Whine @ 4K RPMs

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Just got back from the dealership and I'm pretty disappointed. They tried to help. They had a lead service tech drive the car for 15 min with me in the passenger seat. The tech has been there for more than a decade and driven all sorts of Mustangs.

He said the amount of tranny whine here is at an acceptable level and there is not one noise on the car that didn't concern him at all. I pressed him on why it would be way louder to me over the last week or so.... He told me, he's not really sure why it would be that way and tried to reassure me nothing is wrong with this car.

He then went on to tell me, he of course makes his living by fixing broken things... so if something is wrong, he wants to find it to make his living and of course to help me the customer.

There were no other GTs on the lot with a MT-82 in it...... it was either 10-Speed or the new Mach 1 with the Tremec.

Between having the 2k rattle and now this.... I just have a symphony of crappy noises unless I'm wide open.... then the exhaust over-powers everything.

IDK what to say, I'm frustrated.
When I bought my 15 gt 6 speed used a month ago. I thought it had a bad engine and tranny. All sorts of strange noises , all stock. After researching it seems mustangs just sound like that lol. I'm hoping to ride along in another stock gt to here what it sounds like. Too bad you arent closer to me. We could test drive
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe drain and refill tranny, use bg synchroshidt ii if you are doing it. I noticed smoother overall shifting and not as notxhy cold

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, the next step here is to change the transmission fluid. It's easy even for a novice, as long as you can lift the car up. Even with ramps. Since the dealer won't do anything until it's actually broken, that's what I would do.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the next step here is to change the transmission fluid. It's easy even for a novice, as long as you can lift the car up. Even with ramps. Since the dealer won't do anything until it's actually broken, that's what I would do.
Car has to be level on all 4 corners for tranny drain and refill. 4 Jack stands can work tho

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
I got some onboard footage of it last night......... to me this is excessive and definitely twice as loud as it was a few weeks ago. I mean it sounds like the amount of tranny whine I can hear in a NASCAR Cup Car or V8 Supercar in Australia lol..... It sounds sort of cool, but I know it isn't right.

What do you guys think?

It's actually way louder with the windows down and being side by side with another car... or beside a wall to reflect the sound.....This video is with all the windows up, otherwise the wind and exhaust drone everything out.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
thats the same noise as my scion, I do really do believe its the input shaft bearings. that said, my scion still drives fine. but there is a TSB that fixes my transmission, I just.. never knew about the damn thing. and im well beyond the tsb.

id get it fixed, and force it for warranty work. that is going to need a new tranny imo or full rebuild.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thats the same noise as my scion, I do really do believe its the input shaft bearings. that said, my scion still drives fine. but there is a TSB that fixes my transmission, I just.. never knew about the damn thing. and im well beyond the tsb.

id get it fixed, and force it for warranty work. that is going to need a new tranny imo or full rebuild.
Well so far dealer #1 won't even touch it... I requested them to at least change the transmission fluid and they said there's no need to because everything is fine. Going to take it to another dealer on Tuesday and fight for myself a bit more.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
id be like dog.

drive a stock gt around, then drive mine.

if you dont hear the difference, and if you do and think its acceptable, contact corporate. if you are within your powertrain coverage, it needs addressed now

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
id be like dog.

drive a stock gt around, then drive mine.

if you dont hear the difference, and if you do and think its acceptable, contact corporate. if you are within your powertrain coverage, it needs addressed now
The problem I had at the first dealer is they had no manual GTs on the lot so I couldn't use the comparison test at them..... luckily the one I'm going to on Tuesday is the biggest Ford dealership in Southern California and they have about 7-8 on the lot right now... so I can do that.

I have more than 1 1/2 years of the stock powertrain warranty left.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
press hard. if its an input or main shaft bearing, they can fail and cause damage, not just noise.
but my scion has 170k miles, and its been doing the noise for 100k miles, the TSB expired at 60k. so if my tranny goes, im just going to buy a brand new one for 2k. rebuilders want 1500-2000 to rebuild it. meh.

id rather let the damn thing blow and buy a brand new tranny myself. toss new clutch w it and happy. only reason it doesn't bother me much now, is at higher gears/cruise speeds, I dont notice it. only accelerating/gassing it and more noticeable higher rpms.

but I still wish I could fix it under warranty, like you can. it isn't normal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
press hard. if its an input or main shaft bearing, they can fail and cause damage, not just noise.
but my scion has 170k miles, and its been doing the noise for 100k miles, the TSB expired at 60k. so if my tranny goes, im just going to buy a brand new one for 2k. rebuilders want 1500-2000 to rebuild it. meh.

id rather let the damn thing blow and buy a brand new tranny myself. toss new clutch w it and happy. only reason it doesn't bother me much now, is at higher gears/cruise speeds, I dont notice it. only accelerating/gassing it and more noticeable higher rpms.

but I still wish I could fix it under warranty, like you can. it isn't normal.
That's incredible it's gone that long as is. You're way better off just getting a new one for that price. Same here though too, at higher speeds you don't really hear anything.... low speeds and accelerating... it's loud as hell... you can tell it isn't right.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, it could also last forever. but IF I WAS within warranty, id be raising hell to get it fixed before was out of it. I tossed the diff trans fluid in, didn't really make a difference. it was a 45 dollar change, was worth a shot. no harm no foul. that fluid had 70k on it anyway.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I got some onboard footage of it last night......... to me this is excessive and definitely twice as loud as it was a few weeks ago. I mean it sounds like the amount of tranny whine I can hear in a NASCAR Cup Car or V8 Supercar in Australia lol..... It sounds sort of cool, but I know it isn't right.

What do you guys think?

It's actually way louder with the windows down and being side by side with another car... or beside a wall to reflect the sound.....This video is with all the windows up, otherwise the wind and exhaust drone everything out.
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that is NOT normal... Sounds like my old 5-speed Hyundai Santa Fe which had input shaft bearing issues, as @FreePenguin said. I hear a little bit of whine in mine from time to time in first gear, but nothing as pronounced as that and I have the older MT-82 from the 15-17's

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
my 17 ecoboost doesn't have any whine at all, none notta. I have a quiet exhaust too (EB) but I dont hear it at all. if im driving with music off, I can hear my exhaust a little, but its just quiet. im at 30k miles on my 17 at the moment.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealership I was going to head out to tomorrow just called me and said, "Due to a shortage of mechanics, we won't be able to look at your car." Keep in the mind this is the biggest Ford dealership in Southern California. Lol, this is just going to continue onward.

I can go back to my original dealer and be persistent or call Ford's corporate number, pretty sad.
Sponsored