Wheel spacers installed with impact wrench

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Baso, Apr 7, 2019.

1. 505bbjason

505bbjason Active Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
    0   0   0
    The ISO standard for a baseline fastener torque is to achieve 75% of the tensile loading required to yield the fastener. This value is a calculation based on the yield strength of the fastener material, and the minimum cross section of the fastener. Since like minor diameter of a fine thread is larger than coarse thread, the tensile load to yield the fastener is higher, and the suggested baseline torque is higher.

^^This statement is generic, and is where values in most torque tables comes from. In most applications it is adequate.

Now Ford likely performed additional calculations to validate their specified torque values, but as soon as someone changes that fastened joint be it by a wheel with a thicker flange, a spacer interface, or by having a different wheel alloy, error is introduced into those calculations. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you go look in a torque table for a class 12.9 M14 fastener with fine thread, I bet it will be pretty damn close to 150 ft-lbs. I’d also be willing to bet Ford’s engineers calculated number wasn’t exactly 150 ft-lbs either, but it was likely close enough that 150 was chosen for convenience while still falling within a safe margin.

As for my credentials, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Montana State University. My day job is designing tools, machines, and processes to produce the afterburner assembly for the F135 engine used in the F35 fighter jet. I also am a mechanic on a pro-modified car that has gone 5.81 at 250mph in the quarter mile during the summer months. Check my post history for a photo of it if you care.

Epiphany and bjstang like this.
  2. bjstang

bjstang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Premiums a.k.a "Crazy Horse" & "Doll"
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    You are getting a little long winded, and once again, try to use your big boy words, potty mouth.

I feel bad that you lost the shop at such an early age, but with your attitude, I can understand why!

An image is something that can be seen, but it is not physically there. It can be a photograph, a painting, or a picture on a television or computer screen. A lens can make an image of an object appear somewhere else. Cameras use this to make the image that becomes a photograph.

In those terms, only at the tire shop.

Easy cowboy, you are misspelling your words, slow down a little. I believe our forum vendors, it's a free country, it's my right to believe who I want.

Your spelling needs some attention for sure.

Bahahaha, good luck with that!

And, is there more to this story? Yes, there is, how special.

Hmmm, so far you haven’t stated anything more than a teenager learns in their first month at Tire Rack, but please go on, and on, and on....

Wow, thanks for all that. I'll have to purchase some of those billit aluminum spacers, I've been using billet aluminum for decades.

Hope you got it off your chest. Spacers coming off and killing families is fake news. There are more images of spacers being broken, cracked, or chiseled off, because of incompetent mechanics. Continue on with your quest to save the world, one spacer at a time.

ahl395 likes this.
  3. Wile-E Coyote

Wile-E Coyote Active Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 race red GT PP
    0   0   0
    You're an idiot. I hope your wheel falls off.

4. bjstang

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    I expected you would say something like that. Your concern for the safety of the world is made up, just like your retirement. Wile-E Coyote is the one that has trouble with wheels coming off.

The Road Runner always wins. :clap:

16Fastback likes this.
  5. VinnAY

VinnAY Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Who knew lugnut torque would go this far LOLOL

ahl395 and bjstang like this.
  6. pike1346

pike1346 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
    0   0   0
    You probably should not post online that you are an engineer for the F35 engine......did the govt say this was okay, I highly doubt that. All of China is trying to hack you now....good job. China is trying to get their hands on that engine, and you post this on a forum???? WTF man?

7. 505bbjason

505bbjason Active Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
    0   0   0
    There is no restriction on saying that I work for a supplier of hardware on that engine. I have not exchanged any technical data of the hardware, nor do I possess any technical data outside of work. Everything I have said is public knowledge.

Epiphany likes this.
  8. Southview

Southview Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Herby
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium Convertible
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Come on guys. Keep it simple. If the tire shop used a Harbor Freight impact, then 4 ugga uggas are about 110ft/lbs of torque. If it was a Snap On, 3 ugga uggas equals around 150ft/lbs of torque.

bjstang likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Baso

Baso Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bassem
    Vehicle(s):
    Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
    0   0   0
    Not sure what brand the wrench was, but I know it was a pneumatic driver. As for ugga uggas, I'm assuming those are the tuck tuck tuck clunks the tool does when the nut goes fully through, so if can recall I could hear about 3-4 for every nut.

Epiphany likes this.
  10. bjstang

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    LOL, it happens everytime when it comes to wheel spacer torque, drive-by-wire products, muffler sounds/drone, etc...

Even stating cold hard, well documented, undisputed facts, people start going ballistic, making stuff up, and spreading fake news.

For example, if someone says, “The Red Mustang is the best selling, best looking Mustang ever produced”. Some people just go :crazy:

:)

VinnAY likes this.
  11. 1380KPOI

1380KPOI Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Poi Boy
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT Premium
    0   0   0
    For me it’s pretty simple. I followed the instructions which came inside the box. It made it perfectly clear:

Spacer to Hub - factory spec (150 ft/lbs)
    Wheel to Spacer - 85 to 95 ft/lbs
    Do not use and inpact wrench

12. 20ducks

20ducks Active Member

First Name:
    Greg G.
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
    Retired Detailer
    0   0   0
    I'm a newbie to the torque war. Will anyone tell me what the torque rating is for 20" Mustang wheels using stock lugs without spacers, please.

13. 20ducks

20ducks Active Member

First Name:
    Greg G.
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
    Retired Detailer
    0   0   0
    I would consult the book, but, the dealer forgot to put it in the "secret" compartment in the glove box. I cannot retrieve it until Tuesday. So with all the knowledge this group has shared in this space I figured I would get a reliable answer. I was told by some that I should be careful of what I ask though. It may result in a simple hypothetical question of "what time is it...", and being told how to build a clock. Too hard to believe something like that would happen here. Or would it?

14. wade001

wade001 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Wade
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
    0   0   0
    from the online manual:
    upload_2020-6-21_8-18-56.png

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...etCode=US&bookcode=O94050&VIN=&userMarket=USA

[email protected] likes this.
  15. kz

kz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustangs & F150
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Btw (since you've got an answer already) - all user manuals are available on-line and much easier to access than printed one in the glove box even if you have a car in the garage. I look things up (mainly specs on fluids or battery type or whatever) in it all the time (since wife has F-150 and I don't have this memorized).