Sponsored

When is enough, enough?

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
I am content with the power I have with my Paxton kit. I may auto cross my car once or twice this up coming year but no 1/4 mile stuff. I installed the Paxton for that extra "kick in the pants" when I want/need it. 400/450hp seems to be the benchmark of factory performance cars these days and I like to be a little different than everyone else.
For me, when is enough enough? That is a seasonal question. Right now, I cant get traction for crap under full throttle in 1st or 2nd because of the cold weather. Summertime, I think I could use a little more. ;) There are a few little odds and ends that I plan to do for my car that will have small gains in power but that is just a by product.
Just for reference, my car put down 525hp to the wheels on a Mustang Dyno. With the little extras I plan on, it should have me somewhere around 550 to 570. This is more than enough to get away from ya if you get inattentive with your driving.
Sponsored

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
There's a guy here in Houston that rolls around in a 2,400 hp Ford GT. And this past year he decided that wasn't enough power so he tuned it with new turbos to get it to 2,600 hp, which he says for now is enough. Then there's the people who buy Bugatti's and Koeniggsegg's just to have at least 1,000 hp just from the start.
So yeah, it's all subjective really. To how much you think you can/want to handle and how deep your pockets are, IMO

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Love the posts. Personally, I think the GT has just enough power. For autocross it seems too strong (in my novice hands) and even on spirited drives I've had to modulate the throttle with great care - WOT is a rare occasion out here. I would personally not work on adding power, but instead on some of the other subjective aspects of handling and driver feedback (lowering unspring weight, improving damping, steering feedback, body motions etc)
I felt this way the 1st couple laps out at autocross, the rear end broke loose readily and I struggled to modulate the throttle without overwhelming the back tires. Once I got used to it I found the power output a good match for the stock tires if well modulated(no stabbing the throttle). The stock tires at least will be overwhelmed pretty quick with any power upgrades.

Just look at any serious race car, be it a SCCA Solo Nationals winning car to a Daytona Prototype or F1 car, you can have big power if you have the grip for it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There's a guy here in Houston that rolls around in a 2,400 hp Ford GT. And this past year he decided that wasn't enough power so he tuned it with new turbos to get it to 2,600 hp, which he says for now is enough.
Sounds like an episode or two of "Botched" where the gal who already had 1500 cc implants wanted even more, and wanted to go for some 2000 ccs.

Sponsored

shadowsong6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang v6
As someone stated earlier we are a special kind of crazy here in Houston, and it's hard to throw a rock without hitting a 1000+ wheel horsepower car, that being said, how much is enough, all depends on how well your chassis and suspension are sorted out, and what you're comfortable with. If the car starts to scare you, then it's time to either turn it down, work on the suspension, or call it done.

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
Sounds like an episode or two of "Botched" where the gal who already had 1500 cc implants wanted even more, and wanted to go for some 2000 ccs.
Pretty much. From what I know about this guy, I give it till later this year and he wants to up it to 2,800 hp. How he gets grip off the line with that thing, I'll never know

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ya always want more. My 95 GT runs low 9s. And I'm already wanting 8s! Never enough.