Wheels covered under warranty?

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
Washing my car the other day i noticed some black paint flaking off from the inside and down the side of of one of the spokes. Its clearly not been damaged or impacted so its not my fault if that makes sense.

Would something like this be covered under warranty?

I paid for the extra alloy wheel insurance when i bought the car which allows free refurbs if i damage them so i'm sure it'd be covered under that, but i'm not sure i want a 3rd party company to refurb the wheel incase the finish doesn't match my other wheels, so would prefer a replacement wheel from Ford.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?
Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Have you had the car from new? If so and haven’t had the wheels repainted then as long as you are within your First 3 years it should be covered under manufacturers warranty and you may get a new wheel, But they won’t give you a new wheel with that commission driven wheel insurance, it’ll just be repainted on your drive, it’s black don’t worry it’ll look the same!

OP
OP
marzman

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
Yeah had it from new, and no not had the wheel painted previously.

I'll give Ford a call then and see what they say, cheers!

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I liked my OEM wheels but they were really heavy and poorly painted, so I replaced them with Shelby CS3s.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Good luck with that...

Ford advised me the corrosion on my alloys was due to stone chips and therefore not covered by warranty. There is no escalation/disagreement process. The dealers decision is final.

I struggle to see how the inside edge of the spokes are a likely target for a stone when the paintwork is unmarked...

For me it was just another reason I ditched the dealer network ASAP. It’s all about profit - or minimising warranty costs - not about a pleasant customer experience.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
For me it was just another reason I ditched the dealer network ASAP. It’s all about profit - or minimising warranty costs - not about a pleasant customer experience.
Very true for the vast majority sadly. A handful of good ones though.

On this subject (sort of) has anyone had their stock GT wheels resprayed/powder coated? This is something I'm interesting in doing and it would be handy to know what sort of costs/results folks have experienced.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Count on ÂŁ80 to ÂŁ90 a wheel for good quality powder coat including tyre fitting etc :like:

WD:like:

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine have got little black spots/raised areas on the insides of the spokes near the hub. 99% certain this sin't from stone chips and I never noticed the same problem on my last 'stand with the same wheels in black. I will be mentioning it at the next service.

I've seen it come up elsewhere and some have successfully had them replaced under warranty.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I've seen it come up elsewhere and some have successfully had them replaced under warranty.
Yup that’s Fords stance

If the alloy is defective, a new wheel is fitted under warranty.

it’s not possible to touch it up in their state of the art body shop:headbang:

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm not even gonna mention it until it goes in for its next service in November - I can't do with the hassle of handing my car over to Ford on two separate occasions so close together!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just for referance as it’s topical and I collected them today, £90 per corner in dark anthracite powder coat and gloss lacquer (ignore the tyre soap etc) :

369-D8-FFF-A481-4-C4-C-99-D2-1-C26-EC9-EC9-F5.jpg

A9109337-8-E54-4-F99-989-A-07-CDEFB72-CAC.jpg

And yes, the back of the spokes and barrel are done to the same standard as the front :

0-D2-C1-F88-C637-4-B07-B5-E7-54-AFE2-E947-FC.jpg

WD :like:

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Black spots on silver wheels are just overspray from the under seal sprayed on at the docks. Should come off with some thinners or similar.
Sponsored