Will a tune fix my issue

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zach
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
So I've been getting used to my car over these last few weeks since I got it. And I've noticed the A10 is kinda lazy when you go from Cruising to wot it takes a couple seconds or so to get going. Now once it knows you want to play it's quite responsive but that initial delay I find kina annoying. Will a tune fix this? Or is this just part of driving an auto? I've driven primarily manual transmissions most of my life and I'm used to as soon as you hit the gas your going. this auto thing is new to me so your advice is grately appreciated thanks .
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
If you want throttle response just pull your shifter to S for "Sport". Problem solved.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
A tune will make your transmission more responsive and kick into gear (no pun intended) faster, but what you're describing is normal for normal drive setting.

Slap it into Sport as lacanteen mentioned and it will be a bit more aggressive and responsive to inputs. If you have the right package, you can also go into Sport+ or Track for even more.

OP
OP

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zach
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
If you want throttle response just pull your shifter to S for "Sport". Problem solved.
I usually drive in sport + with the shifter in s there is still a lag I can stomp the gas and let off real quick and it would hardly do anything for the first couple seconds then it go's. It kinda reminds me of my buddy's moms car when we would take it out for a spin. it was a 2000 ford Taurus and we thought it was funny that we could stomp the Gas all day and it would go no were. On a car like that it's probably expected to act like that. But on a 460hp mustang that should not be the case.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Couple of seconds or so? Something is wrong with your clock or your car...

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't have modes then a tune is your only option. If you have modes then it should downshift quicker in the more aggressive modes. Actually just a tap of the accelerator downshifts mine instantly in sport mode. But when people roll race they downshift manually for a reason. Nothing is ever going to be as fast as already being in the gear you need.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Think of it this way. When you're driving a manual and you decide you want to hammer it, your brain has already made the decision, so you downshift and go.

In the auto, the car has to wait for you to tell it you decided to go, and then go through its process of allowing you to do so, meaning your input on the pedal tells the ECU you want to go, and then it has to tell the transmission you need a lower gear to do so. Then there's the time it takes to shift.

So basically, the delay is what was your thought/decision time was in the manual.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I've driven primarily manual transmissions most of my life and I'm used to as soon as you hit the gas your going......
You had one of them magic manual transmissions, that didn't need a down shift by you?

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Think of it this way. When you're driving a manual and you decide you want to hammer it, your brain has already made the decision, so you downshift and go.

In the auto, the car has to wait for you to tell it you decided to go, and then go through its process of allowing you to do so, meaning your input on the pedal tells the ECU you want to go, and then it has to tell the transmission you need a lower gear to do so. Then there's the time it takes to shift.

So basically, the delay is what was your thought/decision time was in the manual.
Eh, the auto is just different...easier, faster too. You can tell the auto trans what gear to be in just like a manual.

So, instead of depressing the clutch, dropping a gear, and then releasing the clutch I just blip the throttle with my foot and the trans downshifts. I can also hit the - paddle and almost instantly downshift and I don't have to care about RPM either.

Racing from a roll is no different really. Neither is driving in traffic. The tool is just a bit different.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Or - do what you do in a manual: tell it to downshift some (with the paddle) _before_ you stomp on it. Then you will get an instant response…

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
are your paddles broken? If you want to zoom, click down to 5 or 6 before mashing the pedal.

If you check the FP aftermarket catalog there should be an OBD dongle with attached neural net. Hook up the 12 or so wires to your scalp and now all you'll need is think "I wanna go fast" and before your foot has even moved the trans will shift to 5th and be waiting on your further inputs.

OP
OP

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zach
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I guess this is how an auto is then. I think I'll be going back to a manual in my next car. I prefer to go straight to the gear I want.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I guess this is how an auto is then. I think I'll be going back to a manual in my next car. I prefer to go straight to the gear I want.
Or it might be that you learn more about the A10, start using the paddles (start shifting it yourself), and you enjoy it. It's faster than a manual that way, with 10 gears instead of 6, and no clutching to do.

I'm a manual guy myself, and fully support your next car being a manual, but I think your expectations for the A10 auto are the problem, not the trans.
Sponsored