Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

TomOz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 Ruby Red, 5.0 / 10 speed
I wonder why the new oil filler cap says 5W-30, while the oil that's recommended in the revised manual is actually 0W-30.
What? Is that specifically for lower temp environments?
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I always do but still a battle that the car only takes 9 quarts and then I have to pull the owner’s manual to show them
Just have them pull out the dipstick and check the level. I had free oil changes from Toyota and 7 out of 8 changes did it wrong. I had Ford change it and told them it took 10 qts and the rep said that they know what they are doing and would not list it on the ticket. Guess what, they only put in 8 qts.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Just have them pull out the dipstick and check the level. I had free oil changes from Toyota and 7 out of 8 changes did it wrong. I had Ford change it and told them it took 10 qts and the rep said that they know what they are doing and would not list it on the ticket. Guess what, they only put in 8 qts.
now with my 2021 GT Premium requiring 5W30 now I worry that they will put less than 10 quarts and the wrong oil. I again got these points for the new car but I think I will use it to buy accessories and do my own oil changes. I rather have my peace of mind.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My concern is take it to the dealership for oil change, tell them to use 5w30 and they put in 5w20 because that's what it says on the oil cap. It's hard enough to get them to put 10 quarts in. :crazy:
They don't look at the oil cap, the system tells them what to put in based on the VIN when they log it into their service system. There's no escape other than doing it yourself.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
They don't look at the oil cap, the system tells them what to put in based on the VIN when they log it into their service system. There's no escape other than doing it yourself.
Hmmm, if they are looking at the system, why then when mustang GT's changed to 10 quarts did they still put the older amount in? I agree with doing it yourself. I won't let them rotate tires anymore because of putting down they did it when they did not and other problems. Thank you for the info on how they are supposed to be doing it, and that is not a smart ass comment, I appreciate the info on how the Ford system works, knowledge is power.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hmmm, if they are looking at the system, why then when mustang GT's changed to 10 quarts did they still put the older amount in? I agree with doing it yourself. I won't let them rotate tires anymore because of putting down they did it when they did not and other problems. Thank you for the info on how they are supposed to be doing it, and that is not a smart ass comment, I appreciate the info on how the Ford system works, knowledge is power.
I mean sometimes the person doing it has done 5 Mustangs that day and doesn't need to look at what the car needs specifically. And if they did 5 15-17 Mustangs that day and forget that your 18 needs 10 quarts, then oh well.

That's why I don't understand why Ford won't backspec this unless some major change has been made. The guy who knows it all will just keep putting 5W20 in the new ones without batting an eye.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
I mean sometimes the person doing it has done 5 Mustangs that day and doesn't need to look at what the car needs specifically. And if they did 5 15-17 Mustangs that day and forget that your 18 needs 10 quarts, then oh well.

That's why I don't understand why Ford won't backspec this unless some major change has been made. The guy who knows it all will just keep putting 5W20 in the new ones without batting an eye.
That's exactly how it happens. I like your comment, there is no escape except changing your own.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What? Is that specifically for lower temp environments?
The on-line manual doesn't mention a specific viscosity grade. It says just "Castrol Magnatec WSS-M2C950-A". But a Google search for that specification seems to indicate that it's a 0W-30.

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 08.29.51.png

So, why does the filler cap say 5W-30?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's why I don't understand why Ford won't backspec this unless some major change has been made.
That's easy. It would be admitting a mistake, be another argument for attorneys representing denied warranty victims, and don't forget.....

Ford wanted to spec 5W30 in other cars but deliver and test them with 5W20. The govt told them not on your life. Entirely reasonable for the gov to say hold on there, we're going to "backspec" your CAFE numbers for the cars you backspeced the oil.

TomOz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 Ruby Red, 5.0 / 10 speed
The on-line manual doesn't mention a specific viscosity grade. It says just "Castrol Magnatec WSS-M2C950-A". But a Google search for that specification seems to indicate that it's a 0W-30.
Interesting.
That spec engine oil seems to be for diesel engines.
After seeing the wrong spec engine in my manual, it's likely Ford has made a mistake.

"Ford WSS-M2C950-A
Special engine oil for Ford Focus Diesel 2.0 manufatured from September 2014 and Ford Mondeo Diesel 2.0 manufactured from 2015. Viscosity should be SAE 0W-30."

My updated manual for my 2018 says to use WSS-M2C913-D.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 08.29.51.png

So, why does the filler cap say 5W-30?
Not interested in what the cap reads, finding out that 5W-30 can be used is all I needed to find out.

Have enough experience to make a decision that fits . All this tick shit happening after the first oil change ........ comes to mind.

Believe it or not googly is not the final word, it is politically biased, not reliable .

Go back the to FORD for specific answers. Oil is oil, lubrication in the important target . 0w for V8, not even entertaining the though of such.

Another import item not mentioned ....... oil impacts the cooling of the block , 20 - 30 - 50

Glenn 70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
1970 mach 1 mustang
Last week, my wife took delivery of her 2021 Mustang GT Convertible (PP1, 401A, 10SP, MagneRide, Twister Orange). I had spent the better part of 2018 obsessing about Mustang GTs (before taking a break after buying a different car), so I felt pretty confident I knew everything I needed to know about this car.

So imagine my surprise when I saw that Ford now officially specs 5W-30 oil for the GT in the owners manual. To make sure I wasn't looking at the wrong information, I looked up the recommended engine oil on the Amsoil website and it indeed comes back as 5W-30. However, if I switch to a 2018 Mustang GT, the recommended oil is still 5W-20. (Of course, my assumption is that the engine itself has not changed in any meaningful way.)

I recall from a few years ago heated debates about using 5W-20 vs 5W-30. In short, one camp took the position that Ford engineers know best and why would you put your warranty coverage at risk by going with another type of oil. The other camp believed that Ford only recommended 5W-20 to meet CAFE requirements and 5W-30 will provide better protection (especially if you ever put any amount of stress on the engine).

This raises a few questions for me:
When did Ford make this change? Why doesn't Ford change the recommended engine oil for GTs from previous years (and would they seriously deny a warranty claim for using 5W-30 at this point)? Does this end the 5W-20 vs 5W-30 debate (or do we get to argue about 5W-30 vs 5W-50 now)?
In Australia 5w30 was in my service book from new early 2016 model , but 5w20 still on the oil cap

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Why would anyone have confidence in the dealer filling the correct capacity of oil? Just watch from a distance how the impact gun used at 400 ft/lbs is used to “torque” your oil drain bolt. Quit being lazy, get off the couch by some race ramps & change your oil then you know who screwed it up. 5W-20 or 5W-30 😴

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Why would anyone have confidence in the dealer filling the correct capacity of oil? Just watch from a distance how the impact gun used at 400 ft/lbs is used to “torque” your oil drain bolt. Quit being lazy, get off the couch by some race ramps & change your oil then you know who screwed it up. 5W-20 or 5W-30 😴
While you think that people that don’t want to do their own oil change is because they are being lazy, just like myself I was worried about warranty. Now a days a receipt isn’t enough. You need photos and written documentation to prove your case. Also where I live I can’t wrench in my drive way but can do whatever I want because the closed garage doors. Now if you live in an apartment complex you might not have any options and the dealer might be your only option.
Sponsored