Wife’s 2018 GT 10R80 went Kaboom!

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
My wife’s 18 GT vert with 49k miles and well maintained just lost the transmission. Luckily, she was driving only 35 when the rear tires locked and then she applied gas and it did nothing. So she applied more. Then the car shot off, tires spinning, as it tried to do a donut. She calmed herself and put the car in neutral and waited while it idled. She got it to a parking lot while it sputtered and limped forward while locking up the rear wheels.

I came and checked the codes since there was a wrench on the dash. Codes P0757, Shift solenoid B stuck on and P2701, Transmission friction element “B” Apply time range/performance.

I carefully took it a mile down the road and left it at the closed Ford dealership. Will see them tomorrow.

My wife is beyond rattled. She was almost hit from behind and from the side. The car absolutely downshifted or locked up the transmission when it acted up. She lost all control. She loves her car but has said she will never drive it again. What if she was on the interstate or at TOD with me? What’s to keep any new or repaired 10R80 from doing this at any speed.

Highly disappointed right now.
Sponsored

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
lol. She does know how to drive the manual. I’ve got a manual 19 GT vert and she drives it too.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Glad she is okay. You just gave her your car. Congrats.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My wife’s 18 GT vert with 49k miles and well maintained just lost the transmission. Luckily, she was driving only 35 when the rear tires locked and then she applied gas and it did nothing. So she applied more. Then the car shot off, tires spinning, as it tried to do a donut. She calmed herself and put the car in neutral and waited while it idled. She got it to a parking lot while it sputtered and limped forward while locking up the rear wheels.

I came and checked the codes since there was a wrench on the dash. Codes P0757, Shift solenoid B stuck on and P2701, Transmission friction element “B” Apply time range/performance.

I carefully took it a mile down the road and left it at the closed Ford dealership. Will see them tomorrow.

My wife is beyond rattled. She was almost hit from behind and from the side. The car absolutely downshifted or locked up the transmission when it acted up. She lost all control. She loves her car but has said she will never drive it again. What if she was on the interstate or at TOD with me? What’s to keep any new or repaired 10R80 from doing this at any speed.

That’s dangerous….to say the least.

Go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint giving all the details there…. This is the only way a recall will ever be initiated on the 10R80 is if enough consumer complaints are filed with NHTSA..

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium

If something had happened to your wife would you have sued ford? If the answer is yes, do something about it. You can also look into whether there are existing class action lawsuits on the 10r80 and join that. Personally, I don't own a 10R80 car and will never own a car with one for reliability reasons. I can't even bring myself to buy anything new Ford is putting out. I came really close to buying a GT350 but pulled out at the last minute after reading about oil consumption issues. Anyway, sorry that happened to your wife, I experienced loss of power once on a Honda due to either spark plug issues and it was friggin scary with a semi trailing me. It happened to me on a highway so I know that feeling.

Last edited:

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Wow, just normal driving and this happened. I'm putting 800hp through mine, no issues so far but if it does go RSA is 20 minutes away.

Ford recalled 1000 units that failed like yours. You may want to research this and see if you can be included.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Camaro. Or blackwing. Just saying...

Their a10 programming will make you cry you bought the ford version.

or just teach her how to drive stick and no more problems for rest of her days.
This.

I forget sometimes how much I hate the A10 in my F150, and then I drive my new Jeep with the ZF 8-speed for a refresher on how a modern automatic should work....

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Sounds like a solenoid went out and couldn’t release a clutch. Probably not that big of a deal. I’d just slap a tune on it and not worry about it after it’s fixed. I’ve heard wengerd really has the ford 10 speed figured out. In terms of factory programming, my buddies 10 speed Camaro has some real funky shifting so it’s not just ford.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Camaro. Or blackwing. Just saying...

Their a10 programming will make you cry you bought the ford version.

or just teach her how to drive stick and no more problems for rest of her days.
I rented a Camaro SS with the 10 speed when I was in ATL for work last week. It had been a while since I had driven one. Yeah, GM got the programming right on the 10 speed for sure. My Mustang’s 10R80 isn’t terrible but the differences are noticeable. Too bad GM didn’t get much else right with the Camaro.

OP
OP

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
We bought this car in 2021 from Vroom with 12k miles. It’s the first time I’ve ever gotten and extended warranty. Even though Vroom stopped selling and buying cars their third party company, Safeguard, has said they will honor the 4 year warranty. I have to pay $100 deductible. I may come out good on all of this. However, I can’t get my wife to trust this car again. I really need to know what the worst case scenario is if the transmission fails at a higher driving speed and will the car lock itself up and lose control. She survived a low speed lock up but she almost got hit from behind. It accelerated on its own after not going at all with the pedal pushed. I can see much worse outcomes if this happened again.

I don’t know what other car would be comparable to what she liked about hers.
Sponsored