Sponsored

When is enough, enough?

Ricky218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey guys/gals, I wanted to get your opinions on the subject of power. I've had my whipple for about 2 weeks now and have only had time to drive the car twice. It's a blast to drive and makes over 700whp. However, I find myself wanting more power already! At first, I blamed my previous car for making me feel this way(942whp C6 Z06) but I know that know matter how much power you have, theres always someone with more power then you. Being its a street car, that I just drive on the weekends to car meets and occasionally doing some highway rolls in "Mexico" I ask myself wheres the fine line of "usable power"? My C6 Z was over kill on the steets! Or was it? It seems as though cars keep getting lighter and faster! When I was a teenager, if someone had 500whp, it was a big deal. Now a days, people are rolling with 1000+whp:eyebulge:

So, I'm curious to know from you guys and gals, when do you say "I have enough power and dont want anymore"?
Sponsored

Last edited:

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think anything over about 700hp is useless as a real street car. I mean the gt500s and super snakes have more power than they can get to the ground. There's a lot more to building a fast car than just power adders. A 500 hp car that is tuned and setup for daily driving is more fun to me than an 800hp car with no suspension upgrades and no drag radials.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
1st world problems lol

OP
OP
Ricky218

Ricky218

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think anything over about 700hp is useless as a real street car. I mean the gt500s and super snakes have more power than they can get to the ground. There's a lot more to building a fast car than just power adders. A 500 hp car that is tuned and setup for daily driving is more fun to me than an 800hp car with no suspension upgrades and no drag radials.
I agree, there's more that goes into building a fast car but even when you have all the supporting mods, at some point you dont think you'll find yourself wanting more?

Sponsored

BadGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Auto, 1400HP GTR
Back in the day a 500rwhp car was the shit. But with todays technology, 1000rwhp is not that uncommon anymore. Unfortunately Mustangs are a bit harder to get to hook up on the street, so they become roasting machines when you get past the 800rwhp mark and go much slower for the power that they actually make. I had a YSI built z06 making 1000rwhp and it hooked well on the street. I also have a GTR that would of walked away from the z06 hard and it is so damn fun. But once again, with the instant boost PD blowers, you can make 900rwhp, but you are not going to be able to use it. I say pulley down, tune it and add a killer suspension to at least hook it in 2nd gear. Then the rest is on you.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Driving along the streets on a daily basis
- v6 -
Hard to use much more than what that engine offers w/o getting in trouble.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Honestly, it isn't so much about just power, at least not for me.

Obviously none of us are going to be cruising around in perfect cars for $25-30k. Maybe some of the parts aren't as high quality as you'd like or there's something aesthetically you want to upgrade or embellish. It isn't only a car, it's bordering on a work of art at this level. And that's part of the fun in owning a car like this for me; you have an entry-friendly machine in the luxury/power world... you can make it a journey of sorts to really refine it from the factory. Especially if you didn't come into the car-mod game with a ton of experience under hoods and want to ease your way into learning about the more complicated processes that a lot of people probably take for granted. So no, passion shouldn't ever be asked "when is enough enough?" ;)

I can't remember the last time I got hyped about something as small as a push-start cover (just to tighten up the aesthetics every so slightly) or from getting goddamn light bulbs in the mail.

Sponsored

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
Hey guys/gals, I wanted to get your opinions on the subject of power. I've had my whipple for about 2 weeks now and have only had time to drive the car twice. It's a blast to drive and makes over 700whp. However, I find myself wanting more power already! At first, I blamed my previous car for making me feel this way(942whp C6 Z06) but I know that know matter how much power you have, theres always someone with more power then you. Being its a street car, that I just drive on the weekends to car meets and occasionally doing some highway rolls in "Mexico" I ask myself wheres the fine line of "usable power"? My C6 Z was over kill on the steets! Or was it? It seems as though cars keep getting lighter and faster! When I was a teenager, if someone had 500whp, it was a big deal. Now a days, people are rolling with 1000+whp:eyebulge:

So, I'm curious to know from you guys and gals, when do you say "I have enough power and dont want anymore"?
I guess when your tomb stone reads "here lies a person that could never be satisfied with his speed, after he wiped out that family on the sidewalk we scraped his remans off the building and here he lies".

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
This Shelby GT500 Crash Is What Happens When 662 Horsepower Goes Wrong
Not sure what year this car is, but it looks 2011+, and those have a Green in the IIHS Side Impact crash test at least for the Front Seats. The car in this crash didn't look like it was moving all that fast, but if there was a passenger, they would have got hurt

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
This Shelby GT500 Crash Is What Happens When 662 Horsepower Goes Wrong
quote from article:
The YouTube uploader reports that this happened while leaving a car show (no surprise there) and that the driver ended up in the hospital

if there was a passenger, passenger would likely have had broken pelvis, concussion, or worse

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Not sure what year this car is, but it looks 2011+, and those have a Green in the IIHS Side Impact crash test at least for the Front Seats. The car in this crash didn't look like it was moving all that fast, but if there was a passenger, they would have got hurt
It was a '13/'14 GT500. You can tell from the rear tail lights.

It wasn't speed, it was excessive torque and poor traction, probably because the tires were cold.
Sponsored