Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Never thought about that, which would really suck. The salesman that went on the test drive with me didn’t say a thing when I hit almost 100mph.
Maybe tell them you’d have to replicate it yourself and you prefer to take the tech for a spin with you driving? You also don’t like others driving your car? Hopefully you figure it out before you have to wait 20 more days.
I don't even let my wife drive my car... I can def try to see if tech will let me drive him/her. This weekend ill see if i can get a scanner to check past codes.
I was driving it tonight, in the rain so not real fast but on acceleration all i hear now is a rattle, it sounds like it comes from under car but its prob the center console radio area or at the drivers kick panel area. Ill see if maybe i heard this and just let off? Gotta wait for dry roads though.
Thanks for everyone's responses, its great to be among so many that just love Mustangs. I didnt think to record it... ugh.
Sponsored

mikgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT California Special
I don't even let my wife drive my car... I can def try to see if tech will let me drive him/her. This weekend ill see if i can get a scanner to check past codes.
I was driving it tonight, in the rain so not real fast but on acceleration all i hear now is a rattle, it sounds like it comes from under car but its prob the center console radio area or at the drivers kick panel area. Ill see if maybe i heard this and just let off? Gotta wait for dry roads though.
Thanks for everyone's responses, its great to be among so many that just love Mustangs. I didnt think to record it... ugh.
I'm starting to wonder if you have a catalyitic converter melted down and is blocking exhaust. I had this happen on a high mile car, idled and drive perfect, until it hit a certain rpm under load. The converter had a rattle sound to it as well.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm starting to wonder if you have a catalyitic converter melted down and is blocking exhaust. I had this happen on a high mile car, idled and drive perfect, until it hit a certain rpm under load. The converter had a rattle sound to it as well.
with only 12k miles? Can that happen? As far as i know its all stock. None on the bolts on engine are touched.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT

A mysterious rattle, a lot of us have one. I've been with service managers in new Mustangs that have them. These are not quiet cars.

Some kind of code scanner is not a bad idea. You'll use it again and again. You should have no codes stored.

But let me ask you, is it at a particular RPM or at a certain MPH where it falls off?

You can also try revving in neutral. Reaching 80MPH in different gears, etc. You really need to be systematic.

Have as much information as you can going in to the dealer (or talking to us).

The melted-cat hypothesis is for sure a warranty claim, unless the car was modded.

See if the dealer detects a tune you might get an eye-opening bill. A failed cat could be from running rich or lean, which can easily be blamed on a too-aggressive tune. You can't "see" a tune with your eyes, but the dealer can. And a bad tune can certainly cause trouble in 12k miles!

Can you contact the original owner and ask them if any mods were done? Maybe they were and the car was put back to stock, only with some hidden damage.

That's a worst case, hopefully they get you sorted under warranty!

Good luck.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
A mysterious rattle, a lot of us have one. I've been with service managers in new Mustangs that have them. These are not quiet cars.

Some kind of code scanner is not a bad idea. You'll use it again and again. You should have no codes stored.

But let me ask you, is it at a particular RPM or at a certain MPH where it falls off?

You can also try revving in neutral. Reaching 80MPH in different gears, etc. You really need to be systematic.

Have as much information as you can going in to the dealer (or talking to us).

The melted-cat hypothesis is for sure a warranty claim, unless the car was modded.

See if the dealer detects a tune you might get an eye-opening bill. A failed cat could be from running rich or lean, which can easily be blamed on a too-aggressive tune. You can't "see" a tune with your eyes, but the dealer can. And a bad tune can certainly cause trouble in 12k miles!

Can you contact the original owner and ask them if any mods were done? Maybe they were and the car was put back to stock, only with some hidden damage.

That's a worst case, hopefully they get you sorted under warranty!

Good luck.
I know about the rattles.. Ive already fixed the rear pillar panels - rattles don't bother me. I can fix most on my own.
Def getting a scanner
Revving in neutral - ill try this and report. When driving it goes right to 8k and thats when i let off.
Car was not modded. Ill post an engine pic, but the bolts look to be never touched. Im looking to find the previous owner. He lives in same city so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

btcarmd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
1965 Gt Vert, 2005 GT, 2020 GT
I know about the rattles.. Ive already fixed the rear pillar panels - rattles don't bother me. I can fix most on my own.
Def getting a scanner
Revving in neutral - ill try this and report.
Car was not modded. Ill post an engine pic, but the bolts look to be never touched. Im looking to find the previous owner. He lives in same city so fingers crossed.
Is the shut down rpm or speed related? Does it rev quickly to 7k plus in lower gears.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I love the car - ive have 5 mustangs and this is def best one ive had. Ill get it figured out -
Is the shut down rpm or speed related? Does it rev quickly to 7k plus in lower gears.
It doesnt really shut down, if anything it heisitates and i let off. Ya, it goes through gears/rpms nice and smooth and gets it fast.

circatee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Circatee
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT Premium Fastback
Sounds like you bought the car used. Check Carfax, to see if anything 'odd' was previously listed. Also, I would be curious why the previous owner sold it.

intriguing...

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
"When driving it goes right to 8k thats when i let off."

Shouldn't the rev limiter kick in by 8k?

Edit: Sorry, it's the middle of the night, you probably meant 80 mph there.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious:

Have you pulled the coils or plugs to see condition?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you bought the car used. Check Carfax, to see if anything 'odd' was previously listed. Also, I would be curious why the previous owner sold it.

intriguing...
Was used. Nothing that would present current problem. Previous owner traded in for a truck.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
"When driving it goes right to 8k thats when i let off."

Shouldn't the rev limiter kick in by 8k?

Edit: Sorry, it's the middle of the night, you probably meant 80 mph there.
Ya - 80mph. It was in D and i wasn't using paddles.

OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just curious:

Have you pulled the coils or plugs to see condition?
To be honest no - I didnt want to touch anything and give any reason to break warranty...

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
What's the other car on here? Still beat you to the 60' with that R/T.
He’s a waaaaaay better driver than I ever will be - but I think his rear-engine 911 had something to do with that .587 to 2.019 time lol. It’s a 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S with some upgraded performance option.

I was a completely stock 2020 PP1 GT A10 on PS4S.
He was on R Comp r888r tires.
ED401422-4882-4F64-9EFB-FD63D7C218C0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
i made a cpl pulls(slow, kid was w/me) 1st is the rattle, 2ed is just a strong pull. I really think im just hearing interior rattle...
Normal acceleration -
Rattle -

I really think its just a rattle somewhere. Gonna take some interior apart this weekend. Ill also try to get a better extended pull.

Thanks for all those that read/responded. I love this car, i dont care what it takes to fix. Pretty sure i will be keeping forever and passing down.
Sponsored