Wheel lock Troubles

S550Felipe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I recently got my 2017 Mustang GT 6 speed manual . I was trying to take off my wheels but I couldn’t because it has wheel locks. I have the key for the lug nuts but under the lug nut there is another key. The lock is on every wheel on only one wheel stud. Does anyone know the proper name for this or where I can get a key for it. The dealer I got it from was not able to help me .
Sponsored

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
I recently got my 2017 Mustang GT 6 speed manual . I was trying to take off my wheels but I couldn’t because it has wheel locks. I have the key for the lug nuts but under the lug nut there is another key. The lock is on every wheel on only one wheel stud. Does anyone know the proper name for this or where I can get a key for it. The dealer I got it from was not able to help me .
Can you post a photo? Usually there’s just the one locking lugnut on each wheel that requires a key.

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Did you search the entire car? Trunk, glovebox, center console, under the seats, ect?

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Wow, what is that? Have never seen anything like that.
That does not look like anything I've seen commercially available to be bought and put on to lock the wheels.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's unlikely that you will be able to get a new key without knowing the manufacturer and the lock code. Sometimes there is an added sticker somewhere on the car indicating that info. It could be just about anywhere, trunk, spare tire well, glove box,door jamb, under the hood, etc.
Personally I think your best bet is going to be to look up some YouTube videos on removing wheel locks without the key. There are tons of them. Basically you find a socket that barely fits, has to be pounded on, and use that to take the lock off.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The dealer I got it from was not able to help me
You bought the car from this dealer? Bring it back and tell them to figure it out. They sold you a car you cannot remove the wheels from. Sorry, but this is just ridiculous.

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can you post a pic of the whole face of the rim and then another of the initial locking lug cap you removed. both top side and underside of it?

Also please post a pic of the top and bottom of your “key” that you used to remove the first lock.

I’ve also never seen that type of locking lug (if it is one).

It almost appears as if the lug stud has a weird locking washer that was under the locking lug you have removed...

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don’t know what the hell that is but it’s not normal and isn’t a wheel lock.
They're not normal, but they ARE a wheel lock. Forgot the brand, but are super expensive. And basically theft-proof. I've only seen high-end cars with super expensive wheels with those, not a Mustang. Hopefully somebody else here will remember the brand, so the OP can contact them. Or better yet, contact the dealer where the car was purchased, and demand to get the wheels off (basically in pieces. Ha ha)... if unsuccessful with the above. Good luck.

OP
OP
S550Felipe

S550Felipe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
They're not normal, but they ARE a wheel lock. Forgot the brand, but are super expensive. And basically theft-proof. I've only seen high-end cars with super expensive wheels with those, not a Mustang. Hopefully somebody else here will remember the brand, so the OP can contact them. Or better yet, contact the dealer where the car was purchased, and demand to get the wheels off (basically in pieces. Ha ha)... if unsuccessful with the above. Good luck.
The car came w VIP Modular wheels so I bet that’s why he put those locks on. But thank you !

Spinr33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
You can always get another new set, and just hammer a socket onto The current ones so you can remove them that’s all they do at tire shops.

They just look like cheap generic lock nut anyway wouldn’t hurt to replace, trying to find a replacement key might Cost more then another new set and hard to track down a lot of times they don’t sell the removal tool separately.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
IIRC, a standard spark plug socket is used. You're simply going to have to buy 4 of them as throwaways. 'Cause once you pound the socket over the lock, they are married like dogs in heat. :cwl:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The car came w VIP Modular wheels so I bet that’s why he put those locks on. But thank you !
Take the car to a high end tire shop. They should have a kit with damn near every master key needed to remove wheel locks.
Sponsored