

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheSnowmanMafia

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium

Thanks! I'm hoping to get the replacement metal sliders on there somewhat soon. My wife has to hop up into the truck as it stands lol.

The tires are crazy quiet. I was shocked. Honestly I think they make less road noise than the PS4S on my Mustang.

Good to hear. May have to try those out when I get back into the Toyota 4x4 game again. Did you go with 265/70’s? P or LT? If LT, what load range?

The Wild peak’s are known for being one of, if not the, quietest all terrains you can buy. I had the ko2’s on my 4Runner and they were very quiet as well
265 /70 R17 115T SL is what I went with.

Just the standard size of the new 4Runners. I thought about going with 275s but didn't want to chop up the bumper/fender liners any more than I had to already.

I've gotten to drive on them in the snow once already and it felt really stable and had lots of grip, super happy with them so far.

DSNOD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
That's a great ride. We have a 460 that my wife drives. Another 70k miles and she'll get a new car and I can do whatever I want to it.
80k miles on it so far with only a set of pads, wiper blades and regular fluids...knock on wood.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hell yeah! I love it and definitely admire the big Yota’s out there.

I picked this up last month:

02 Overland (Quadra Drive)

upload_2020-3-26_21-29-35.jpeg

OP
OP
TheSnowmanMafia

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Thanks guys!

My roof rack came yesterday so I built it and mounted it.

SwqnSn5.jpg

qO9ThZp.jpg

car_designer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Very nice GX470 build! I bought a 4runner for my winter beater a few years ago and it's been great! Looking forward to you updates.

31779204097_890b80100a_b.jpg

Sponsored

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Woot! Sweet ride!
Another 4Runner owner here. '07 V8 with just over 80k on it. I went with Bilstein 5100s, OME 885s, and Sway-Away rears for lift (2.5" FR, 1.5" rear). Got some like-new '12 Trail wheels with Cooper AT3 265/70/17 when I put the lift on it, though I think I'm going to do 275 next time to fill up the wheel well a bit more.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Over the winter I built a rack and loaded up a RTT and other accessories to build my wife a overland off road truck.
20200213_172456.jpg
20200213_171101.jpg

OP
OP
TheSnowmanMafia

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Been a while since I've updated this.

I've got a rear tire carrier, front bumper, ditch lights, sliders, higher rear springs, GX460 front brakes, and a cut rear bumper now lol.

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Damn you've been busy since purchasing it!

I had an LX450 that I lifted on 35's and always enjoyed the WTF looks from the lifted Lexus.

OP
OP
TheSnowmanMafia

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Damn you've been busy since purchasing it!

I had an LX450 that I lifted on 35's and always enjoyed the WTF looks from the lifted Lexus.
Yeah! It's been a fun project. I've done everything myself except the suspension install and the brake install.

Super pleased with how it's turned out, lots of fun on trails.

I'm with you, people double take when they see it has a Lexus badge hah
Sponsored