Which Fuel?

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
I'm just curious what fuel everyone is using. I see the V8 can run on 91-98 octane but Ford recommends 98.
I know E10 is probably to be avoided. I'm just wondering what the power losses would be between 91 and 98.
Do you guys think there is a big different between Shell 98 and BP 98?

Thought I'd kick of a general conversation about fuel for the GT.
Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I have never put anything besides BP 98 Ultimate in it. I use the phone app Petrol Spy set exclusively to show BP servos in order to check pricing around my destination route. I guess Shell V would be my second choice.

grungysquash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang FN V8 convertable
I believe in the FN version you need premium - ironically the E10 is fine, the car can take 10% ethanol and the Octane number on E10 is 94 - so in theory E10, 95 & 98.

Most people myself included use only 98 - But I did get caught once and used E10 which was all they had - didn't notice any difference, the main benefit in theory of 98 is better fuel economy as the car can change the timing to get the max benefit of the improved knock resistance - Octane and power are often confused - your not going to have any real improvement in performance in running 98 unless your bouncing the car off the rev limiter. If running E10 I'd probably not recommend bouncing the car of the rev limiter as this has increased risk of pre-ignition which is what knock is, this is bad!! as the fuel is burning prior to reaching the correct TDC point in the engine - you want the spark to generate the burning not the fuel itself.

So the only fuel to avoid is actually 91 - yea don't use that in an FN

Unsure if you can run 91 in an FM - they have lower compression so 'may' get away with being able to use 91. Owners of FM can advise whatever their owners manual recommends.

If you want increased power - then u need a tune, normally they will tune to a specific Octane rating and normally higher = better but it's the ability to tune the car that provides more power getting the air fuel ratio correct throughout the rev range and they can tune that to run the engine leaner - this creates more risk of knock (as the engine will run hotter) so ergo you need a higher Octane fuel to reduce that knock. Once tuned you are going to need that higher Octane fuel, due to the change in the air fuel ratio.

As for the difference between the fuel supplier - yea that's more personal choice - IMO it make 0% difference but some will firmly believe one supplier is better. Its really only the additives they change in the fuel to improve cleaning etc - but yea - FN has both direct and port so I'm not concerned about carbon build up on the air intake valves.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I always use 98 Shell V-Power, although there is BP Ultimate 98 in the tank at the moment (Christmas voucher.)

IMG_E1772.jpg

This is not a dig at the OP, but I just don't understand why people even consider 91 ron, even if Ford say it can be used. The idea of buying a V8 powered, high performance coupe and then cheaping out by using or even thinking about using 91 ron is strange thought process. The only time where you would use 91 ron is if you got stuck and had no other option (rare these days though.)

Reactions: PKs

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I always use BP Ultimate 98 in my V8's never anything else

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I've run 87 on several highway trips with no negative effect, just a bit down on power, but generally use 93. I don't track or race, so no real reason to use higher. Not sure I've seen anything over 94 anywhere.

grungysquash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
All these answers are completely wrong. The correct fuel to use in your mustang is E85 ;)
Hahaha - and yes absolutely with a tune E85 is what 115 Octane?? So absolutely with a map your going to be able to get more power, just make sure you can swap maps when only 98 is available!!

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Highest octane you can get these are high compression motors. e85 if you guys have that (with a tune) I think e85 is ~106 american rated octane

Sponsored

grungysquash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Highest octane you can get these are high compression motors. e85 if you guys have that (with a tune) I think e85 is ~106 american rated octane
Yes you bloody yanks haven't moved to metric and use MON not RON for your octane rating but 90MON is what we consider to be 98RON and your 89MON is basically like our 95RON

Bloody Americans, you drive on the wrong side of the road, use inches and Sq feet, and different Octane ratings just to make life challenging!!

But hey we do love your V8!! so there is that!!

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Yes you bloody yanks haven't moved to metric and use MON not RON for your octane rating but 90MON is what we consider to be 98RON and your 89MON is basically like our 95RON

Bloody Americans, you drive on the wrong side of the road, use inches and Sq feet, and different Octane ratings just to make life challenging!!

But hey we do love your V8!! so there is that!!
lol. Personally, I do wish we would go metric. But yea if your best is just 90 US octane thats barely adequate. We get 93 octane here in the east coast and e85, 91 on the west coast.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
lol. Personally, I do wish we would go metric. But yea if your best is just 90 US octane thats barely adequate. We get 93 octane here in the east coast and e85, 91 on the west coast.
My Google tells me that our 98 RON = US 93

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
My Google tells me that our 98 RON = US 93
Yeah it's supposed to be, but Australian petrol quality is so shit that our 98 is more like 91 AKI. Our 91 RON is 3rd world country level bad.

Funnily enough, Americans have shit quality diesel and their E85 is basically anything between 35% to 85% ethanol while ours diesel is actually good and E85 is at least consistent enough to use E85R daily.

Reactions: PKs
OP
OP

bfets

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bfets
Vehicle(s)
No Mustang yet
Thanks guys for the interesting responses. I think I will aim to always use 98. However, it is good to know that 95 or 91 can be used in a emergency when 98 is unavailable. My car (when I get it) wont be a garage queen. It will be used as a daily. One never knows when you're in a pinch and you only have access to 91 (rural areas)
Sponsored