Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
What kind of question is that?
For anybody wanting instant results, a alloy Cleveland or Windsor is the ticket.
Plus a huge weight savings over the Coyote.

You do realize that the Coyote has a limited future?
A one time 7.3 offer from Ford would be awesome......
2.3 electric hybrid will soon be life.....FACT!
You just let us know when you have that 7.3 iron block in a Mustang sparky.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
OK, so you have the money to do the 7.3 swap and you have the Mustang V6. It will be a couple of years before this fantasy swap will be complete so I guess we can look forward to you keeping this fantasy swap engine thread going until 2022 correct?

Isn't there a fantasy engine build section this thread can be moved to? That way all the 7.3 swappers can hang out together and swap fantasies.

I’m not going to do it myself. That ain’t happening. Don’t have the time or patience. If the Coyote has already been EOLed on paper in the next couple of years any small shop who does this swap in the aftermarket could actually stay afloat doing this, especially after final production of the Coyote. The Godzilla will continue for many more years. It will probably happen.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You just can't meet future CAFE and EPA regulations with something like the Coyote (even harder with a 7.3L). There could be a 6cyl in the works, but I think a 4cyl ecoboost with 48V hybrid system will be more likely. Personally, I am fine with it, as long as the performance is there. I worry about potential weight gain.
I'm OK-ish with a turbo-4 in a sporty family sedan (we're on #2), though I would still prefer a NA sixxer of comparable power. For any "toy", which I can anticipate would see track time, NA only.

I wouldn't want the hybrid part in either case, as much for the added complexity and involvement with other systems (regenerative braking makes the brake system "hybrid" as well - no thanks) as for potential weight gain and effect on interior volume. Improved straight line acceleration does not make those downsides go away; at best it only masks them.

Norm

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm OK-ish with a turbo-4 in a sporty family sedan (we're on #2), though I would still prefer a NA sixxer of comparable power. For any "toy", which I can anticipate would see track time, NA only.

I wouldn't want the hybrid part in either case, as much for the added complexity and involvement with other systems (regenerative braking makes the brake system "hybrid" as well - no thanks) as for potential weight gain and effect on interior volume. Improved straight line acceleration does not make those downsides go away; at best it only masks them.

Norm
I don't think a performance hybrid should have regen braking. I wouldn't mind Ford taking some design queues from the Porsche 918. That hybrid has no problem on the track. We will have a few years for technology to progress before that is the only option. I will keep an open mind.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not going to do it myself. That ain’t happening. Don’t have the time or patience. If the Coyote has already been EOLed on paper in the next couple of years any small shop who does this swap in the aftermarket could actually stay afloat doing this, especially after final production of the Coyote. The Godzilla will continue for many more years. It will probably happen.
You realize that Godzilla is a Truck engine right?

This is not an off the shelf crate engine people are going to drop into the Mustang. It will require tens of thousands of dollars in engine, body, and other parts/labor and expertise to achieve the same results as a FI 5.0 for a fraction of the cost(in a straight line anyway) Not to mention the weight is going to destroy the handling of the Mustang?

It isn't going to be a swap that many people will even consider so I wouldn't bank on any engine shops who think they are staying afloat turning a Mustang into an F250.

In any event, you are not going to do the swap because you realize how stupid the swap would be. And what about Ford, what do they have to say about the swap?

Joel Beltramo, manager for V-8 gas engines at Ford:

"And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers. It's possible then, but good luck doing so without having to cut into the firewall. And even if you could wedge this motor into a Mustang, it wouldn't be very good, because of its heavy cast iron block and low-revving nature. Stick with the Coyote, kids."

So there is it, straight form Ford, Thread closed.....

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You realize that Godzilla is a Truck engine right?

This is not an off the shelf crate engine people are going to drop into the Mustang. It will require tens of thousands of dollars in engine, body, and other parts/labor and expertise to achieve the same results as a FI 5.0 for a fraction of the cost(in a straight line anyway) Not to mention the weight is going to destroy the handling of the Mustang?

It isn't going to be a swap that many people will even consider so I wouldn't bank on any engine shops who think they are staying afloat turning a Mustang into an F250.

In any event, you are not going to do the swap because you realize how stupid the swap would be. And what about Ford, what do they have to say about the swap?

Joel Beltramo, manager for V-8 gas engines at Ford:

"And if you're wondering if it'll fit in a Mustang, Beltramo told us it's actually shorter in height and narrower than a Coyote V-8, but quite a bit longer thanks to much increased bore centers. It's possible then, but good luck doing so without having to cut into the firewall. And even if you could wedge this motor into a Mustang, it wouldn't be very good, because of its heavy cast iron block and low-revving nature. Stick with the Coyote, kids."

So there is it, straight form Ford, Thread closed.....

That’s an old argument discussed long ago. It’s not a deal breaker. The biggest problem is the oil pan believe it or not.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No, that's an absurd notion, and to suggest it means in addition to everything else, the OP's business acumen is pretty questionable.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s an old argument discussed long ago. It’s not a deal breaker. The biggest problem is the oil pan believe it or not.
Its a relevant argument considering it's a truck engine made for truck duty and would need to be completely reworked for Mustang duty at a huge expense on top of all the other expenses. Not to mention that Ford is telling you the engine won't fit without cutting into the firewall, I guess that is a non issue for everyone as well right?

You seem to lack a fundamental understanding of what you are suggesting.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Its a relavant argument considering it's a truck engine made for truck duty and would need to be completely reworked for Mustang duty at a huge expense on top of all the other expenses.

You seem to lack a fundamental understanding of what you are suggesting.

I’m a trucker that wants a truck engine in my car “as is” with the mated A10 transmission and all. I would not bother with an F150, too close to the Super Duty. What has everyone’s panties in a knot is just the form factor that is all. But that is the spirit of hot rodding. Big engine in small car.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m a trucker that wants a truck engine in my car “as is” with the mated A10 transmission and all. I would not bother with an F150, too close to the Super Duty. What has everyone’s panties in a knot is just the form factor that is all. But that is the spirit of hot rodding. Big engine in small car.
OK, so we all need to read your bullshit because you want a truck engine in a car? How is this thread not locked?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Go to any Drag Strip and look for yourself.
Nobody wants a Coyote after the newness wears off.

Now step away from your keyboard this weekend and go look.
Reality can be painful.
Stop lying.
Sponsored