Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
That's tired.

Even the GT isn't a straight line car these days.
I think that is a reference to Mach 1's being their primary drag racing, straight line car, like the BOSS being a road race car.
Sponsored

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
I'm probably reading too much into this, but it looks like Ford Racing has just started offering a 5.0 block and crank bundle (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6010-M50B). Could this be an indication that the 5.0 is being phased out for something else (like a 5.2)?

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
Interesting. The other thread does indicate the the engine will be a 5.0, but in addition to direct injection, it indicates that Ford will move to a block with plasma transferred wire arc cylinder bores.

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
If they do a Mach 1 I'm pretty sure it'll either just be a package for the regular GT beyond the Performance Package, or be a "limited edition" submodel like the previous Mach 1 and Bullitt. Slightly changed but still mostly just a regular GT. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Mach 1 was just a dress-up package with a cool hood, stripes, wheels and a spoiler. Maybe a more aggressive exhaust and/or intake taken from the Ford Performance packs and that's it. Price it between 40-50k and it'll do great and won't step on any toes in the Mustang lineup. There's a huge gap between a loaded GTPP and a Shelby where having a car in the middle would make sense.
The previous Mach 1 was not "mostly just a regular GT" as you put it. The most notable change was the completely different engine than that of the GT. The aluminum DOHC 4.6 though rated at 305 hp was actually in the 320 to 330 HP range. That was 60-70 hp more than the regular GT. Then there was the Brembo brakes, Tokico struts/shocks, stiffer springs and sway bars, 1/2" lower ride height, 03/04 cobra lower control arms with stiffer bushings, Magnum 500 style wheels, comfort weave seats, retro gauges, different C pillar sail panels, 5th gear (.62 vs .67), rear end gear (3.55 vs 3.27), hood, shaker hood scoop, decals, black rear wing, aluminum shift ball, and louder exhaust with rolled exhaust tips.

All the changes made to the 03-04's above and beyond the typical wheel and decal job are why I'm optimistic that the next Mach 1 will be more than just a dress up package. I believe that the engine will be unique to the Mach 1's. We'll see....

Last edited:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is running out of room in the Mustang Market for another Trim. The GT500 will regain te Top level from the GT350.

I think it makes more sense to rename the GT Performance Package as the MACH 1 and give it special badging and stripes and it can go on either the base GT or GT premium.

You would have a Echo PP then a GT Mach 1.

Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Make the Performance Pack available with a drag pack package (Mach 1) consisting of the MagneRide, 10 speed Auto, unique engine (similar to '03, '04), premium interior and unique appointments (such as the red stripe in the seats or cloth seating surfaces with leather side and back panels), Mach 1 specific graphics and/or stripes, modern interpretation of the hood scoop (similar to the '71 NACA ducts would look good) and maybe a special calibration toggle switch for the MagneRide and engine to enhance dragstrip usage.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Does anyone remember how much of a premium the 2003 Mach1 demanded over the GT?
I'm thinking it wasn't that huge of a price penalty

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
I'm still trying to figure out where the rumor for a Mach 1 began.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
A spray bore 4V DI Hurricane short deck 10 speed at 5.8 Liters Mach1 option called "Cobra Jet"

Sponsored
OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the GT was $22kish and the Mach 1 was just under $30k so about 35% premium.
Yikes...that's more than I suspected.
Thanks for the fact check!

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
A spray bore 4V DI Hurricane short deck 10 speed at 5.8 Liters Mach1 option called "Cobra Jet"
:eyebulge: I think I would cream myself a little if Ford gave us that!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Not sure what sort of reputation this website has, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2016/08/more-performance-on-the-way-for-mustang/#.V7sb7pgrLIU

"Things have been pretty quiet on the Mustang news desk when it comes to new specialty models as Ford has been busy talking up the new Focus RS and Ford GT, but this is all about to change in the coming year.

Two high-performance variations of the Ford Mustang are expected to break cover in the coming year, one of them at least before the end of calendar year 2016.

One of them, the long awaited return of the Mach 1. While some might ask when Ford will come up with something new instead of rehashing the same old themes, a Mach 1 will surely sell every copy they can make.

How comprehensive a package the Mach 1 will be is not yet entirely known. Test mules spotted around Ford’s Dearborn campus have shown cars with a different front fascia and rear spoiler treatment among a few detail changes.

Powering the Mach 1 is expected to be the 5.0-liter V8 with potentially a small but of extra power by way of a few adds like a higher flow exhaust and and perhaps a return of the shaker hood. Test mules however don’t reflect the latter.

A Mach 1 would serve to answer the extra track and performance adds a Chevrolet customer could get with the 1LE on top of the Camaro. This means the Mach 1 should be expected to have a more aggressive tire and wheel combination and a tighter suspension than the GT.

Interior treatments would feature special seat patterns and embroidered this and that just as have special editions in the past. The Mach 1 is not expected until a late 2017 or early 2018 model year launch and could hasten the return of at least one heritage color combination.

The big Cahuna is the return of the Shelby GT-500. Expected for late 2017 or early 2018 on the 50th Anniversary of the original GT-500. This new top-dog Mustang will seek to get back its honor having been eaten at lately by the likes of the Hellcat and ZL1.

Powering the GT-500 is yet the discussion. Reports out in the media suggest either a 5.2 or a 5.0 liter V8 with some form of forced-induction. Turbocharging or supercharging is still a question, with no definitive answers.

Horsepower should however be up in the 700-plus range, topping at least one of its pony car rivals, the Camaro ZL1 at 650 horsepower and the Challenger Hellcat at 707. The test mules seen and heard in the video from Mustang6g.com don’t yet give up much in their sound, but do show a GT-350 body package taken up a significant notch.

A unique front clip will draw from the more rounded and open mouthed look from the last generation GT-500. At the rear of the GT-500 test mules much is the same with exception of a larger pedestal wing.

At least one of the cars is likely to make its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show this winter and the other likely at Detroit. Will they make us wait until next spring at the New York Auto Show? Maybe, but our bet is on the two winter shows. Stay tuned"

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Apparently a lot of people forgot the GT500 bowed in 1967. :doh: 2018 will be a tad late.....

(1967 arguably the best looking year.....)

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)