Sponsored

When did people start saying "drag pack"?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I get it. But I also am a person who places importance on the etymology of language, and I won't use a phrase or slang unless I understand how it was derived.. Just because it's in a meme or a forum or doesn't mean I'll start saying it. People say some things they really shouldn't, just because they heard someone say it on YouTube or whatever.
I understand this approach. But keep in mind people today are attempting to evolve the meaning of very solid things such as the constitution for example, to meet their modern day assumptions of reality. With that being said, the evolution of the term drag pack is pretty easy to digest.
Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Dodge thing. Google challenger hellcat or demon drag pack. Car ships with different tires and wheels to change out for the strip.

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Now a Days?,... probably since dodge came up with all those "performance packs" for the challenger like the 1320, R/T, T/A, scat pack, drag pack, shaker pack, etc ... Also the rise in popularity of Viking shocks.
Real drag packs are gutted cars in order to save weight....now a days drag pack means you drive a " garage queen" with fat tires on the rear.... don't even bother to remove the stock set from the front.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Dodge thing. Google challenger hellcat or demon drag pack. Car ships with different tires and wheels to change out for the strip.
Ford used Drag Pack over 5 decades ago. Came out in 1970 as a factory option.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Ford used Drag Pack over 5 decades ago. Came out in 1970 as a factory option.
when you say 5 decades ago it makes me feel old. :cwl:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
when you say 5 decades ago it makes me feel old. :cwl:
Weird to think 1970 is as long ago this year as 1918 was in 1970!

Sponsored

mustangmango

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
I suppose it's easy to say, and when it comes to street cars the wheel/tire setup is a huge visual impact. In two words it can describe the cars intention. Not only that, it makes sense. Unlike the bizzare labels today's society puts on things. But I digress.

Behold, drag pack....

PXL_20211224_164404877.jpg
Dope

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
At the same time people started calling bolt-ons - "FBO" (From the euro world) Could mean anything.....

Or the people calling the Harmonic Damper a harmonic balancer (4.6L and up modulars are internally balanced)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had a 70 Torino Cobra 429SCJ back in the day. Ford offered a drag pack option.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/venomous-1970-ford-torino-cobra
In THAT vintage context, the Ford "Drag Pack" was not a wheel swap or upgrade... it was more than wheel appearance, it was upgrading a variety of components selected when buying the vehicle,, including the engine over the base or standard "as built" and the combined performance components upgraded = "Ford Drag Pack".

To me, just swapping out wheels to go racing isn't a "drag pack" - it's putting on "slicks and skinnies" to go run the 1/4.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Drag Pack
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Drag Pack was Ford Motor Company's marketing name for an option package available in the United States for some of its car models that included a remote mounted oil cooler and higher ratio rear axle gear (plus engine components on some models). This option is printed on the factory invoice as Drag Pack, Super Drag Pack, Drag Pak, or Super Drag Pak (the spelling "Pak" was used by the Lincoln/Mercury division of Ford). The only known exception is a factory equipped Boss 302 Mustang with the Drag Pack option, which was not marketed by Ford as such, or by any other name.[1]
At the start of the 1970 model year, Ford began installing the Drag Pack on approximately 10% of Boss 302 Mustangs. For those who were aware of it, this free Drag Pack upgrade was available simply by ordering a 4.30 rear axle ratio. The only known exceptions are two early production vehicles with 3.91 axle ratio (special factory orders which received the oil cooler), and two 4.30 axle ratio vehicles (which reportedly did not receive their intended oil cooler, possibly the result of a supply problem). The 4.30 axle ratio exceptions are insignificant in terms of establishing a meaningful pattern, as they represent a normal (1970) production line margin of error.
Donald Farr's book, Mustang Boss 302, is considered to be the bible of Boss 302 Mustangs. Farr notes on page 78 that
"One engine performance option remained a mystery since Ford failed to publish any information about its availability, although many cars were so equipped. The engine oil cooler, a known Drag Pack option for the 428 Cobra Jet, was frequently found on Boss 302 Mustangs although listed as not available for the Boss 302 in Ford literature. However, it appears that many Boss 302s were factory equipped with a Drag Pack option."

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
In THAT vintage context, the Ford "Drag Pack" was not a wheel swap or upgrade... it was more than wheel appearance, it was upgrading a variety of components selected when buying the vehicle,, including the engine over the base or standard "as built" and the combined performance components upgraded = "Ford Drag Pack".

To me, just swapping out wheels to go racing isn't a "drag pack" - it's putting on "slicks and skinnies" to go run the 1/4.
Regardless of how the term is used today, that was the first official use of "drag pack".
Sponsored