• Poll closed .

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Probably also hard to manage complex corners while shaving, applying makeup, and reading the newspaper. Spinning plates would also add another layer of skill. Perhaps take up oil painting in the straights, and watercolors in the turns?

My point was there are plenty of instances where it would be more advantageous to have both hands on, and shift at the wheel, not the center console.
I'm not truly denying that point though, I just think it's something that can be compensated for reasonably well. Much like a small pecker.

I'll retract my statement that you should *never* be shifting in a corner, since I haven't driven nearly enough tracks or vehicle combos and I'm sure there's plenty of situations. It's just that the long gearing of the manual Mustang lineup is very forgiving in that respect. Wide power band and MPH range for each gear that you can sit in.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I dunno, we can just agree to disagree on this one.
That's fine with my, alls I'm saying thogh is it doesn't seem to be that manual drivers are more in control on a road course type track than modern autos which has been mentioned several times in this thread and others.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But you forget that there is a mode completely dependent on the driver to switch gears, just like in a manual. If you put it in S and manual mode, you as the driver are in full control of what gear you are in. It upshifts and downshifts when you tell it to, not when someone else thinks you're supposed to.
There's still a few things about that, that aren't the same. There is still perceptible lag between commanding the shift and the shift actually happening, and as near as I can tell with current manual command mechanisms you're stuck with a sequential shift logic even though there are situations where you might reasonably choose to skip a gear.

IOW, the 10R80 still places limits on what it will let you do. You're still having to adapt to the way somebody else thinks you should be doing your driving.

Keep in mind that once in a while I do get to drive a car that has a transmission other than a 3-pedal conventional MT.

I've posted (more than once) that if I was competing near - but not quite at - the pointy end of my class and needed a few fractions of a second to put myself on the podium I'd do what it took, DSG or A10 included. But that's not where my track day driving is at, and there's nothing about my street driving that either a DSG or a 10R80 would improve. For me, anyway.

Do you think that Formula 1 or GT4 or IMSA drivers are in any less control of their cars because they are automatics? And yes I know the torque converter unit is different physically than a sequential or DCT, but in the end they are all automatic paddle controlled transmissions without a clutch or h pattern shifter.
Perhaps you could tell me whether those transmissions feature any automated gear selection capability like street DSGs do.

And I'll argue that keeping both hands on the wheel at all time during heavy track use is much more in control than having to constantly take my hand off to switch a gear. Going in on a heavy brake zone or hard turn where I'm fighting for traction and control the last thing I want to do is take my right hand off the steering wheel.
As many times as I've heard that, I'm somehow not seeing that as being as big of an issue as it's commonly made out to be. Certainly not at HPDE.

Norm

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As many times as I've heard that, I'm somehow not seeing that as being as big of an issue as it's commonly made out to be. Certainly not at HPDE.
Fair enough. Though I'm still trying to figure out how using an 10R80 in full manual mode on a roadcourse is any less being in control than with a manual. I'm not understanding the part you mention that you are at the mercy of someone else's shift logic when in full manual mode?

Similar to you, as many times as I've heard it, I'm not seeing any issues with lack of control from automatic driving guys at HPDEs.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
In the end you drive for fun and fun you shall have either way. It'll be different kinds of fun for different people. The rest is irrelevant, be glad you have a choice (people didn't have a choice with Bullitt or GT350 and neither have it with GT500).

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fair enough. Though I'm still trying to figure out how using an 10R80 in full manual mode on a roadcourse is any less being in control than with a manual.
With the middle gears of the 10R80 being spaced about 1.20 to 1 apart, you're likely to end up being quite a bit busier, and more likely to need a shift while tracking out.

I'm not understanding the part you mention that you are at the mercy of someone else's shift logic when in full manual mode?
As far as I know, "full manual mode" still insists on sequential gear changes. Once in a while on the track (and commonly on the street) there's reason to skip a gear.

Similar to you, as many times as I've heard it, I'm not seeing any issues with lack of control from automatic driving guys at HPDEs.
I would hope not, even if the automatic was having its shifts manually commanded from a +/- gate on a console-mounted shift lever. Though as a side note I wonder if the concern about momentarily having to take the right hand off of the steering wheel is really about making those "moments" needlessly long or from using drag strip shifting techniques.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm doesn't want any computers in between him and his gear changes. When you hit the paddles, the transmission is still deciding the exact right moment, and if the gear change is "allowed". He just can't abide any disconnect between his physical action and the result.
It really does come down to that. Things that I can keep up with in real time and don't need any help with . . . I don't even want to have any help with. Been like that since I was a pre-school kid.

Norm

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
For The Manual Man, there's only one choice. For everyone else, there's the Camry...
Bruce Campbell on a mountain of Camry's with a big manual stick. Lightning in the background and Manual Man in Highlander font and underneath "There can be only one"

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Shifting in the corners ? Holy haha.. no wonder you get ur arses kicked.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not truly denying that point though, I just think it's something that can be compensated for reasonably well. Much like a small pecker.
I thought you compensated for a small pecker by getting a manual transmission?