Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Exactly my argument. I should have expanded on that. Makes zero sense based on COST. Iron should be cheaper and yes it is more durable. However it is not and Ford missed the mark.
It would be cheaper if you are looking at the bigger picture. An aluminum race prepped coyote starts at $3000, assuming you already have a block. It's north of $4500 without. If teams truly are going thru multiple blocks per year, then there absolutely is a case for buying an Iron block....that can be bored over several times without needing expensive sleeves.

And yes, while they typically are cheaper....these prices are based on low volume sales, recouping tooling costs and making a profit.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It would be cheaper if you are looking at the bigger picture. An aluminum race prepped coyote starts at $3000, assuming you already have a block. It's north of $4500 without. If teams truly are going thru multiple blocks per year, then there absolutely is a case for buying an Iron block....that can be bored over several times without needing expensive sleeves.

And I've never heard of this before and we all know that there are some cars out there that are pushing stupid numbers from a stock sleeved Coyote block. Maybe it's happening, maybe not. I'm not on the drag strip every weekend. But if you are banking on blowing up a piston and turning one of your bores into a disco ball then yes there's an argument there. But again, not sure who's killing multiple blocks a year.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This makes as much sense as the 2jz swap thread to me.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It wouldn't be difficult, just expensive. They would need a business case beyond throwing it in a Boss mustang.
Unfortunately true. And Ford is getting out of the sedan/coupe building business as fast as they can. I do see some difficulty with the height of this 7.3, and getting it to fit under any sane hood line. That's before considering the excessive amounts of lowering that people seem to insist on doing . . .

It would be glorious if they went this route. Can you imagine a 7.3L engine with the same weight as the coyote? The potential for that engine is huge.[/QUOTE]
I have to wonder what that potential really is. I guess if a 7.3L rumble is that important, or if you're a hardcore drag racer with a diehard "no replacement for displacement" outlook . . .

For a Mustang (or any car, for that matter) I'd much rather see a destroked version. I'm afraid I don't see much point in having an engine that makes more torque way down low than you can fully use before 3rd gear. Not in these days of 6 speed manual transmissions and 6/8/10 speed automatics. Back in the day when the 4M's and 3A's had first gear ratios in the two's (the 2A Powerglide 1st gear was in the ones!) and overdriven gears were rare, sure.

I think I'm less bothered by the pushrods than I am by the long stroke, which makes its character that of a truck engine regardless of valvetrain. Happiest doing low-rpm heavy work, not so much for high-revving fun.

Norm

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Unfortunately true. And Ford is getting out of the sedan/coupe building business as fast as they can. I do see some difficulty with the height of this 7.3, and getting it to fit under any sane hood line. That's before considering the excessive amounts of lowering that people seem to insist on doing . . .

I have to wonder what that potential really is. I guess if a 7.3L rumble is that important, or if you're a hardcore drag racer with a diehard "no replacement for displacement" outlook . . .

For a Mustang (or any car, for that matter) I'd much rather see a destroked version. I'm afraid I don't see much point in having an engine that makes more torque way down low than you can fully use before 3rd gear. Not in these days of 6 speed manual transmissions and 6/8/10 speed automatics. Back in the day when the 4M's and 3A's had first gear ratios in the two's (the 2A Powerglide 1st gear was in the ones!) and overdriven gears were rare, sure.

I think I'm less bothered by the pushrods than I am by the long stroke, which makes its character that of a truck engine regardless of valvetrain. Happiest doing low-rpm heavy work, not so much for high-revving fun.

Norm
Different strokes for different folks eh?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Different strokes for different folks eh?
Probably.

If I was a 'truck guy' instead of a 'corner-carving guy' I'd probably drool over the possibility of the F150 getting the 7.3 as an option. But as things stand I wouldn't pair this 7.3 with a Mustang any more than I'd want the Transit Connect van to be available with the Voodoo.

Norm

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Probably.

If I was a 'truck guy' instead of a 'corner-carving guy' I'd probably drool over the possibility of the F150 getting the 7.3 as an option. But as things stand I wouldn't pair this 7.3 with a Mustang any more than I'd want the Transit Connect van to be available with the Voodoo.

Norm
I see this as a perfect swap choice for a foxbody with loads of potential.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Probably.

Norm
That's why a 429 instead of a 445 makes perfect sense! Drop the stroke to 3.84 instead of 3.976 and it would make a 429. Dropping the stroke should allow it to rev higher. That coupled with a more aggressive cam, high rpm tuned intake, should make it much more of a performance motor than a truck motor.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
And it's going to snowball thanks to that Fox video as well as once more such swaps go down. Let alone once go-fast parts sprout up for this thing.

Brian Wolfe has seen a thing or two, and undoubtedly knows more than what he lets on in that vid.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
And it's going to snowball thanks to that Fox video as well as once more such swaps go down. Let alone once go-fast parts sprout up for this thing.

Brian Wolfe has seen a thing or two, and undoubtedly knows more than what he lets on in that vid.
That’s fine. So put this thread in a Fox body forum. This is a S550 forum. Unless you’re putting one of these monsters in your S550 forgetaboutit!!!
Sponsored