Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
Hey all.

Whipple vs centri vs TT

Have 4.09's and a calimer stage 3 D4 so gearing is a hell of a lot better than factory...

Currently already running a Whipple but considering a switch, try something else.

Mainly trying to grasp primary differences, cars used for roll racing and circuit work.

Testimonials please?

(Gen 3 yote)
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Any power at her is nice on those cars personally, I would probably go to a lower gear

But I donā€™t think itā€™s worth the money to switch their benefits to any power adder system, but the fact you have one. I donā€™t believe thereā€™s a benefit to switching.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree with Terry, not that I am an expert, but 4.09's has gotta get up on that rev limiter pretty quickly. I think a switch down to a 3.73 or 3.55 would do a lot for keeping you from having to shift so quickly. My Gt500 had 3.73's and only a 6500 redline and I was bouncing off it pretty quickly. I know these cars rev out to 7400+, but that 4.09 has got to get there fast.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
on our 2018 centri setup, i was doing a 2nd gear leave, with the auto, with 3.15 gears... now e have a 3.0 with the turbo...

gearing is way to high imo to make the 1st hear useable in any way

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
Any power at her is nice on those cars personally, I would probably go to a lower gear

But I donā€™t think itā€™s worth the money to switch their benefits to any power adder system, but the fact you have one. I donā€™t believe thereā€™s a benefit to switching.
Lower gearing isn't great for 40 roll (kph) and the 4.09 let's me push through the bulk of 4th but i never quite run out of gear on drag.

Honestly love the gearing...

But wouldn't mind a more theatrical boost source...

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i don't know what theatrical means

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
I agree with Terry, not that I am an expert, but 4.09's has gotta get up on that rev limiter pretty quickly. I think a switch down to a 3.73 or 3.55 would do a lot for keeping you from having to shift so quickly. My Gt500 had 3.73's and only a 6500 redline and I was bouncing off it pretty quickly. I know these cars rev out to 7400+, but that 4.09 has got to get there fast.
Stage 3 calimer box, 4.09 is like a 3.73 with a factory d4 for 1st and 2nd, 3rd was only 2% longer and 4th is still 1:1 so it gets full 4.09 goodness.

4.09 if it was a factory gearbox yeah, 100% too high, but it's far from factory ;)

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
well, a vortech with heritage gears and a big bv57 will make alot of noise if thats what your after

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Hey all.

Whipple vs centri vs TT

Have 4.09's and a calimer stage 3 D4 so gearing is a hell of a lot better than factory...

Currently already running a Whipple but considering a switch, try something else.

Mainly trying to grasp primary differences, cars used for roll racing and circuit work.

Testimonials please?

(Gen 3 yote)
With you already running a Whipple, I could only imagine a switch to turbo if anything. Dialing in the Whipple would be by first recommendation, but staging with a turbo may be beneficial with the D4 (modified) and gear set you have.

What's the quickest you've ran thus far?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
on our 2018 centri setup, i was doing a 2nd gear leave, with the auto, with 3.15 gears... now e have a 3.0 with the turbo...

gearing is way to high imo to make the 1st hear useable in any way
Don't race from a dig, only rolls, an in second as is and only 2800rpm

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
With you already running a Whipple, I could only imagine a switch to turbo if anything. Dialing in the Whipple would be by first recommendation, but staging with a turbo may be beneficial with the D4 (modified) and gear set you have.

What's the quickest you've ran thus far?
Haven't done a 1320 yet, 1st go before gearing was 13.1 then the factory clutch just slipped like crazy. Haven't been back since.... lucky to get 2 passes in 6hrs at my local strip

(Also is an uphill track... hard to get a decent time there)

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Haven't done a 1320 yet, 1st go before gearing was 13.1 then the factory clutch just slipped like crazy. Haven't been back since.... lucky to get 2 passes in 6hrs at my local strip

(Also is an uphill track... hard to get a decent time there)
I gotcha -With your roll-racing intent...really could only justify jumping ship (Even more so than the strip intent) to turbos. Are you having heat / cooling issues currently with the Whipple on the circuit? The system should be very balanced with the stock Whipple cooling solution (with an oversized heat exchanger).

I think we should work backwards - what part of the car disappoints you in its current state?

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
I gotcha -With your roll-racing intent...really could only justify jumping ship (Even more so than the strip intent) to turbos. Are you having heat / cooling issues currently with the Whipple on the circuit? The system should be very balanced with the stock Whipple cooling solution (with an oversized heat exchanger).

I think we should work backwards - what part of the car disappoints you in its current state?
Yeah I'm getting too much soak on circuit, IAT don't appear to get hammered too bad but motors getting hot. don't actually know where to back off but if the car pulls you back in assuming the 112Ā°C is too hot šŸ˜… usually get about 3 laps in full tilt.

4th is a half cool, and might get a 5th flat tit again.

Ideally E85 would sort it out, I am looking into a return fuel system but looks like i might have to put something together myself as i need surge protection.

Biggest problem in AUS though is E85 is monopolised... our 98(93) is currently $2L, only one place sells E85, and for $2.40L...

So leaning towards water meth setup, and those roush auxilery coolers coupled up with PWR radiator and exchanger upgrades

But mainly if i was to change FI its because i miss the way turbos apply power, and the sound... oh how i miss that tsutsu

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
Biggest problem in AUS though is E85 is monopolised... our 98(93) is currently $2L, only one place sells E85, and for $2.40L...
You have no idea how much I wish the moonshine was priced the same as literally anywhere else in the world šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜«

Only benefit is it'll almost always test at 83+
Sponsored