Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Everyone should keep whatever records make them sleep well. I'm 100% happy with just logging my oil changes on the Ford website listing the date/mileage/brand/spec/quantity/price of the oil and filter.

Got an url to that log page/listing?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Got an url to that log page/listing?
I can't post a link because its behind a sign in.

At Ford.com, at the bottom of the page is a section heading: Owner.

First create a free account and register your Ford Vehicles. Then drill down to Service History which will already show dealer activity. On that page click on "add service entry" and the rest is explanatory or intuitive other than maybe entering "my home/garage/???" for the location for "other Location".

1618842635636.png

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride

First create a free account and register your Ford Vehicles. Then drill down to Service History which will already show dealer activity. On that page click on "add service entry" and the rest is explanatory or intuitive other than maybe entering "my home/garage/???" for the location for "other Location".

1618842635636.png
Thank you, this is a good idea I think.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
My 2021 came with 5W30. I currently have 700 miles at 1000 miles I will be changing the oil out. Will put the same weight oil will report back if there's no ticks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I use 5W30 in my 2018. No noises or issues.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If you put 5 qts of 5w-30 & 5 qts 5w-20 will it equal 5w-25. Might be the fix for the tick also....
No, that’s not how it works. If you mix 5w20 and 5w30, the result is either 5w20 if the kinematic viscosity is <9.3 cst or 5w30 if it’s 9.3+.

If you want to alter the viscosity in an attempt to address a noise, you’d probably just go to a 40 like I’m running or even 50 like the roush cars and gt500.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
This is what I will be doing myself, doesn't hurt to have enough proof for any future claims in case oil changes come in question.
Not to make things even messier, but how does Ford know what you actually put in the engine at that time? Just because you have a picture of yourself holding a jug of 5w20 in front of your Mustang does not really prove anything besides the fact that you are in the possession of a plastic oil jug.

Unless you video yourself breaking the seal off that jug and then pouring it into the engine, that would be the only way to actually prove what you just did.

All you have to do is just keep taking pictures every 3 months posing with the same jug of oil and then print out fake receipts from Walmart dated every 3 months.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Not to make things even messier, but how does Ford know what you actually put in the engine at that time? Just because you have a picture of yourself holding a jug of 5w20 in front of your Mustang does not really prove anything besides the fact that you are in the possession of a plastic oil jug.

Unless you video yourself breaking the seal off that jug and then pouring it into the engine, that would be the only way to actually prove what you just did.

All you have to do is just keep taking pictures every 3 months posing with the same jug of oil and then print out fake receipts from Walmart dated every 3 months.
Just duplicate the file, change the save as date. Then you only need to change the oil every 3 - 5 years.

Thing with the receipts, if thermal printed, THEY fade white.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Let's be honest, Ford can deny any warranty claim they want for any reason. Will they? Probably not, unless the tech sees that the original filter is still on there from the factory and you're at 15K+. But covering yourself is always a good idea.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

1618842635636.png
Thanks for the head's up. I tried and I hit Save but I do not see it added to the list of Service that has been done. Does it take a while to show or is it instant?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks for the head's up. I tried and I hit Save but I do not see it added to the list of Service that has been done. Does it take a while to show or is it instant?
Don't recall but expect it to be instant, HOWEVER, their web site is somewhat flakey and I wouldn't be surprised if you might have to leave and return to the page.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I did it three times with logout each time and it did not save the data. I am glad our cars work better than the webpage... well mostly :).
Sponsored