Sponsored

When is enough, enough?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'm good with where I'm at for now...But I would have gone for more power if I thought my rods would last. If/when I pop the motor I'll probably get it to 1000rwhp and leave it there.
Sponsored

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
So, I'm curious to know from you guys and gals, when do you say "I have enough power and dont want anymore"?
When is enough?... When you're done pissing money away that you'll never recoup. :lol:

IMO, there is never enough, but for me it comes in the form of thinking like this... "should I dump a bunch of money into my car...or buy a boat, waverunner..etc" I have a lot of hobbies, probably way too many, so keeping up with everything becomes a money factor. Before I had a family, I went crazy modding everything, my motorcycles were built up, cars built...etc. I've pissed more money away on that stuff than I care to calculate. lol So at this point in time, I'm happy being lightly modded and reliable with a warranty for the next 5 years.

OP
OP
Ricky218

Ricky218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm good with where I'm at for now...But I would have gone for more power if I thought my rods would last. If/when I pop the motor I'll probably get it to 1000rwhp and leave it there.

So what makes you want 1000whp?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I haven't decided for my car, but I think enough is 5.0 with forced induction. Until the car crashes, and then enough is a Honda Fit with 1.5L and manual transmission :lol:

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I have been thinking about this for a long time. A 225 HP Fox seemed like a lot in 1988. It ran really hard, fastest thing I had ever known at the time. Then my 320 HP 99 Cobra was faster than that, and I felt like it was about as much as I needed. When the 390 HP Termi came out, I didn't want one. Nose-heavy iron block and too much power, more drag car than sports car and not for me. The original 500 HP GT500 was the same way, only more so since it was so prone to hot running.

Now that I have a 15 GT, the 435 HP makes it the fastest car I have owned, by far. But it feels less over the top than the 99 Cobra because the chassis is so much better and more dialed in. I don't feel like it's gonna kill me. Neither do I think I need FI and 700 HP.

But then there's that nagging thought that the car might be more fun day to day if it had a little LESS power, and I could beat on it in public without instantly going 100 miles an hour. I used to drive the snot out of cars like a Fiat 124 Spyder, an old 78 Ford Fiesta, and even my '80 RX7, and no one on the road knew I was doing it, LOL. It's about balance. The 15 chassis is so good it soaks up 435 HP that would have had a Fox spinning like a top. It's not scary, it can handle a lot more power safely. But unless it's a track car, it just doesn't seem to me that all that effort is worth anything since I'd have to *****-foot it all the time to avoid being arrested.

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
But then there's that nagging thought that the car might be more fun day to day if it had a little LESS power, and I could beat on it in public without instantly going 100 miles an hour. I used to drive the snot out of cars like a Fiat 124 Spyder, an old 78 Ford Fiesta, and even my '80 RX7, and no one on the road knew I was doing it, LOL.
easy solution. Setup MyKey to 80 mph. Run the car as hard as you want, within the limits of the tires, and it magically runs out of breath at 80mph. Probably over the speed limit but still "reasonable".

OP
OP
Ricky218

Ricky218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks for all the responses, this really shows how we all seem to either be happy with what we have or will always want more. Everyone's reason's a very interesting to me. Keep'em coming, I really enjoy reading everyones opinions :cheers:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
So what makes you want 1000whp?
Truthfully just a number to look at and be proud of...like a childhood dream I can make real. I'll have a better idea on useable power when I get her on a track in the spring. First half-mile race will be in April or May.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
So, I'm curious to know from you guys and gals, when do you say "I have enough power and dont want anymore"?
For me there's not a point that I don't want anymore power, just one when it's temporarily not feasible to have more. :cheers:

With the new power/traction management coming from Lund having a 700+whp daily isn't going to be nearly the challenge it is now.

Go for 1200whp!

OP
OP
Ricky218

Ricky218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
For me there's not a point that I don't want anymore power, just one when it's temporarily not feasible to have more. :cheers:

With the new power/traction management coming from Lund having a 700+whp daily isn't going to be nearly the challenge it is now.

Go for 1200whp!
lol nice!!:D

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Love the posts. Personally, I think the GT has just enough power. For autocross it seems too strong (in my novice hands) and even on spirited drives I've had to modulate the throttle with great care - WOT is a rare occasion out here. I would personally not work on adding power, but instead on some of the other subjective aspects of handling and driver feedback (lowering unspring weight, improving damping, steering feedback, body motions etc)

I feel the quest for power people have may partly have to do with throttle response. I recently installed the JMS Pedalax and can tell you, this car has really woken up. It was always fast, but now it just feels insanely quick - not sure why Ford didnt set it up this way from the factory, especially with the PP cars. It's like someone increased torque and the speed of revving of the engine - the always rev happy 5.0 now seems to be connected to my right foot with a cable. Try that before adding more boost ;-).

OP
OP
Ricky218

Ricky218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Love the posts. Personally, I think the GT has just enough power. For autocross it seems too strong (in my novice hands) and even on spirited drives I've had to modulate the throttle with great care - WOT is a rare occasion out here. I would personally not work on adding power, but instead on some of the other subjective aspects of handling and driver feedback (lowering unspring weight, improving damping, steering feedback, body motions etc)

I feel the quest for power people have may partly have to do with throttle response. I recently installed the JMS Pedalax and can tell you, this car has really woken up. It was always fast, but now it just feels insanely quick - not sure why Ford didnt set it up this way from the factory, especially with the PP cars. It's like someone increased torque and the speed of revving of the engine - the always rev happy 5.0 now seems to be connected to my right foot with a cable. Try that before adding more boost ;-).
Good to hear the opinion of a person that does auto cross. I wonder if road racing guys feel similar? Enough power/torque, maybe needs a little more or a little less?

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Good to hear the opinion of a person that does auto cross. I wonder if road racing guys feel similar? Enough power/torque, maybe needs a little more or a little less?
I'm very new to open track events (only about 10 hours of track time under my belt) but I definitely don't feel it's over powered. My main gripe is even in Track Mode (AdvanceTrac still on) the nannies kick in pretty quick, but that's for a different thread.
Sponsored