Wife’s 2018 GT 10R80 went Kaboom!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
However, I can’t get my wife to trust this car again.
from your codes this was a mechanical failure of the worst case. Truthfully it can happen with any transmission. My guess is it happened with a shift. If she is on the freeway there is no reason for a shift unless she floors it.

I get the brown pantie syndrome but I have had a tire blow out at 80 and that was no fun. I still drive cars with air inflated tires.

I would give her some time, get the car fixed and explain this was a fluke.

One car I am impressed with is the Audi SQ5 with the supercharged V6. It is a SUV but has plenty of power and handles real well.

Oh yea, has the ZF8 which is probably the best auto trans ever made.

Good luck
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
We bought this car in 2021 from Vroom with 12k miles. It’s the first time I’ve ever gotten and extended warranty. Even though Vroom stopped selling and buying cars their third party company, Safeguard, has said they will honor the 4 year warranty. I have to pay $100 deductible. I may come out good on all of this. However, I can’t get my wife to trust this car again. I really need to know what the worst case scenario is if the transmission fails at a higher driving speed and will the car lock itself up and lose control. She survived a low speed lock up but she almost got hit from behind. It accelerated on its own after not going at all with the pedal pushed. I can see much worse outcomes if this happened again.

I don’t know what other car would be comparable to what she liked about hers.
Are they going to fix/rebuild the trans or replace it? If it’s a full replacement (which is what I’d push for), I wouldn’t worry too much. Like Dan said, kind of a freak thing that can happen to any trans at any time.

By all accounts (I’ve only had mine for 18 months), the 10R80 itself is a fine trans. It’s the Ford vs GM programming where most have complaints. But what happened to your wife could happen to anyone no matter who programmed it. Sometimes mechanical stuff just breaks. I’m sure it was a scary moment for her but the likelihood of it happening twice is pretty low.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
from your codes this was a mechanical failure of the worst case. Truthfully it can happen with any transmission. My guess is it happened with a shift. If she is on the freeway there is no reason for a shift unless she floors it.

I get the brown pantie syndrome but I have had a tire blow out at 80 and that was no fun. I still drive cars with air inflated tires.

I would give her some time, get the car fixed and explain this was a fluke.

One car I am impressed with is the Audi SQ5 with the supercharged V6. It is a SUV but has plenty of power and handles real well.

Oh yea, has the ZF8 which is probably the best auto trans ever made.

Good luck
I agree very much with this post.
I absolutely love the tire analogy, it's perfect.
In the late '70s I had a lower ball joint shear off on a 2 y/o car at 70mph on the interstate and lock up the front tire against the wheel well. The car spun a full circle and and a half and stopped facing against traffic. So scary and dangerous stuff can and does happen anytime. I kept that car several more years without further failures.
Being untrustful of a car after an incident like this is understandable but, hopefully, she will come to realize that similar dangerous failures can happen to any vehicle at any time. The whole "any given Sunday" thing, you know.
In any case, I'm glad she's fine otherwise and good luck.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Thanks for all the responses and analogies. I’ll show this to her. I agree anything can fail at any time, whether a blowout, transmission or an ignition switch on a 1990 Accord that went bad while car was on interstate. All power shut off and car died and steering locked. Only happened once in my lifetime so far. I hope she will reconsider because we have had a blast in our Mustangs for the last 3 years. And it goes without saying that her auto beats my Lund tuned E85, headers and light weight rims and rotors. Her stock auto is a beast.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It was a rear tire that blew on me, I felt like Richard Petty in one of his Daytona wrecks, spin city.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Went by Ford dealer today and talked to service manager. He said they would probably put in a new transmission. The CDF hub has been on back order for almost a year. He said they get this repair to the 10R80 all of the time. He has an F150 3.5 ecoboost and he’s replaced two already. But, he does drag race it. He said he’s the 7th fastest 3.5 ecoboost in the nation. The fact that the CDF can’t be gotten tells me a lot about how sorry this transmission must be. I asked if the new transmission would come with upgraded CDF and he said yes. He also said GM is in the same boat. I won’t be buying any automatic 10r80 in the S650 until it has been proven. Maybe I can check the CDF part numbers for gen3 and gen4 to see if they are different.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Went by Ford dealer today and talked to service manager. He said they would probably put in a new transmission. The CDF hub has been on back order for almost a year. He said they get this repair to the 10R80 all of the time. He has an F150 3.5 ecoboost and he’s replaced two already. But, he does drag race it. He said he’s the 7th fastest 3.5 ecoboost in the nation. The fact that the CDF can’t be gotten tells me a lot about how sorry this transmission must be. I asked if the new transmission would come with upgraded CDF and he said yes. He also said GM is in the same boat. I won’t be buying any automatic 10r80 in the S650 until it has been proven. Maybe I can check the CDF part numbers for gen3 and gen4 to see if they are different.
Did they fix the CDF drum issue for the 22 and up 10R80s? I could be wrong but I thought I noticed the TSB for the CDF drum issue only pertained to 18-21.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Well, well. I was unaware of the CDF drum issue with these until Googling. I wonder if mine in my F150 ('19) is partially suspect for the odd shifting since new. Wonderful.

I'm starting to see a new Tacoma in my future....

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I tried my best to find part numbers on the 10R80 from Tasca parts online and several other Ford OEM sites. They don’t break down internal parts with part numbers or prices. So……..

I called my Ford dealer and talked to the parts guy. He says the CDF was upgraded in Apr 2023. So I assume the S650 10R80 should be safe from at least this problem.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for all the responses and analogies. I’ll show this to her. I agree anything can fail at any time, whether a blowout, transmission or an ignition switch on a 1990 Accord that went bad while car was on interstate. All power shut off and car died and steering locked. Only happened once in my lifetime so far. I hope she will reconsider because we have had a blast in our Mustangs for the last 3 years. And it goes without saying that her auto beats my Lund tuned E85, headers and light weight rims and rotors. Her stock auto is a beast.
I understand how your wife feels, I had a '14 Maxima with the CVT that went out at me at 80k miles. It did not cause me to lock up but I never trusted the car after replacing the transmission and shortly after fixing traded it for my mustang.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well, well. I was unaware of the CDF drum issue with these until Googling. I wonder if mine in my F150 ('19) is partially suspect for the odd shifting since new. Wonderful.

I'm starting to see a new Tacoma in my future....
Yep, usually it starts with a weird 3-4 and then slowly gets worse from there.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Just get the transmission repaired and give her some time.

If you drive long enough in your life only one of two things are going to happen from time to time: either brown pants (if you are lucky and drive defensively enough!) or an accident (in which you may be injured or die).

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I really hate what Ford did to this transmission because it gave people the completely unfair view of the trans. The 10R80 is an incredible transmission and a real game changer for automatic transmissions.

However... Whatever ford did to them is beyond me. Non-Ford vehicles using them are nearly flawless.

I've had problems with them in my truck and my mustang BUT when they are running right they are amazing and fast.

I wish people would stop calling them garbage transmissions when the real problem lies on whatever idiot signed off on the tuning for them. Even if it was a mechanical failure, 99% chance it was because of their tuning fucking it up

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
From day one, that A10 was a funky shifter for me. Had it at the dealership once or twice, they cleared the memory and did an update on the TCM. I still think it was a fluff job, as nothing changed. However, everything changed when I got a Lund tune. It took couple of revisions, but I'm happy as a clam now.
Sponsored