Sponsored

Whine @ 4K RPMs

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Hey Guys,

A couple days ago I was driving the car pretty passionately... but nothing that is extremely rough on these cars. I noticed out of no where the car developed a weird almost whistle noise that turns into a whine at anything above 4K RPMs on any gear.

It’s a 2018 GT, PP1, MT-82. It’s never overheated or even come close to doing that... has all of its power, and shifts really nicely. Only 17k miles on it.

I tried recording some videos of it... but the exhaust overpowers anything my phone or GoPro can record... but you can audibly hear the whine from inside the engine bay while driving... windows up or down.

The car does have the 2k rattle rattle and small BBQ tick.

Car runs fine otherwise, but this whine almost sounds like a turbo spooling up... which obviously isn’t the case. I have no idea what to think. Anyone’s advice is much appreciated. Still have about 2 years of original powertrain warranty left.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Does it whine primarily on decel or accel? I couldn't really hear it in the video

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it whine primarily on decel or accel? I couldn't really hear it in the video
Only accel. Having a really hard time getting it on camera.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Do you have the A/C on when you are getting the whine? The when the compressor starts to whine, it will sound like a tiny supercharger.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
is it a manual?

maybe its an input shaft, or rear input shaft. kinda same thing I have on my manual in my other car. only on acceleration/decel in gear, when I put clutch in, all noise is gone. no noise at idle.

I did this, few days ago. - you can hear the whine when im accelerating.

car drives beautiful, just noisy, particularly 1/2/3 more so. as higher gears, I have lower rpm, and its kinda dependent on rpm to noise ratio. lower rpm, less noise, higher rpm, more noise.

I think its the input shaft. im tossing amsoil gear lube in the tranny tomorrow or weds to see if it quiets it down. not sure if this is similar, im not in your car driving.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Could be transmission whine or differential?

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the A/C on when you are getting the whine? The when the compressor starts to whine, it will sound like a tiny supercharger.
Just tried it, sounds the same whether the A/C is on or off... very good suggestion though!

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is it a manual?

maybe its an input shaft, or rear input shaft. kinda same thing I have on my manual in my other car. only on acceleration/decel in gear, when I put clutch in, all noise is gone. no noise at idle.

I did this, few days ago. - you can hear the whine when im accelerating.

car drives beautiful, just noisy, particularly 1/2/3 more so. as higher gears, I have lower rpm, and its kinda dependent on rpm to noise ratio. lower rpm, less noise, higher rpm, more noise.

I think its the input shaft. im tossing amsoil gear lube in the tranny tomorrow or weds to see if it quiets it down. not sure if this is similar, im not in your car driving.
There are a lot of similarities there!! Mine isn’t as loud as that but I think my exhaust might be covering more of it up. A lot to think about here.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered new trans fluid, amsoil. I’m going to toss it in and see if noise changes. Will update, it’s doubtful. But if it it does, maybe consider a drain and refill.

bur I will update afterwards tomorrow or next day.

mines also 170k miles lol. But diff car. It works fine just kinda noisy

Sponsored
OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After doing some more research I only get the whine in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.... Makes me think it’s some sort of tranny whine. Maybe it’s low on transmission fluid somehow? Going to take it to the dealer tomorrow.

No whine in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear and the engine sounds normal reving it out in neutral.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Everything you just said is 100% spot on in my Scion. 1/2/3 real noisy, 4-5-6 quiet. That’s why it really never bothered me
I put75w90 in my Scion and it quieted it a little.No real difference though in all actuality

Im just living with it as it’s out of warranty. But if you’re in it. Fix it.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything you just said is 100% spot on in my Scion. 1/2/3 real noisy, 4-5-6 quiet. That’s why it really never bothered me
I put75w90 in my Scion and it quieted it a little.No real difference though in all actuality

Im just living with it as it’s out of warranty. But if you’re in it. Fix it.
Still have about 2 years of the original powertrain warranty. I'm going to request a ride along with a master tech tomorrow to demonstrate the noises to them and ask them to check out the transmission fluid.... what else would you recommend me saying to them?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No clue man. Ask to drive one of their manuals on the lot to compare noise though.

id say, I want quiet like the other car

fix it

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No clue man. Ask to drive one of their manuals on the lot to compare noise though.

id say, I want quiet like the other car

fix it
Just got back from the dealership and I'm pretty disappointed. They tried to help. They had a lead service tech drive the car for 15 min with me in the passenger seat. The tech has been there for more than a decade and driven all sorts of Mustangs.

He said the amount of tranny whine here is at an acceptable level and there is not one noise on the car that didn't concern him at all. I pressed him on why it would be way louder to me over the last week or so.... He told me, he's not really sure why it would be that way and tried to reassure me nothing is wrong with this car.

He then went on to tell me, he of course makes his living by fixing broken things... so if something is wrong, he wants to find it to make his living and of course to help me the customer.

There were no other GTs on the lot with a MT-82 in it...... it was either 10-Speed or the new Mach 1 with the Tremec.

Between having the 2k rattle and now this.... I just have a symphony of crappy noises unless I'm wide open.... then the exhaust over-powers everything.

IDK what to say, I'm frustrated.
Sponsored