1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I found that just adding wheel spacers really help give the car that extra "can't put your finger on it", you were looking for. All while keeping the original look.
Sponsored

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Picture

Would love to add a picture too, but can't seem to upload any without errors. So, if interested, check my album.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Frustratingly illegal here in Australia! Don't ask, there is no rational reason given...

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Figured out how to add pictures.
user34542_pic12095_1522614545.jpg
user34542_pic12096_1522614545.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
1 inch up front. 1.25 in the rear.

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Now I can see it needs to be lowered in the front. Dammit. I knew spacers were a gateway drug.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Frustratingly illegal here in Australia! Don't ask, there is no rational reason given...

Buy the right wheels and you don't need them.

The bolt on spacers are less strong/safe than no spacers, so it's not surprising that some of the stricter safety agencies ban them.

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Buy the right wheels and you don't need them.

The bolt on spacers are less strong/safe than no spacers, so it's not surprising that some of the stricter safety agencies ban them.
It depend on which ones you get. In this case "you get what you pay for" really means something. Adapter, which sound like what you're referring to, tend to be to less expensive route. Those can be as you described, however, for those who pay a few more sheckles, they can actually be stronger.

Spacers on the other hand are just that, spacers. You put on longer studs, and then just fill in the gaps. A mechanic told me if you do it, that's the way to go.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Bolt on spacers/adapters can never be stronger. As they add a new bolted joint into the system. 2 joints is weaker than 1, and has twice the failure points. And makes maintaining proper torques 10x harder because you now can't get to both joints at the same time.

Bolt through spacers aren't stronger either, though better than bolt on if you have enough thread engagement. Now if you add longer, stronger studs everything gets better (and can be stronger than stock). But the spacer itself doesn't help, it's the new studs that make it better (that would also make a spacer free setup better).

Sponsored
OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Bolt on spacers/adapters can never be stronger. As they add a new bolted joint into the system. 2 joints is weaker than 1, and has twice the failure points. And makes maintaining proper torques 10x harder because you now can't get to both joints at the same time.

Bolt through spacers aren't stronger either, though better than bolt on if you have enough thread engagement. Now if you add longer, stronger studs everything gets better (and can be stronger than stock). But the spacer itself doesn't help, it's the new studs that make it better (that would also make a spacer free setup better).
So what I'm hearing from you is that I'm right, and spacers are awesome. Good, I'm glad we agree.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Bolt on spacers/adapters can never be stronger. As they add a new bolted joint into the system. 2 joints is weaker than 1, and has twice the failure points.
From an engineering perspective you are trading tensile loads (trying to stretch the studs) for shear loads (trying to rip the spacer in half). Tensile is much stronger. I did extended ARP studs and slip on spacers (13mm rear/15 mm front). Not that hard to do it right.

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
How often do you wheel spacer users actually check the torque on your bolt on spacers? I know every XXX miles is recommended. Are there some of you that don't even check? Do you have any issues with losing torque in the lugs nuts?

Just asking because I plan on installing mine soon

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say check them whenever you rotate your tires which I do about every 5k. When you first install them check it after 100 or so to be safe, but they should hold pretty steady.

Also worth pointing out that I thought my 20mm spacer was fitting fine, but the lugs were just a touch too long and digging in to the back of the wheel. Thanks to Steeda for pointing that out when they installed the alignment kit along with my sway bars today.

You might want to check how your wheels are sitting right now. Unfortunately there is a LOT of play in how the IRS can be set up from the factory which means the wheels are more in or out on either side. Last time my cradle was dropped, it ended up significantly more to the driver side which is why I tried the 20mm there with the 25mm on the passenger side. Steeda's alignment kit (regular or CB005 version) guarantees it'll be aligned perfectly each time which means that the wheels will sit exactly the same on both sides. Once you notice one poking a bit and the other one is tucked...it drives you a little crazy if you're like me.

OP
OP
1Silver1Red

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I'd say check them whenever you rotate your tires which I do about every 5k. When you first install them check it after 100 or so to be safe, but they should hold pretty steady.

Also worth pointing out that I thought my 20mm spacer was fitting fine, but the lugs were just a touch too long and digging in to the back of the wheel. Thanks to Steeda for pointing that out when they installed the alignment kit along with my sway bars today.

You might want to check how your wheels are sitting right now. Unfortunately there is a LOT of play in how the IRS can be set up from the factory which means the wheels are more in or out on either side. Last time my cradle was dropped, it ended up significantly more to the driver side which is why I tried the 20mm there with the 25mm on the passenger side. Steeda's alignment kit (regular or CB005 version) guarantees it'll be aligned perfectly each time which means that the wheels will sit exactly the same on both sides. Once you notice one poking a bit and the other one is tucked...it drives you a little crazy if you're like me.
Crap, I thought that was all a Solid Rear End issue, and that the IRS solved that. My 05 still drives me nuts with the constant need to readjust the panhard bar. Good to know that it's still something to keep an eye out for.

While I haven't seen any uneven wheel/fender lineup, I have noticed that the rear wheels do camber in quite a bit in the rear. I was told by a ford service tech that it's like that from the factory.
Sponsored