Which GT for me?

TGYNYY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've been looking for a 2018-2020 GT for a month or two. My current DD is a 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Love it as a utility vehicle, but as a DD driving 30min to and from work, it sucks. I live north of NYC and drive to Queens for work, so i'm mostly highway and the cars move fast. Driving the Tacoma fast feels like i'm driving on marshmallows. I will keep the Tacoma for winter driving, driving the kids around, going fishing, vacations in the mountains, but want to get a performance vehicle for my DD to and from work.

I've been a mustang guy since i was a kid. Talked my mom into letting me get a 1985 GT 5.0 for my first car. I loved it and had tons of fun......probably too much. Since then, i've had mostly sport utility vehicle due to where i have lived and my outdoors lifestyle. Now, i'm at a point where i can keep the Tacoma and get myself something i will enjoy as a DD. Plus my wife has a Cherokee so we would still have 2 vehicles to drive the kids (5 and 7yrs old) around in.

Anyway, as i said, the car will mostly be a DD, but it will also be something i would take out on the weekend for a spirited drive out in the country as well. Probably also take the kids out on some cruises. I'm pretty much set on wanting a PP as i want a car that i won't have to modify much. I test drove a 2020 PP1 301a AE 6MT and thought it was great. I thought the seats were pretty comfortable and the car drove really well. I haven't had the chance to try a premium or 401a yet. I'm not sure if leather seats are a need to have for me. The other GT i found is a PP2 that has had the SC2s replaced. It is well optioned and low miles. The link to the car is below.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1FA6P8CF7K5194333

I'm trying to stay within a budget, but could spend a little extra for a well optioned car like the PP2 above. Any advice from those of you who DD a PP1 or PP2? What options do you feel are must have's?
Yikes. My brand new 2019 GT PP1 A10 with 301A was $37K. That price is sky high
Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Almost any time other than right now. Especially right now. Yes, everyone should wait.
What in particular are we waiting to happen before we buy a car, and when will know it's ok? I just wanted to know just in case. I'm asking for a friend.

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Earlier today I test drove a 2020 GT A10 400a AE (link below). I wanted to get a feel for the A10 and a non-PP GT. I was actually very impressed with the A10. It shifted very smoothly and was fast. The 400a was also nice, but i didn't think it was a major improvement over the 301a. The seats were nice and comfortable, but the cloth seats were also comfortable. This time i made sure to fully adjust the steering column and seat to were it felt just right for me. Also, the Inconic Silver is an awesome color. Again, the AE is really cool. I actually drove the car to my house (it was only a few miles away) and pulled into the driveway and revved it in track mode. My wife immediately knew it was me and came out. Ha.

https://www.scarsdaleford.net/new-Scarsdale-2020-Ford-Mustang-GT+Premium-1FA6P8CF5L5190525

The one difference i did note was that it did not feel as "grounded" as the PP1. The car felt light and fast, but i did not feel attached to the road like i did in the PP1. It handled well, but the PP1 feels like it is on rails. It did have the P-zeros, which i'm sure did not help. The other big difference I notice was the brakes. The stock brakes were fine but the Brembos were much better.

So, i'm surprised how much i liked the A10. I think i still favor the 6M, but i'm glad i drove it. The dealer did not want to budge much on the price. The lowest the would go is $40,000. For me, that was not enough for a non-PP car that i would end up adding some mods to...........like bigger and better tires right off the bat.
I would say go for it. With your incentives, that 2020 GT is only 200 dollars more than what I paid for my 2017 GT with similar package in 2016. Except it's not A10.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6M & 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I would say go for it. With your incentives, that 2020 GT is only 200 dollars more than what I paid for my 2017 GT with similar package in 2016. Except it's not A10.
Go for which? The non-PP A10?

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Two cars near me are priced as follows:

2019 GT PP1 301a M6 with 7000miles for 35,999.

2020 GTPP1 301a M6 with Active Exhaust for 42,567

The 2019 is nearly brand new and is $6000 less than the 2020. The only option that the 2020 has that the 2019 does not is the active exhaust. Which is priced better?
That really sucks that the prices are so high. I got my '19 GT PP1, 401a, active exhaust, B&O, safe smart, security packages for similar price to the 2019 you listed, granted it had 17k miles, but I purchased ford esp.

While I agree that it's not the time to get one, I think it's not going to get any better.

In regards to manuals, I live in NY, and I get stuck in traffic all the time, I LOVE driving my car, even in traffic. With the rev matching up and down shifts, hill assist, I feel like this is the easiest manual I have ever lived with.

Plus, with active exhaust on sport or track mode, i love being able to hear my engine when i shift up/down. I hardly use the audio.

Sponsored

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That really sucks that the prices are so high. I got my '19 GT PP1, 401a, active exhaust, B&O, safe smart, security packages for similar price to the 2019 you listed, granted it had 17k miles, but I purchased ford esp.

While I agree that it's not the time to get one, I think it's not going to get any better.

In regards to manuals, I live in NY, and I get stuck in traffic all the time, I LOVE driving my car, even in traffic. With the rev matching up and down shifts, hill assist, I feel like this is the easiest manual I have ever lived with.

Plus, with active exhaust on sport or track mode, i love being able to hear my engine when i shift up/down. I hardly use the audio.
I’m leaning strongly to the 2020 PP1 that is at Sheehy in Richmond. I have to admit, I really liked the A10 non-PP, but it didn’t feel as good as the PP. really like the Iconic Silver though. It seems to be a really hard color to find.

I also think I would enjoy the M6 more than an auto. That and I think i would end up modifying the non-PP car to get it close to a PP1. So might as well go with the PP1.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m leaning strongly to the 2020 PP1 that is at Sheehy in Richmond. I have to admit, I really liked the A10 non-PP, but it didn’t feel as good as the PP. really like the Iconic Silver though. It seems to be a really hard color to find.

I also think I would enjoy the M6 more than an auto. That and I think i would end up modifying the non-PP car to get it close to a PP1. So might as well go with the PP1.
I picked up my car from Virginia, drove the 4.5 hours down on my 17 EB 6MT lease, returned it to a ford dealer and drove the 19 GT home.

I have zero problems with my PP1 6MT. I have to say, if you can, the active exhaust is highly recommended. I druve mostly in sport or track mode, but I have it also set so that in the morning it goes into quiet mode so I don't annoy neighbors around my house and around my work.

I do not have magneride but without it, I still feel like PP1 ride is not too harsh. I actually thi k it's more comfortable than my 15 and 17 EB premiums.

Treefrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium
I've been looking for a 2018-2020 GT for a month or two. My current DD is a 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Love it as a utility vehicle, but as a DD driving 30min to and from work, it sucks. I live north of NYC and drive to Queens for work, so i'm mostly highway and the cars move fast. Driving the Tacoma fast feels like i'm driving on marshmallows. I will keep the Tacoma for winter driving, driving the kids around, going fishing, vacations in the mountains, but want to get a performance vehicle for my DD to and from work.

I've been a mustang guy since i was a kid. Talked my mom into letting me get a 1985 GT 5.0 for my first car. I loved it and had tons of fun......probably too much. Since then, i've had mostly sport utility vehicle due to where i have lived and my outdoors lifestyle. Now, i'm at a point where i can keep the Tacoma and get myself something i will enjoy as a DD. Plus my wife has a Cherokee so we would still have 2 vehicles to drive the kids (5 and 7yrs old) around in.

Anyway, as i said, the car will mostly be a DD, but it will also be something i would take out on the weekend for a spirited drive out in the country as well. Probably also take the kids out on some cruises. I'm pretty much set on wanting a PP as i want a car that i won't have to modify much. I test drove a 2020 PP1 301a AE 6MT and thought it was great. I thought the seats were pretty comfortable and the car drove really well. I haven't had the chance to try a premium or 401a yet. I'm not sure if leather seats are a need to have for me. The other GT i found is a PP2 that has had the SC2s replaced. It is well optioned and low miles. The link to the car is below.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1FA6P8CF7K5194333

I'm trying to stay within a budget, but could spend a little extra for a well optioned car like the PP2 above. Any advice from those of you who DD a PP1 or PP2? What options do you feel are must have's?
Man 2 years old and it's like 6k under what it is new....

I personally don't get the daily driving the pp. It doesn't add performance. If you wanted to track it you would be better to modify it yourself.

I dd a 401a activite exhaust 6mt. 43k new 2021

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked up my car from Virginia, drove the 4.5 hours down on my 17 EB 6MT lease, returned it to a ford dealer and drove the 19 GT home.

I have zero problems with my PP1 6MT. I have to say, if you can, the active exhaust is highly recommended. I druve mostly in sport or track mode, but I have it also set so that in the morning it goes into quiet mode so I don't annoy neighbors around my house and around my work.

I do not have magneride but without it, I still feel like PP1 ride is not too harsh. I actually thi k it's more comfortable than my 15 and 17 EB premiums.
Man, this is tough. Since driving a car with the AE i've really started to favor getting a car with AE. But, the best deal on a car i like in my budget is the 2020 PP1 at Sheehy. Only this that it doesn't have AE.

https://www.sheehyfordofrichmond.co...hmond-va-bcd793630a0e0adf08024f7dbf9a9706.htm

I really like this one, but the dealer is not moving much on the price.

https://www.brewsterford.com/new-Brewster-2020-Ford-Mustang-GT-1FA6P8CF3L5177563

I've also driven this one and really liked it, but thought the PP1 handled better. And it's an A10. The dealer is willing to work with me a little bit on the price. Additionally it has the 400a interior.

https://www.scarsdaleford.net/new-Scarsdale-2020-Ford-Mustang-GT+Premium-1FA6P8CF5L5190525

I recently found this one as well. It's not a PP1, but has dealer installed larger tires and a 3.55, plus it has AE and a M6. Also, it has the 401a interior.

https://www.georgewall.com/new-Red+Bank-2020-Ford-Mustang-GT+Premium-1FA6P8CFXL5184395

Any advice from you wise and experienced owners?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I recently found this one as well. It's not a PP1, but has dealer installed larger tires and a 3.55, plus it has AE and a M6. Also, it has the 401a interior.
This is the nicest car if you can get the price where you want it. Big difference between a 301A and 401A car. You really need to drive one.

By the way the dealer did not install the tires and gears. Both came from the factory. The Wheels and tires and part of the blackout package.

Lastly unless you are driving the car really hard or tracking it, the AE will give you far greater daily enjoyment than the PP.

Sponsored
OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the nicest car if you can get the price where you want it. Big difference between a 301A and 401A car. You really need to drive one.

By the way the dealer did not install the tires and gears. Both came from the factory. The Wheels and tires and part of the blackout package.

Lastly unless you are driving the car really hard or tracking it, the AE will give you far greater daily enjoyment than the PP.
Thanks for the feedback. Didn’t realize the wheels snd tired came with the blackout.
I’ve driven a 400a, but not a 401a. Is it really that big if a difference?

I won’t track the car but will definitely push it, safely, on the weekends on country roads.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2020 at Sheehy sold. Not surprising as it was a good price. At the moment I’m down to the black 2020 Premium or a 2021 antimatter blue PP1 301a AE at Sheehy for 41.8k. I can get the Premium down to 40.5k.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback. Didn’t realize the wheels snd tired came with the blackout.
I’ve driven a 400a, but not a 401a. Is it really that big if a difference?

I won’t track the car but will definitely push it, safely, on the weekends on country roads.
Couple of things.

I have had terrible experience with scarsdale ford. I live 10 min away from them and used to go to taekwondo classes right next to them, but back in 2015, I wanted to test drive an EB (as a 4cyl turbo was all new). Scarsdale had one EB in stock and they did not let me test drive it or even touch it. They said i can look at it but do not get in. I said I am 100%thinking of leasing if i test drive. They let me hear the engine turn on, then let me sit in the driver's seat, but told me not to rev the engine. I get that it was a 201a eb prem, fully loaded, but they treated it like it was a rare ferrari.

I asked to talk to someone, and mentioned x-plan and the salesman said, no thanks and turned and walk away from me.

I did get my '15 from quality automall in NJ because they let me test drive one (I came back from testdrive and signed the lease).

Scarsdale had two s197 shelbys in the front of their dealer (right at the corner) with crazy ADM, and the two cars sat at that spot for TWO YEARS. I finally saw both disappear in 2017!!

They do not seem to move cars much. Many friends in westchester area that tried to get fords told me similar experience.

As for the cars, the last one with 401a seems nicest. I know it doesn't have PP1, but unless you track your car, I don't the extra cooling would be something you'd notice.

I have driven 15 and 17 EB premium 6mt 201a (comparable to 401a in gt), but I feel like the PP1 even without magneride feels more comfortable. My wife says the cR seems more planted and doesn't bob up and down. She says compared to the PP1 the previous mustangs feel like it has worn struts.

If the PP1 you were looking for did not have magneride, I think I would got for a 401a GT premium 6mt with active exhaust.

You lose the brembo, but depending on how handy you are, you can find brembos on ebay (I've put GT calipers/rotors on my eb at home on jackstands).

Same goes for the wheels/tires.

But from what was discussed on here, factory active exhaust isn't something that you can add later.

If I had to strip away features and could not have what I jave, what I'd be willing to not have are:

Security package
B&O audio
PP1

I'd probably want to keep
Active exhaust
6mt
Premium (digital dash)
401a

When I was looking for my car, active exhaust wasn't high on my list, nor was magne ride (nor pp1). But after driving my car for past few months, I don't know if I would be okay with my car without active exhaust. I also use the quiet feature every morning when I commute to work.

It looks like maybe you just want a nice sports coupe that you can daily and enjoy manual shifting... if you do, i think i may just skip the PP1 (because it does not have Act. Exhaust) and go for the 401a prem with it, and if you like the PP1 spoiler (i like mine), add it afterwards.

OP
OP

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple of things.

I have had terrible experience with scarsdale ford. I live 10 min away from them and used to go to taekwondo classes right next to them, but back in 2015, I wanted to test drive an EB (as a 4cyl turbo was all new). Scarsdale had one EB in stock and they did not let me test drive it or even touch it. They said i can look at it but do not get in. I said I am 100%thinking of leasing if i test drive. They let me hear the engine turn on, then let me sit in the driver's seat, but told me not to rev the engine. I get that it was a 201a eb prem, fully loaded, but they treated it like it was a rare ferrari.

I asked to talk to someone, and mentioned x-plan and the salesman said, no thanks and turned and walk away from me.

I did get my '15 from quality automall in NJ because they let me test drive one (I came back from testdrive and signed the lease).

Scarsdale had two s197 shelbys in the front of their dealer (right at the corner) with crazy ADM, and the two cars sat at that spot for TWO YEARS. I finally saw both disappear in 2017!!

They do not seem to move cars much. Many friends in westchester area that tried to get fords told me similar experience.

As for the cars, the last one with 401a seems nicest. I know it doesn't have PP1, but unless you track your car, I don't the extra cooling would be something you'd notice.

I have driven 15 and 17 EB premium 6mt 201a (comparable to 401a in gt), but I feel like the PP1 even without magneride feels more comfortable. My wife says the cR seems more planted and doesn't bob up and down. She says compared to the PP1 the previous mustangs feel like it has worn struts.

If the PP1 you were looking for did not have magneride, I think I would got for a 401a GT premium 6mt with active exhaust.

You lose the brembo, but depending on how handy you are, you can find brembos on ebay (I've put GT calipers/rotors on my eb at home on jackstands).

Same goes for the wheels/tires.

But from what was discussed on here, factory active exhaust isn't something that you can add later.

If I had to strip away features and could not have what I jave, what I'd be willing to not have are:

Security package
B&O audio
PP1

I'd probably want to keep
Active exhaust
6mt
Premium (digital dash)
401a

When I was looking for my car, active exhaust wasn't high on my list, nor was magne ride (nor pp1). But after driving my car for past few months, I don't know if I would be okay with my car without active exhaust. I also use the quiet feature every morning when I commute to work.

It looks like maybe you just want a nice sports coupe that you can daily and enjoy manual shifting... if you do, i think i may just skip the PP1 (because it does not have Act. Exhaust) and go for the 401a prem with it, and if you like the PP1 spoiler (i like mine), add it afterwards.
This is excellent feedback and thanks for taking the time to write it out. My experience with Scarsdale Ford wasn’t that bad. They actually were willing to drop the price on the 2020 non PP1 to make a deal. I just didn’t want the car that bad.

The car will be a DD for me for part of the year. During the winter I’ll drive my Tacoma. Same for when it rains. So, I will drive it spring, summer, early fall. Weekends will be some spirited driving.

Im going to check out the non-PP1 401a on Monday. The other car I’m down to is the PP1 below at Sheehy. Both cars have the AE so it now becomes a decision of do I want the PP1 or the nicer, more comfortable interior?

https://www.sheehyfordofrichmond.co...hmond-va-6aba3ffc0a0e0adf2cfdb41ad9d85a43.htm

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's tough.

Like I was saying, one can score used PP1 brembos and PP1 wheels (I like em, but many seem to hate them) and spoiler.

I thought the center gauge cluster looked cool when I didn't have them on my EB's, but now that I have it, I have never once looked at it while driving in the 5 months I have driven my pp1.

I thought you needed to have the 12" digital instrument panel to get the active exhaust. How does one even switch modes on a 301a car with the analogue cluster??? Unless on a 301 car the exhaust is tied to the drive modes(the switch on the lower center console)? If so, that's pretty limiting because the digital IPC allows one to select exhaust mode independent of drive modes.

But that being said, the digital dash is another thing that I don't think I could go back from.

If i weren't tracking the car but want the PP1 look, I'd get the 401a with the digital dash, and heated/cooled seats (knock on wood, my cooling actually works on this car, never did on my 17), then get nicer wheels (I just got a set of almost new PP1 wheels and ps4 tires from forum member for $1100), try to buy used PP1 brembos and either install it yourself or get them installed (which is easy). Not even sure if you'd need to do the rears as they are just normal floating pistons. I just noticed that car has black wheels and tires. It also has a blade spoiler, so if you wanted the PP1 look, I believe the holes under the blade spoiler is the same as the PP1 spoiler.

The blue color was what I really wanted and shadow black was last on my list but I ended up with a shadow black. I love my black mustang, albeit I have to wash it often, but I purchased a cheap harbor freight pressure washer and I actually washing my car.

This is excellent feedback and thanks for taking the time to write it out. My experience with Scarsdale Ford wasn’t that bad. They actually were willing to drop the price on the 2020 non PP1 to make a deal. I just didn’t want the car that bad.

The car will be a DD for me for part of the year. During the winter I’ll drive my Tacoma. Same for when it rains. So, I will drive it spring, summer, early fall. Weekends will be some spirited driving.

Im going to check out the non-PP1 401a on Monday. The other car I’m down to is the PP1 below at Sheehy. Both cars have the AE so it now becomes a decision of do I want the PP1 or the nicer, more comfortable interior?

https://www.sheehyfordofrichmond.co...hmond-va-6aba3ffc0a0e0adf2cfdb41ad9d85a43.htm
Sponsored