Sponsored

Who has gone back to the factory resonator after installing an H or X pipe?

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I just bought my 2015 and it already had long tubes, H pipe and muffler deleted axle backs so its super loud and raspy. I'm looking to put Flowmaster 2/3 chamber mufflers on it to mellow it out some, but I notice no one uses Flowmasters anymore, these were the muffler of choice on all my Fox body cars and even my 03 Terminators, do they no sound good on the S550?
The fact very few are running them should tell you all you need to know. Sound is subjective for sure but flowmasters have dropped way off in popularity for a reason. Lots of better choices out there now including plenty that will mellow a raspy coyote but itā€™s not going to sound like a traditional push rod motor from the days of your youth no matter what exhaust you put on it.

Racin4ds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The fact very few are running them should tell you all you need to know. Sound is subjective for sure but flowmasters have dropped way off in popularity for a reason. Lots of better choices out there now including plenty that will mellow a raspy coyote but itā€™s not going to sound like a traditional push rod motor from the days of your youth no matter what exhaust you put on it.
Makes sense, I knew there had to be some reason. I'm not looking to make it sound like my pushrod cars at all, just wanted to tame it down some at minimal cost and work, now that I'm a tad older, the noise is annoying LOL

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I just bought my 2015 and it already had long tubes, H pipe and muffler deleted axle backs so its super loud and raspy. I'm looking to put Flowmaster 2/3 chamber mufflers on it to mellow it out some, but I notice no one uses Flowmasters anymore, these were the muffler of choice on all my Fox body cars and even my 03 Terminators, do they no sound good on the S550?
I also had flowmasters on my 03 cobra when I bought the car. I replaced them with borlas. That was 10 years ago. The same people that use flowmasters use Royal purple.

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
The facts are that Flowmasters are not all that everyone back in the day thought they were. Power wise there are better choices today. And, as stated, you are not going to make a Coyote sound like a two valve pushrod engine. Like I tell my buddy with a Chevy SS, that is ancient technology ya got there. ( itā€™s really a pretty damn nice car, if ya like four doors. But donā€™t none of ya tell him so. )

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
I ended up removing my res in the GT and moving to a Roush X pipe. Was skeptical about either option of an X or an H but I didn't want to pay the premium prices for an S-Type active-valve. So it is a good place for me to start. The cold starts are LOUD, but they sound badass as hell. I use quiet mode for the early mornings so no one complains.

I generally never leave Normal Mode for the exhaust, I think it sounds fantastic, and sport mode if I want a smidge louder. I find Track mode is stupid loud inside the cabin, so I'm unsure if that's more of the road noise or pumped in audio if that's even a thing.

Every now and then if I'm shifting through with the paddles, downshifting you'll hear some pops/crackles it sounds amazing when it happens. Affordable mod for the GT to start with for me. It's definitely louder then stock, but its not unbearable.

There was a day where I was driving excessively long trips with it, so it's nice to put it in quiet mode and not hear the exhaust at times, or having conversations.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
The only downside to having a deep bass exhaust is it sounds great outside the car but a mash of bass sound when your in it. The Xpipe definitely does make it higher pitched.

cortez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I removed my resonator and installed a Corsa cat-back (double H-pipe) with active exhaust. In normal mode, the Corsa exhaust seems quieter than the OEM exhaust. Once I'm out of the neighborhood, Sport mode is engaged and it sounds superb, without any drone. On the highway, exhaust is muted when I shift to 6th gear. I'm sticking with this setup.

Sponsored

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
I removed my resonator and installed a Corsa cat-back (double H-pipe) with active exhaust. In normal mode, the Corsa exhaust seems quieter than the OEM exhaust. Once I'm out of the neighborhood, Sport mode is engaged and it sounds superb, without any drone. On the highway, exhaust is muted when I shift to 6th gear. I'm sticking with this setup.
Sometimes I do wish the Mustangs had better sound deadening, I guess if we put something in the trunk that helps it dramatically even without drone. Road noise, I guess.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Sometimes I do wish the Mustangs had better sound deadening, I guess if we put something in the trunk that helps it dramatically even without drone. Road noise, I guess.
No, sound deadening in trunk does nothing. Maybe under the back seat?

I run a Solo Performance car back and itā€™s just fine.

Applied Carbon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Just read this thread and it's got me spooked, was gonna do an H pipe on my otherwise stock active exhaust but some people are acting like that's too loud for them. My car is in "quiet" mode 80 percent of the time which I love for my work commute and going in and out of my neighborhood at 3am but do wish when it had a bit more noise when I have it in track mode when i'm driving like an butt face.

Made the mistake with my WRX of hanging too loud of a exhaust on it and hating it on my commute.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Just read this thread and it's got me spooked, was gonna do an H pipe on my otherwise stock active exhaust but some people are acting like that's too loud for them. My car is in "quiet" mode 80 percent of the time which I love for my work commute and going in and out of my neighborhood at 3am but do wish when it had a bit more noise when I have it in track mode when i'm driving like an butt face.

Made the mistake with my WRX of hanging too loud of a exhaust on it and hating it on my commute.
I did an xpipe with the active exhaust on my '21. In quiet mode I get no complaints from the wife while cruising around and on long trips. That's my "loud" barometer.....trust me she would complain if it was loud. Once you get past 4K you can hear it. Interestingly enough with the back seats down and on quiet mode, without the x-pipe she complained. So there's a resonance issue even with the factory resonator. Keep those back seats up and you'll be fine.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Iā€™ve got an h pipe, I really enjoy it. Quiet mode will still be very quiet. All the other modes go up one notch in volume IMO. Normal sounds like Sport, Sport sounds like Track and Track is Track+. X pipe is also a really good option, my dad has it on his and it sounds equally as good and might be a shade louder than my H
Sponsored