Where to go from here for suspension

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
hey everyone! so this is for a mostly DD car, street use..but probably some track use as well. Even as a DD, i dont mind if the ride gets more harsh (im used to a pretty harsh honda s2000)..i just prefer for the car to handle really well; on the street, canyons..etc.

so far my setup is as follows:

2018 mustang gt (non pp) premium
vmp odin kit with Lund racing tune
free flowing exhaust with roush catback (not super important but listing everything)
eibach pro-kit lowering springs and sway bars
BMR cb005 and cb762
forgestar f14 wheels. 18x10 front and 17x10.5 rear (i know its more drag setup, im also going to be having a 19x10ish square stance setup as well)
toyo r888r tires. 275/35/18 front and 315/35/17 rear
a few other mods that really dont do much performance wise.

im just wondering what suspension parts i should work on from here. Ive been looking at koni struts/viking shocks..but not sure what would be best. I also dont mind getting coilovers or different lowering springs if that is what is recommended. I just would like some insight from people that know more about it than i do, before i spend money on a setup that wont be as good.

thank you!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Where to go?
... go driving.

Is there a soecific flaw you want to fix? Tires are always a good place to start.

A monotube shock like the Ford Racing or Bilsteins paired with a “handling” or ~GT350R rate spring with a /moderate/ drop is a good daily driver thag can carve corners.

The most common mistakes are going too low on the ride height anf going to soft on the shocks and springs. You need to keep as much suspension travel as you can. The suspension needs to move to work.

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Where to go?
... go driving.

Is there a soecific flaw you want to fix? Tires are always a good place to start.

A monotube shock like the Ford Racing or Bilsteins paired with a “handling” or ~GT350R rate spring with a /moderate/ drop is a good daily driver thag can carve corners.

The most common mistakes are going too low on the ride height anf going to soft on the shocks and springs. You need to keep as much suspension travel as you can. The suspension needs to move to work.
Ive been driving, multiple times. Just trying to get opinions.

From what ive seen..toyo r888r are pretty great tires.

Yeah..i figured not too low for a dd. Thats why i originally got the eibach pro springs..but was open to suggestions if there are different recommendations.

The rest is useful..thank you.

Sponsored

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
hey everyone! so this is for a mostly DD car, street use..but probably some track use as well. Even as a DD, i dont mind if the ride gets more harsh (im used to a pretty harsh honda s2000)..i just prefer for the car to handle really well; on the street, canyons..etc.

so far my setup is as follows:

2018 mustang gt (non pp) premium
vmp odin kit with Lund racing tune
free flowing exhaust with roush catback (not super important but listing everything)
eibach pro-kit lowering springs and sway bars
BMR cb005 and cb762
forgestar f14 wheels. 18x10 front and 17x10.5 rear (i know its more drag setup, im also going to be having a 19x10ish square stance setup as well)
toyo r888r tires. 275/35/18 front and 315/35/17 rear
a few other mods that really dont do much performance wise.

im just wondering what suspension parts i should work on from here. Ive been looking at koni struts/viking shocks..but not sure what would be best. I also dont mind getting coilovers or different lowering springs if that is what is recommended. I just would like some insight from people that know more about it than i do, before i spend money on a setup that wont be as good.

thank you!
I don't have the mods yet, but I'm interested in the responses here.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the mods yet, but I'm interested in the responses here.
There are dozens of threads that ask the same question and get basically the same answer. Just read thru them.

If you're local to NoVA you're welcome to ride in mine and see how you like it.

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
There are dozens of threads that ask the same question and get basically the same answer. Just read thru them.

yeah..ive tried reading through a lot of the threads..but people have different setups..it can also be hard at times to find what works best (viking..koni..bilstein) etc. So i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask to get a little further insight into not only what would be best long term..but also what may be best or most recommended to focus on first, or short term.

what do you have on yours?

(i know you replied to him, just figured id ask anyways)

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

Sponsored

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430

Appreciate the offer and I'll likely take you up on that. Your config is very much what I'm currently looking at, although I was leaning toward the Ultralite linear springs. The higher rates on the DRs concerns me for everyday use, so it would be nice to see how those feel in person.

I'm in NoVA; Fairfax/Annandale area.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yeah ive looked at those and both look solid. Ive also considered a few of there other options. I sent an email to brian@bmvk to see what he has to say too.

Currently looks like the ford performance "track" struts and shocks are a tried and true setup that would go well with my springs. So im seriously considering those currently.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
yeah..ive tried reading through a lot of the threads..but people have different setups..it can also be hard at times to find what works best (viking..koni..bilstein) etc. So i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask to get a little further insight into not only what would be best long term..but also what may be best or most recommended to focus on first, or short term.

what do you have on yours?

(i know you replied to him, just figured id ask anyways)
Over the past few months I have installed most of Steeda's suspension products, you can see it in my tag below, taking a 35mph turn at 85 is a piece of cake. It all adds up, each part, just decide what you want to improve first.
Sponsored