bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Being able to compete cid vs cid and dollar for dollar with the competition sure would make me feel better.
Displacement means little in a modern engine. All that matters is power and performance. The Coyote equipped S550 easily competes against its pushrod competition. In a straight line, the S550 with A10 has a slight advantage. In the curves, the GM option has the advantage (due to chassis and tire differences, not the engine). Do you even own an S550? Have you ever set foot on a track?
Sponsored

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I hope your not talking the TA/TA2 class, because that is no more a mustang than my wife's minivan. Sure it has the body (which is fiber glass and carbon fiber bits) and badging but that's about it, tubular frame with just a shell is not considered an S550 it is a full bred race car made to resemble one.... you could literally put whatever engine you wish in that thing (within the rules of course)!!
Besides all that, the way you state things make it sound like they took a production car and transplanted this engine into it, not the case.
He has to be talking about the TA/TA2 cars, which have fully built racing engines based on the old 351W. They are not really Mustangs at all. Tube framed race cars that only share the looks of the car they were based off of. Also, TA2 are limited to 500hp, so it's not like they are using the engine because it makes big power. I believe you have to select from a short list of engines.
The GT class has to be close to stock and can't have an engine swap. Funny how the Coyote can perform in that class just fine.

Edit: TA class, unlike the other classed, is tech limited and can only have carburetors. Therefore, they only way to make the extra power is to utilize larger displacement engines.
13.5.3: Fuel System
13.5.3.1 Carburation
A modular 4 bbl. carburetor, having a maximum throttle bore (at the baseplate) of a one and eleven-sixteenths(1-11/16) inch, must be used. The carburetor may be modified.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Displacement means little in a modern engine. All that matters is power and performance. The Coyote equipped S550 easily competes against its pushrod competition. In a straight line, the S550 with A10 has a slight advantage. In the curves, the GM option has the advantage (due to chassis and tire differences, not the engine). Do you even own an S550? Have you ever set foot on a track?

You are wrong, wrong, wrong...

“All that matters is power and performance.”

That is where you are wrong right there! We are talking about a consumer product. It doesn’t matter if Erik427 has an S550 (he doesn’t) and it doesn’t matter that he probably never raced a car.

He is a potential customer!

If we were in a racing series it could be different. Then you do whatever you must to win. But my limited experience with friends in the old Honda Michelin Series was that they all used the same cars so even there your options are limited. Here is an idea - it wasn’t an engineer that won the race, it was driver skill.

I like the 7.3 because it looks like a proper engine to me. How do you respond to that with your 4 pot engine.

I like V8s because they sound like V8s. How do you respond to that. When I was creaming my pants over Tesla’s this was the argument - the exhaust note!

I like the fact that my car has a big block V8 - what are you going to do about that? I don’t care about the horsepower and I don’t race the thing on a track. I just want a big block because having a big block in my car is soooooo cool! What say you about this?

You won’t get me to buy your 4 pot wonder because you aren’t pushing my buttons. There is an army of guys out there that lived by that mantra of no replacement for cubic inches, and what they say goes. If Ford won’t give me a big block Stang then the aftermarket will because that is what I want! CEOs that think they can tell the consumer what they want are skating on thin ice.

As for the arguments. A guy like engineermike gets frustrated with a guy like me because he knows he will win the argument if I stay in his realm, playing by his rules that engineers live by. The fact that I don’t drives him nuts and he thinks that makes me a troll. But I’m not a troll, I’m a consumer who is not getting what he wants from Ford and so has to look at a swap. I don’t care about facts and figures as much as getting a big block in my car and feeling that old school sensation of a big old fashioned motor in a big old fashioned car. It matters to me that I have a big block in the car with shitty gas mileage and an exhaust that sounds like a school bus! I don’t care about performance on the track. I do care about hearing the loud V8 roar and the squealing of rear tires laying down a “mean patch”. I want the romance of a past I lived back in the day. Your wiz bang four pot won’t do that.

The way you guys set up things in this thread, berating and ridiculing anyone who thinks like me makes it seem I am the only one who thinks this way. But I’m not, and this dirty little underhanded ploy of trying to convert old school performance enthusiasts to a car they never dreamed of wanting won’t work on us!

You guys just don’t get it...

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Motor is not on the market......there are two companies building K members for the swap.
Several are looking to build intake manifolds.

This swap is going to happen and very often.

The Coyote is good for about 600hp before a blower is mandatory.
Once you do that, any weight advantage the Coyote had is out the window.
This also includes being reliable......too many glass bones in that engine.
There are many people who are going to spend 20-30k to convert their Mustang into an F250 instead of going the FI route and preserving the integrity of the Mustang?

What a load of horse shit.

Someone may do this conversion but it certainly will not be common practice. It will require lots of time, money, and expertise to get what?

The 7.3 is a truck engine, you know what the means right? How much money will be needed to rework the engine to get the desired results or will people use their new Mustang F250 for towing?

The engine may not even fit and require firewall and other modifications, you know what that means?

Does this new engine require a new transmission, add another few K.

Iron block adds weight to the front end, you know what that means? New suspension, cha-ching.

How much money have you put aside for this fantasy 7.3 swap?

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the F250 with the 7.3 and call it a day.

tenor (1).gif

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

That is where you are wrong right there! We are talking about a consumer product. It doesn’t matter if Erik427 has an S550 (he doesn’t) and it doesn’t matter that he probably never raced a car.

If we were in a racing series it could be different. Then you do whatever you must to win. But my limited experience with friends in the old Honda Michelin Series was that they all used the same cars so even there your options are limited. Here is an idea - it wasn’t an engineer that won the race, it was driver skill.

I like the 7.3 because it looks like a proper engine to me. How do you respond to that with your 4 pot engine.

I like V8s because they sound like V8s. How do you respond to that. When I was creaming my pants over Tesla’s this was the argument - the exhaust note!

I like the fact that my car has a big block V8 - what are you going to do about that? I don’t care about the horsepower and I don’t race the thing on a track. I just want a big block because having a big block in my car is soooooo cool! What say you about this?

You won’t get me to buy your 4 pot wonder because you aren’t pushing my buttons. There is an army of guys out there that lived by that mantra of no replacement for cubic inches, and what they say goes. If Ford won’t give me a big block Stang then the aftermarket will because that is what I want! CEOs that think they can tell the consumer what they want are skating on thin ice.

As for the arguments. A guy like engineermike gets frustrated with a guy like me because he knows he will win the argument if I stay in his realm, playing by his rules that engineers live by. The fact that I don’t drives him nuts and he thinks that makes me a troll. But I’m not a troll, I’m a consumer who is not getting what he wants from Ford and so has to look at a swap. I don’t care about facts and figures as much as getting a big block in my car and feeling that old school sensation of a big old fashioned motor in a big old fashioned car. It matters to me that I have a big block in the car with shitty gas mileage and an exhaust that sounds like a school bus! I don’t care about performance on the track. I do care about hearing the loud V8 roar and the squealing of rear tires laying down a “mean patch”. I want the romance of a past I lived back in the day. Your wiz bang four pot won’t do that.

The way you guys set up things in this thread, berating and ridiculing anyone who thinks like me makes it seem I am the only one who thinks this way. But I’m not, and this dirty little underhanded ploy of trying to convert old school performance enthusiasts to a car they never dreamed of wanting won’t work on us!

What people said over and over again is that it's not that one can't do this swap, it's that it's going to be very costly and difficult to do (and will require serious, permanent modifications to the body of your car). What people have railed against is the idea that the 7.3 will be a higher performance engine than the Coyote in a Mustang. It absolutely will not without putting another $10k+ into the engine (new block, heads, cam, manifold), and that's not counting the swap cost. You could easily fully build a blown Coyote for significantly less that will give you all the torque you'd ever want at the tap of the throttle.

If the 7.3 suits what you want, fine, go do it. Just stop trying to say that it'll be higher performance in any measure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
What people said over and over again is that it's not that one can't do this swap, it's that it's going to be very costly and difficult to do (and will require serious, permanent modifications to the body of your car). What people have railed against is the idea that the 7.3 will be a higher performance engine than the Coyote in a Mustang. It absolutely will not without putting another $10k+ into the engine (new block, heads, cam, manifold), and that's not counting the swap cost. You could easily fully build a blown Coyote for significantly less that will give you all the torque you'd ever want at the tap of the throttle.

If the 7.3 suits what you want, fine, go do it. Just stop trying to say that it'll be higher performance in any measure.

Read my post above. Where did I ever mention higher performance (that’s Erick427). I actually said I didn’t care about horsepower. You see only what you want to see. I don’t care about beating a Coyote off the line. Been very consistent but I have to worry about the horsepower and torque of the Coyote?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are many people who are going to spend 20-30k to convert their Mustang into an F250 instead of going the FI route and preserving the integrity of the Mustang?

What a load of horse shit.

Someone may do this conversion but it certainly will not be common practice. It will require lots of time, money, and expertise to get what?

The 7.3 is a truck engine, you know what the means right? How much money will be needed to rework the engine to get the desired results or will people use their new Mustang F250 for towing?

The engine may not even fit and require firewall and other modifications, you know what that means?

Does this new engine require a new transmission, add another few K.

Iron block adds weight to the front end, you know what that means? New suspension, cha-ching.

How much money have you put aside for this fantasy 7.3 swap?

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the F250 with the 7.3 and call it a day.

tenor (1).gif
Fatman,

How much money do you have put aside for the fantasy 7.3 swap? When can we expect to see the finished product exactly?

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Fatman,

How much money do you have put aside for the fantasy 7.3 swap? When can we expect to see the finished product exactly?

A little over a year ago I was willing to spend 128,000CAD on a Corvette Z06. I bought my V6 Mustang in like 10 minutes through fleet sales (without having driven any S550 Mustang before) because I needed a car. I’m that kind of guy...

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
People swap LS motors into Stangs all the time.
This includes the S550.
Cheap reliable hp is the reason why.
Most swaps are a bolt in job.
7.3 swaps will be no different.

You can say that the 5.0 makes more hp/tq per liter.
But that's only when you compare peak hp/tq.
Power under the curve will always go to the 7.3, SBF or LS Chevy.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

Nah, you don't get it. Almost no one buys based on cubic inches. They buy based on HP/TQ peak numbers, performance (0-60, 1/4mile, skidpad, braking feet), and fuel economy. We don't build cars for the 0.5% of consumers. That's what the aftermarket world is made for. It gives you the ability to mold the car to your personal needs. The fact is that the Coyote is a wonderful V8 engine with base performance beyond the needs of most drivers and the capability to push power to compete in many racing events. We get it, you want no top end and all low end. It was already explained that you can get that by way of a cheap gearing change. Buy a 5.0L, install new rear gears, and enjoy all the low end power you can handle along with a nice V8 sound. Stop droning on and on about some imaginary big block car that almost no consumer wants. It would have lower fuel economy and cost much more than the Coyote to offset the CAFE violations. That, or it would be a Ford Performance vehicle that would be more than a Shelby due to small production sizes.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
People swap LS motors into Stangs all the time.
This includes the S550.
Cheap reliable hp is the reason why.
Most swaps are a bolt in job.
7.3 swaps will be no different.

You can say that the 5.0 makes more hp/tq per liter.
But that's only when you compare peak hp/tq.
Power under the curve will always go to the 7.3, SBF or LS Chevy.
Prove that there are more LS swaps into Mustangs than Mustangs running the 5.0. Citations needed.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little over a year ago I was willing to spend 128,000CAD on a Corvette Z06. I bought my V6 Mustang in like 10 minutes through fleet sales (without having driven any S550 Mustang before) because I needed a car. I’m that kind of guy...
OK, so you have the money to do the 7.3 swap and you have the Mustang V6. It will be a couple of years before this fantasy swap will be complete so I guess we can look forward to you keeping this fantasy swap engine thread going until 2022 correct?

Isn't there a fantasy engine build section this thread can be moved to? That way all the 7.3 swappers can hang out together and swap fantasies.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Fatman,

What kind of question is that?
For anybody wanting instant results, a alloy Cleveland or Windsor is the ticket.
Plus a huge weight savings over the Coyote.

You do realize that the Coyote has a limited future?
A one time 7.3 offer from Ford would be awesome......
2.3 electric hybrid will soon be life.....FACT!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Prove that there are more LS swaps into Mustangs than Mustangs running the 5.0. Citations needed.
Go to any Drag Strip and look for yourself.
Nobody wants a Coyote after the newness wears off.

Now step away from your keyboard this weekend and go look.
Reality can be painful.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Go to any Drag Strip and look for yourself.
Nobody wants a Coyote after the newness wears off.

Now step away from your keyboard this weekend and go look.
Reality can be painful.
That's not proof. I have been to many drag strips. I haven't seen any swapped S550s. There are dozens of boosted Coyotes. Like your other claims, you can't back this one with data. We have a whole drag racing section of this forum and many seasoned racers. They all run Coyotes (and are down in the 8's).
Sponsored