Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
OK, so we all need to read your bullshit because you want a truck engine in a car? How is this thread not locked?
Oh for heavens sake. That’s just me and my swap. There is interest in this idea. What, over 2200 replies and they are not all mine - that’s probably the reason why it isn’t locked. Ford won’t make it for a variety of reasons. So you have to use what you have and make compromises. And the window for this kind of thing is closing up fast with IC engines being practically banned in some countries in the future.

You can’t say that all these guys here driving GTs are cool going I4 in the future are you?

I do believe bootlegger is correct in that the Coyote is on the way out quick. What is happening at the Essex plant right now never reverses itself.

What is the solution going forward for the next performance car for most here? It will be electric or electric aided - or - aftermarket and old school. And the aftermarket and old school for the Mustang will probably be aftermarket and have an altered version of the Godzilla in it.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Looks like a S550 based Mustang won the last Trans Am Series race.
358cid pushrod motor making 850+N/A hp.

Like I've stated before, there are more S550 Mustangs racing with Pushrod motors than not.
I don't think a full on race car really qualifies as a S550

You are wrong, wrong, wrong...

“All that matters is power and performance.”

That is where you are wrong right there! We are talking about a consumer product. It doesn’t matter if Erik427 has an S550 (he doesn’t) and it doesn’t matter that he probably never raced a car.

He is a potential customer!

If we were in a racing series it could be different. Then you do whatever you must to win. But my limited experience with friends in the old Honda Michelin Series was that they all used the same cars so even there your options are limited. Here is an idea - it wasn’t an engineer that won the race, it was driver skill.

I like the 7.3 because it looks like a proper engine to me. How do you respond to that with your 4 pot engine.

I like V8s because they sound like V8s. How do you respond to that. When I was creaming my pants over Tesla’s this was the argument - the exhaust note!

I like the fact that my car has a big block V8 - what are you going to do about that? I don’t care about the horsepower and I don’t race the thing on a track. I just want a big block because having a big block in my car is soooooo cool! What say you about this?

You won’t get me to buy your 4 pot wonder because you aren’t pushing my buttons. There is an army of guys out there that lived by that mantra of no replacement for cubic inches, and what they say goes. If Ford won’t give me a big block Stang then the aftermarket will because that is what I want! CEOs that think they can tell the consumer what they want are skating on thin ice.

As for the arguments. A guy like engineermike gets frustrated with a guy like me because he knows he will win the argument if I stay in his realm, playing by his rules that engineers live by. The fact that I don’t drives him nuts and he thinks that makes me a troll. But I’m not a troll, I’m a consumer who is not getting what he wants from Ford and so has to look at a swap. I don’t care about facts and figures as much as getting a big block in my car and feeling that old school sensation of a big old fashioned motor in a big old fashioned car. It matters to me that I have a big block in the car with shitty gas mileage and an exhaust that sounds like a school bus! I don’t care about performance on the track. I do care about hearing the loud V8 roar and the squealing of rear tires laying down a “mean patch”. I want the romance of a past I lived back in the day. Your wiz bang four pot won’t do that.

The way you guys set up things in this thread, berating and ridiculing anyone who thinks like me makes it seem I am the only one who thinks this way. But I’m not, and this dirty little underhanded ploy of trying to convert old school performance enthusiasts to a car they never dreamed of wanting won’t work on us!

You guys just don’t get it...
No I get it, you want a big block and big block feel. What I think you are choosing to ignore is that this engine will not drive like an old school big block. It is going to drive like a modern V8 engine. Especially mated to a extremely modern A10 transmission.

There are many people who are going to spend 20-30k to convert their Mustang into an F250 instead of going the FI route and preserving the integrity of the Mustang?

What a load of horse shit.

Someone may do this conversion but it certainly will not be common practice. It will require lots of time, money, and expertise to get what?

The 7.3 is a truck engine, you know what the means right? How much money will be needed to rework the engine to get the desired results or will people use their new Mustang F250 for towing?

The engine may not even fit and require firewall and other modifications, you know what that means?

Does this new engine require a new transmission, add another few K.

Iron block adds weight to the front end, you know what that means? New suspension, cha-ching.

How much money have you put aside for this fantasy 7.3 swap?

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the F250 with the 7.3 and call it a day.

tenor (1).gif
This ^ Not to mention the electronic mess that will most likely screw with every other function in the car.

People swap LS motors into Stangs all the time.
This includes the S550.
Cheap reliable hp is the reason why.
Most swaps are a bolt in job.
7.3 swaps will be no different.

You can say that the 5.0 makes more hp/tq per liter.
But that's only when you compare peak hp/tq.
Power under the curve will always go to the 7.3, SBF or LS Chevy.
I have been on Mustang forums since 2003. I have seen LS swaps into fox body cars. I have seen maybe 2 LS swaps into a S197. I have seen one S550 and that guy is builiding it because he bought literally a rolling shell of an S550 and last I saw he still didn't have it running.

Where are all these fantasy LS swapped S197 and S550s?

Go to any Drag Strip and look for yourself.
Nobody wants a Coyote after the newness wears off.

Now step away from your keyboard this weekend and go look.
Reality can be painful.
I am pretty sure a whole hell of a lot of people racing NMRA would disagree with you.

I’m a trucker that wants a truck engine in my car “as is” with the mated A10 transmission and all. I would not bother with an F150, too close to the Super Duty. What has everyone’s panties in a knot is just the form factor that is all. But that is the spirit of hot rodding. Big engine in small car.
Big engine in a small car was hot rodding back in the day when small engines were extremely limited.

You really want that old school big block feel get a ford 460 motor and pair it up to a C4 transmission.

The 7.3 will not drive like a big block, it will drive like a modern V 8

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The 7.3 will not drive like a big block, it will drive like a modern V 8

I’m fine with that. I am almost 60 and remember traditional distributors and carborators with heat shroud and the flex hoses actuated by vacuum to make the car drivable in cold wet weather. I don’t want a 1970s car!

I’m cool with all that and can deal with it.

BTW: Erik427 I believe has owned every version of the Mustang or close to except for the S550 if I’m not mistaken. So he has some credibility here if only for that. I’m only on Mustang number 3...

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I’m fine with that. I am almost 60 and remember traditional distributors and carborators with heat shroud and the flex hoses actuated by vacuum to make the car drivable in cold wet weather. I don’t want a 1970s car!

I’m cool with all that and can deal with it.

BTW: Erik427 I believe has owned every version of the Mustang or close to except for the S550 if I’m not mistaken. So he has some credibility here if only for that. I’m only on Mustang number 3...
That is what I don't get about you. You say in one post you want the "feels" of a big block in your car. I tell you that I am concerned you won't get that feeling because of how modern the engine and especially the transmission is and you say that's ok.

What I am trying to say is I have a feeling this engine won't give you that grunt like you remember big blocks having. It will drive like any modern OHV V8 because that is what it is, in a modern car.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
A guy like engineermike gets frustrated with a guy like me because he knows he will win the argument if I stay in his realm, playing by his rules that engineers live by. The fact that I don’t drives him nuts and he thinks that makes me a troll.
They call those rules the laws of physics, and if you try not to live by them... you die.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
That is what I don't get about you. You say in one post you want the "feels" of a big block in your car. I tell you that I am concerned you won't get that feeling because of how modern the engine and especially the transmission is and you say that's ok.

What I am trying to say is I have a feeling this engine won't give you that grunt like you remember big blocks having. It will drive like any modern OHV V8 because that is what it is, in a modern car.
Fatguy was.going to buy a Z06 for 130k but settled.on the V6 Mustang, but he really wants an iron block truck engine in a car.

How do you not get Fatguy?

5BBWoGt.gif

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
They call those rules the laws of physics, and if you try not to live by them... you die.

They are just tools to manipulate things. They don’t tell us how to live. I know what you are saying but viewed from my perspective it is totally false and proven so (i.e. both are proven correct and valid from each perspective but totally opposite at the same time).

This is the coolest thing you have posted so far!

Congrats!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I do believe bootlegger is correct in that the Coyote is on the way out quick. What is happening at the Essex plant right now never reverses itself.
I didn't say it was happening tomorrow, only that electrification will be the future. Unless someone makes a major breakthrough with CI technology, a hybrid GT is probably going to come within the next 10-15 years.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I didn't say it was happening tomorrow, only that electrification will be the future. Unless someone makes a major breakthrough with CI technology, a hybrid GT is probably going to come within the next 10-15 years.

10-15 years! Really? Yikes...

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Fatguy was.going to buy a Z06 for 130k but settled.on the V6 Mustang, but he really wants an iron block truck engine in a car.

How do you not get Fatguy?

5BBWoGt.gif

I bought the V6 in June 2017 and considered the Z06 in February of 2018 when I thought I might have cancer. Benign, so I reverted to my cheapskate self but after the purchase of the V6 I came here and got interested in cars again...

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yup, it’s all bad at my end! :like:
Look, you may be rolling in the dough (and hopefully "wealthy" in other capacities) ... but let's be real, there's very likely no viable business model for installing 7.3 V8s into Mustang GTs. Plus, you certainly you can't even get a rough outline on that business without:

- general cost basis
- cost for parts
- cost for customization / possible custom fab outsourcing
- initial startup requirements
- TTC per install
- consideration of warranty / support
- and mostly importantly, having a legitimate market

Anyway ...

I bought the V6 in June 2017 and considered the Z06 in February of 2018 when I thought I might have cancer. Benign, so I reverted to my cheapskate self but after the purchase of the V6 I came here and got interested in cars again...
Well, all other things aside, I'm glad you don't have that incredibly shitty disease :)

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
So you're a cheapskate who is suggesting spending tens of thousands of dollars on a truck engine swap(that won't fit by the way) into a Mustang because you are a trucker who is interested in cars again?

Who can argue with that logic....
-3rvhd.gif

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yep...it's like that. Provable science & truth doesn't matter to some people. Belief is for those who just want a convenient explanation for things they don't understand.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Yep...it's like that. Provable science & truth doesn't matter to some people. Belief is for those who just want a convenient explanation for things they don't understand.
hold on a second though... lets break this down:

"I know what you are saying but viewed from my perspective it is totally false and proven so (i.e. both are proven correct and valid from each perspective but totally opposite at the same time)."

viewed from my perspective it is totally false and proven so
So after he bumps into a wall he will still believe he can pass though the same wall.

i.e.
I'm not sure what we're looking at an example of other than misuse of the abbreviation for id est. (Actually, I'm bewildered by the whole existence of the parenthetical statement.)

both are proven correct and valid from each perspective but totally opposite at the same time
Both what? Opposite of what? Whose perspective? The Physical Laws of the Universe are not people. They are observations made about the limits and behaviors of the reality in which we exist.

I'm seriously worried about the stroke he's having.
Sponsored

Last edited: