Did you order your Mach1 in manual or auto

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mustang_Scotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350, 2016 SRT GC
Honestly how can you not want a manual. I personally can’t see it. All the fun is in the gears IMO
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Because manual man* has nothing else to cling on now besides his ability to drive better on black ice with a manual.
Not being made subservient to the way somebody else thinks I'm supposed to select gears is worth far more than that. Bigger than that plus the "it's faster", the "it gets better mpg", and most anything else you can think of, all taken together.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about ATs being "better to be in control of at the track". Same goes for street driving as well.

Norm

Last edited:

Mustang_Scotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350, 2016 SRT GC
Go buy a Chevy Spark then. You can still get them in a manual. Lot cheaper too.
Hey don’t make fun of my Spark.

Honestly that comment absolutely makes no sense.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not being made subservient to the way somebody else thinks I'm supposed to select gears is worth far more than that.
We're going to have to agree to disagree about ATs being "better to be in control of at the track". Same goes for street driving as well.
But you forget that there is a mode completely dependent on the driver to switch gears, just like in a manual. If you put it in S and manual mode, you as the driver are in full control of what gear you are in. It upshifts and downshifts when you tell it to, not when someone else thinks you're supposed to.

Do you think that Formula 1 or GT4 or IMSA drivers are in any less control of their cars because they are automatics? And yes I know the torque converter unit is different physically than a sequential or DCT, but in the end they are all automatic paddle controlled transmissions without a clutch or h pattern shifter.

And I'll argue that keeping both hands on the wheel at all time during heavy track use is much more in control than having to constantly take my hand off to switch a gear. Going in on a heavy brake zone or hard turn where I'm fighting for traction and control the last thing I want to do is take my right hand off the steering wheel.

Last edited:

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
your #1 above is the reason I went manual. I hated the MT-82. This transmission is smooth. I haven't driven a manual in 5 years. I am in love with this transmission

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But you forget that there is a mode completely dependent on the driver to switch gears, just like in a manual. If you put it in S and manual mode, you as the driver are in full control of what gear you are in. It upshifts and downshifts when you tell it to, not when someone else thinks you're supposed to.

Do you think that Formula 1 or GT4 or IMSA drivers are in any less control of their cars because they are automatics? And yes I know the torque converter unit is different physically than a sequential or DCT, but in the end they are all automatic paddle controlled transmissions without a clutch or h pattern shifter.

And I'll argue that keeping both hands on the wheel at all time during heavy track use is much more in control than having to constantly take my hand off to switch a gear. Going in on a heavy brake zone or hard turn where I'm fighting for traction and control the last thing I want to do is take my right hand off the steering wheel.
Nah bro, you have to run it in automagic mode. That's the rules. That way it can have a disadvantage.

Although I don't really agree with your last point. I can easily shift when I need to without ever having lesser control. If you're shifting during a corner you're doing it wrong to begin with.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I can easily shift when I need to without ever having lesser control.
If you're always in control (especially with just 1 hand on the wheel), you're not going fast enough.

Although I don't really agree with your last point. I can easily shift when I need to without ever having lesser control. If you're shifting during a corner you're doing it wrong to begin with.
So what would you do? Shortshift into the higher gear before the turn or cruise through the turn (instead of accelerating and shifting into the next gear) so that you don't hit the rev limiter? There are many instances where I come up to needing to shift into a higher gear on a turn if I want to keep pace, especially long sweeping ones.

If you're downshifting alot and keeping the engine near it's peak power, you inevitably have to shift up lot and that can be during a turn.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
When I play Forza I'm always in automatic transmission mode. Might be my age showing or I still need to get gud.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you're always in control (especially with just 1 hand on the wheel), you're not going fast enough.

So what would you do? Shortshift into the higher gear before the turn or cruise through the turn (instead of accelerating and shifting into the next gear) so that you don't hit the rev limiter? There are many instances where I come up to needing to shift into a higher gear on a turn if I want to keep pace, especially long sweeping ones.

If you're downshifting alot and keeping the engine near it's peak power, you inevitably have to shift up lot and that can be during a turn.
My point is that your line should already be setup before the corner. Shifting shouldn't hinder you in any way because you shouldn't be having to adjust your steering input that much by that point. Thus having to use one arm should give you plenty of adjustment for the 1 second it takes to shift.

I dunno, we can just agree to disagree on this one. In the old days you had to be able to shift while doing everything else, and people still managed to be fast. The A10 also has shorter gears (and more of them obv) than the manual cars, creating more frequent shifting.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Unless I'm using a wheel, I find shifting awkward on a standard controller. I'm also usually a M&K man which could be why. With a wheel, I use whatever shifting method the car would have in real life (h-gate vs paddles).
M&K?

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Mouse and keyboard. I only use controllers for racing/flying.
Ahh yes same. Although the current setup lends itself easier to controller so been doing some FPS games with controller as well. I'm too terrible at FPS games to notice the M&K being any better lol.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I have the 6spd on my 2019 PP2 and wouldn't trade it. Love the fun of a manual.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Decreasing. Radius . Turn.
I feel like we're slowly arriving at the reality that it takes more skill to man handle a manual car through complex corners? :cwl: I'm not going to sit here and claim to be an F1 driver in disguise, but I feel like it's something you can work around with better understanding of the car, a good line, good slip angle when you can get it, and practice. Auto is obviously nice in that regard though, because you can spend 100% of the time pointing the car instead of managing the drivetrain.
Sponsored