Under Sealing

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
Maybe a stupid question but why don't they get under sealed in America? I mean, they have all weathers and some over there.
Was the S197 under sealed? Anyone have any problems years down the line? Anyone here with an import (& not under sealed) prepared to shed light on any underside rust issues?
It's something to do with finishing the car in Europe to get around trade tariffs or some such. I'm sure US market cars are undersealed properly. I gather some companies get radios screwed in on arrival. A much better idea as I'm sure we'd instantly know whether the job was done properly. "Radio?" check.
Sponsored

9111tiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GT RHD & S550 Convertible LHD, 09 Bulli
If your car is a "keeper" invest a few hundred ÂŁ's

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
It's something to do with finishing the car in Europe to get around trade tariffs or some such. I'm sure US market cars are undersealed properly. I gather some companies get radios screwed in on arrival. A much better idea as I'm sure we'd instantly know whether the job was done properly. "Radio?" check.
No. S197s were not undersealed, at least not in 2006. US perforation warranty is 5 years; ours is 12. We use more salt. They are painted underneath but no underseal. If the car is garaged and/or not driven when the roads are coated in salt it's not a problem. Daily driver is a different matter. I'd like to know where all the US built BMW SUVs for Europe get coated and what Ford plans to do with the Canadian built Edge.

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
No. S197s were not undersealed, at least not in 2006. US perforation warranty is 5 years; ours is 12. We use more salt. They are painted underneath but no underseal. If the car is garaged and/or not driven when the roads are coated in salt it's not a problem. Daily driver is a different matter. I'd like to know where all the US built BMW SUVs for Europe get coated and what Ford plans to do with the Canadian built Edge.
Whoops, you are correct. Just revisited a couple of CJPP Bill's fitment videos and all that is there is paint. Thin paint at that.

OP
OP

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The US cars have no undersealing on them, you can see this from the many photos on the US sites when they've taken pics from under the car.
Sponsored